Costco or Sam's Club or Keep Both?

FWIW, the Costco VISA card easily rebates to me the cost of the Costco membership every year. Between 4% on gasoline, 3% on travel and restaurant meals the card easily exceeds the membership fee.

I use a 2% card for everything else.

Audrey is right Visa only or still accepting cash!

Costco.com takes Mastercard. They also took Discover until a couple weeks ago. One quarter each year, Discover offers 5% on wholesale clubs. I would use my Discover card to buy $1,500 of Costco shop cards. No longer.

I guess a lot of people like them, but I quit buying the Costco rotisserie chickens some time ago. They seemed to be all white meat -- the legs and thighs were indistinguishable from breast meat, and that turned me off completely.

I prefer the Costco organic chickens even though they are a bit scary being so big. But they sure do taste good coming off the smoker.

We have had both for a while now. There are simply some products we like at one more than the other, though between the two of them, we do more shopping overall at Costco.

Cheers.

I prefer the Costco organic chickens even though they are a bit scary being so big. But they sure do taste good coming off the smoker.

Thanks, I haven't tried those. I have a built-in bias against things labeled "organic". :cool:

But I'll give it a try. Normally when I cook a chicken it's on the rotisserie* so I can get some smoke in it.

*Explanation: I have a rotisserie inside my BGE so I can get multiple effects at once.

Thanks, I haven't tried those. I have a built-in bias against things labeled "organic". :cool:

But I'll give it a try. Normally when I cook a chicken it's on the rotisserie* so I can get some smoke in it.

*Explanation: I have a rotisserie inside my BGE so I can get multiple effects at once.

Just try and see if you think the flavor is superior. I always brine my chickens before smoking.

Costco.com takes Mastercard. They also took Discover until a couple weeks ago. One quarter each year, Discover offers 5% on wholesale clubs. I would use my Discover card to buy $1,500 of Costco shop cards. No longer.

The Costco Visa card originally offered extended warranties on items bought with it, and a small but certainly useful amount of travel insurance on travel expenses charged to the card. Over the years Citi Bank has taken those away. That’s my only complaint about Costco and its Visa card limitations. And that’s mostly directed at Citi Bank.

Both.

Sam's is closer & only cost $10 for a year as a 40th anniversary special.

Neither. I am not paying for the privilege of spending my money in your store. I will continue to buy the sales at Pick N Save(Kroger).

Depending on how much you spend in a year they just might be paying you to shop at their store.
I selectively shop at Costco and get products and food items that are priced comparable or less than other stores and usually get a few hundred dollars back from their CC as well as from the Executive level rebate program. It not only pays for the Executive level card but gives me a couple of hundred dollars extra to put in my pocket.

Cheers!

Neither. I am not paying for the privilege of spending my money in your store. I will continue to buy the sales at Pick N Save(Kroger).

Keep in mind that that decision may actually be costing you a fair amount of money.

Here’s just one example. My wife uses an over the counter medication. It runs about $30+/box locally. We found it for $21 on Amazon so we were buying it there. Then we checked out Costco and it was $14/box. She uses 2 boxes a month so buying it at Costco saves $14/mo or $168/yr. That’s way more than the membership fee just from buying that one product there.

Keep in mind that that decision may actually be costing you a fair amount of money.

Here’s just one example. My wife uses an over the counter medication. It runs about $30+/box locally. We found it for $21 on Amazon so we were buying it there. Then we checked out Costco and it was $14/box. She uses 2 boxes a month so buying it at Costco saves $14/mo or $168/yr. That’s way more than the membership fee just from buying that one product there.

Yep, I'll more than pay for my membership fee given the savings buying an Interstate battery for any of my vehicles at Costco versus my mechanic.

Then making the kid swap it. :)

After giving this some thought, when my Sam's Club membership comes up for renewal, I probably won't renew and just go with Costco. Difficult for me to justify keeping both.

After giving this some thought, when my Sam's Club membership comes up for renewal, I probably won't renew and just go with Costco. Difficult for me to justify keeping both.

I saved more than twice the annual membership fee just on a set of tires last year. The only drawback for me is seeing impulse items that are just too tempting to pass up. But I'm fine as long as I go in the store with a shopping list.

