Cost to rent a condo for a week or two?

hankster

Full time employment: Posting here.
We like to get away for a winter warm up every year. Favorite destinations are Hawaii, Phoenix, San Diego and Palm Springs. Anyone have experience with renting a condo or small apartment for one to two weeks in any of these locations? We were just wondering if there is a lot of money to be saved doing this rather than hoteling it for that period of time. Curious about any pitfalls in such an arrangement such as: place looks good on the website but turns out to be a dump, in a bad neighborhood, next to an expressway, etc.:confused:

Hank

We have rented 3 or 4 times from listings on VRBO and cyberrentals. No complaints. The places have ranged from a unique homw in NM designed, built and decorated by an Expressionist artist to a waterfront "camp" (obvious Sears kit house) near Mystic, CT.

Some of our friends have had great luck with this in Hawaii, but we've never tried it. It is just the three of us now, soon to be two, so the hotel is not so bad. We don't often eat at the hotel, so eats are usually cheaper than resort style, but still a bit more than making your own. On the other hand, we like to not have to deal with the cooking and cleaning once in a while.
R

We like to get away for a winter warm up every year. Favorite destinations are Hawaii...
Sure, what the others have said about VRBO. You can check the "E komo mai Hawaii FAQ" or post your Hawaii questions at HawaiiThreads.org. You can also PM Hawaii visitor veterans like Trombone Al & Sailor.

Hawaii is a pretty busy visitor destination so the bad news spreads fast and condo operators care about their reputations. Kailua is notorious for illegal B&Bs but you'll be fine if you avoid the stupidly cheap deals.

Neighbor islands also have good deals-- especially Kapa'a & Poipu (Kauai), Ma'alaea Bay (Maui), and Pahoa/Kapoho (Big Island).

Sure, what the others have said about VRBO. You can check the "E komo mai Hawaii FAQ" or post your Hawaii questions at HawaiiThreads.org. You can also PM Hawaii visitor veterans like Trombone Al & Sailor.

Hawaii is a pretty busy visitor destination so the bad news spreads fast and condo operators care about their reputations. Kailua is notorious for illegal B&Bs but you'll be fine if you avoid the stupidly cheap deals.

Neighbor islands also have good deals-- especially Kapa'a & Poipu (Kauai), Ma'alaea Bay (Maui), and Pahoa/Kapoho (Big Island).

Thanks Nords! We're leaning towards Hawaii for next winter's trip. It's nice to have a local like yourself and some other experienced travelers to get feedback from. I guess my greatest fears are getting ripped off and losing money or getting there and finding the place was misrepresented and is actually a dump!

We've done the weekly condo rental in Hawaii a few times - very cost effective. A little shopping around can get you much better accommodations (ocean view, more space, kitchen, etc.) for lower rates (around $700/week). Downside is the lack of maid service and other hotel services like concierge if you're into that type of thing.

I just did generic google searches like "vacation rental Hawaii" to find the condos in the past, so I imagine the other links provided in the thread are better ways to get started...

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

VRBO is great. We've used it several times and never had a bad experience (it's for all over the world, not just Hawaii). In Hawaii, you can also try the local real estate offices. They usually have ST rental listings. If you are worried about the location use Google maps and Google earth to check out the surrounding area.

As to whether you'd prefer a condo, it just depends on what you like. With condos you get more room, you can save money on food because you've got your own kitchen, you can barbecue on your lanai (fresh Ahi from the market - yum!), you feel more like you are living there for a week as opposed to feeling like a visitor.

On the other hand, if you like the resort feeling - the pool, the spa, the on-site restaurants, maid service, etc., a hotel would be better for you.

I have used VRBO twice on vacations to Hawaii. The first time for a 2 bedrm on Maui for a family trip and the last time for a studio Ohana on Oahu. Fabulous deals, both times! Some condo complexes are really lovely, especially in Wailea on Maui, with pools and near golf courses, just like a resort. Much better than staying in a hotel for a family, I think.

We've had all positive experiences with Cyberrentals. I find it refreshing to deal directly with the owner as opposed to a a rental service business. I have also found them to be flexible on pricing...they want to see the house/condo rented.

We rented a condo in Maui and loved it. Loved having our own space with a lanai and ability to cook food (and re-heat leftovers from eating out). The place we stayed at also had an outdoor grill. You could go get fresh fish, etc. at the local market and then grill out, often meeting your neighbors and making some friends while in Hawaii. We loved where we stayed (Kihei Surfside) FYI, you don't have to necessarily go through their site - just google it, and I'm sure you'll find some VRBO's (might get a better deal that way?) Also, since all the units have different owners, some units may not be as nice as others.

VRBO has been the best site for us to use. We've used it to find condos in Kailua, Kaanapali, St Maarten, St Croix, & Bermuda. You deal with the property owners, and most are reasonable about rates for extended stays.

Back
Top Bottom