There are many more Sam's out there... when traveling we usually stop at them to buy gas and sometimes a quick lunch (well, for me as DW does not like their stuff)...

Costco's gas line has always been MUCH longer than Sam's... and I do not see a price difference... the big problem is my closest Sam's does not have gas...

And as mentioned by others, Sam's is cheaper... I have compared computers, TVs etc. and Sam's has always had lower prices...

Maybe I can justify keeping both :(.

Some things that I get are better value at Costco, some at Sam's.

Cheap canned cat food: Costco gets edge
Unsalted peanuts and almonds: Sam's club gets edge

Also, some things or in stock at one place vs the other.

I have until June for the Sam's club renewal. In other words, I still have a few months to agonize over deciding :LOL:.

Last edited:
There are many more Sam's out there... when traveling we usually stop at them to buy gas and sometimes a quick lunch (well, for me as DW does not like their stuff)...

Costco's gas line has always been MUCH longer than Sam's... and I do not see a price difference... the big problem is my closest Sam's does not have gas...

And as mentioned by others, Sam's is cheaper... I have compared computers, TVs etc. and Sam's has always had lower prices...

Sam's Club often has membership specials for $15 for a year.

Would probably renew my $10 membership at that much higher price. :)

Sam's Club often has membership specials for $15 for a year.

Would probably renew my $10 membership at that much higher price. :)
Groupon almost always has deals. When we joined Costco, I think it ended up costing us $5 or $10 because of all of the perks they included. I think you can only do that if you're a new member, though. At renewal time you pay full price.

Maybe I can justify keeping both :(.

Some things that I get are better value at Costco, some at Sam's.

Cheap canned cat food: Costco gets edge
Unsalted peanuts and almonds: Sam's club gets edge

Also, some things or in stock at one place vs the other.

I have until June for the Sam's club renewal. In other words, I still have a few months to agonize over deciding :LOL:.

Unless you are getting the membership for $10 or so then I doubt you can save enough to justify both....

I still buy a lot of items cheaper than Sam's at HEB on sale.. heck, even Kroger has sales cheaper than Sam's....

I might not even be saving enough to justify ONE of these... but DW likes it so we keep it...

It is one of the complaints that I have... too many subscriptions to things... I am probably at $100 to $150 a month just on these... and that does NOT include the cable, internet and cell phones...

We have had both Costco and Sam’s, but not at the same time. Costco was a gift membership and then I renewed for another year for $60 I think. I’ve joined Sam’s twice and both times it was a T Mobile promo for a net cost of $5 or $10.

I liked Costco for their Kirkland brands, Sam's Members Mark is close enough.

Because of the T mobile promos, I’d rather pay $10 at Sam’s instead of $60 at Costco.

The decisive factor is that Costco is about 15 miles and Sam’s is 2 miles.

Last edited:
The decisive factor is that Costco is about 15 miles and Sam’s is 2 miles.

Distance is what did it for us too. Sam's is 1.2 miles (with sidewalks making it easily walk-able if I want some exercise) and Costco is 8 miles away and the route can be a pita traffic-wise. So, Sam's it is!

When renewal time comes around and if I tell Sam's that I'm thinking of leaving, do they do the "I'll give you a discounted renewal price" thing or will they pretty much say don't let the door hit you on the way out?

I see most of my orders online as I don't like the crowds. For Sam's seems like the premium choice is the way to go otherwise you'd get killed with the shipping. Comparing online prices with Costco, Sam's seems to have the edge.

As for warehouses if I go, the Costco I went to is at a decent location and not overcrowded. Yelps reviews of nearby Sam's have some saying those are the worse ones they've been to :(.

I've been a Sam's Club member for about a year. Joined Costco recently.

Only normal I guess to compare the two. Is there really much difference between the two? I guess depends?

Kinda like Coke vs Pepsi. Some folks will say Coke and Pepsi are pretty much interchangeable. But that may be a good way to start an argument.

From what I've seen, seems to me like there are more Costco stores around. But Sam's Club is cheaper especially if you order online instead of going in store. Plus, for Sam's Club I have the premium membership which gives free shipping. I don't see such option for Costco.

Costco without any doubt whatsoever is superior when you look at everything overall.

Back
Top Bottom