Costco rotisserie chickens not good lately

I really like a certain brand of avocado oil mayonnaise and I found it at Costco at a good price. Sometimes they have it, sometimes they have another avocado oil based mayo.

I already make my own ketchup. I should probably learn to make my own mayo. It's not that hard.
I make my own mayo because I don’t care for the Primal Kitchen mayo and all other mayos I see have soybean or canola oil as the first ingredient.

My homemade mayo is delicious - I add a little fresh garlic. I use 3/4 avocado oil and hand whisk in another 1/4 top quality EVOO. The delicious EVOO flavor really comes through.

I coddle the egg before using - one minute in boiling water, one minute in ice water.

Something like this. I hand whisk the olive oil to keep it from turning bitter which apparently happens if you break up the olive oil globules too much. https://www.everydaymaven.com/how-to-make-mayonnaise/

Last edited:
Agreed all the above are good things to check, however to really know whether you have an insulin resistance/hyperinsulinemia problem, you have to check your fasting blood insulin. Most doctors don’t do this even though it is a much earlier warning than pre-diabetes - can take 15+ years to go from damaging high insulin levels to pre-diabetes due to the pancreas wearing out. My doctor recommends fasting insulin be below 7 even though the lab gives a higher normal range.

P.S. Triglycerides above 100 can mean elevated heart disease risk. My doctor prefers that it is below 80.

True that - most lab ranges are 10-24 or something like it. While that may (sadly) reflect the "average" person, it is way too high. Truly fasting insulin should probably be close to zero, but certainly less than 5

Because the ADA in their infinite (un)wisdom doesn’t call for it in spite of it being a far better and earlier marker for warning against diabetes.

Doctors knowledgeable about metabolic disease do use it. Unfortunately that’s a very small percentage of doctors because it’s not taught as standard of care.

Agree - I wish there was a continuous insulin monitor available.

Along those lines, I have been experimenting with a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) and found it immensely useful for determining the impact of food types , quantities, timing, exercise, etc on glucose levels. EXTREMELY revealing and educational!

We have only purchased 3 of the Sam's rotisserie chickens; they have all been as you describe. That's why we haven't bought a 4th.

A couple who were intently parsing every chicken in the window, informed me that each chicken gets a time stamp, showing how long it's been out of the oven, being kept warm. The longer the time, the dryer the bird.

Has any one else had issues with the rotisserie chickens lately?

I have been buying them for well over 12 years, around 30 a year at minimum and these last two have been awful.

The first bad one was two weeks ago --- it was really dry, but it wasn't overcooked. I pull the chicken apart and 'shred' it and it all came off the bones like usual, but as time went on and I got closer to finishing pulling it apart, the dryer it got. By the time we sat down to eat it, it was dry and chewy. We ended up tossing about 1/2 of the chicken.

Fast forward to today. We get another chicken and this one won't even come off the bones. I had to throw away a bunch of the breast meat because it's rubbery and striated. Dh couldn't believe it when I showed him that I couldn't even get a fork into the breast to tear a piece off. Usually, it all just shreds like a hot knife through butter and the leg & thigh bones fall off. This chicken is worse than the first one. I suspect we'll end up tossing more than 2/3 of this chicken due to it being inedible.

Is anyone else noticing a difference in their chickens?

Visit a chicken processing plant and turn vegan if you aren't of hearty farm stock
The only bad part of processing plants is the front end, kill, scald, and pick (feather removal) , kind of gross to the uninitiated. It's hot hard work too. After that it a pretty clean process. Lots of food safety measures. It's really amazing the shear volume of birds they can process. Guess that's how you get low cost poultry. I have been in at least 20 chicken processing plants, half a dozen turkey plants, a duck plant and even a quail plant.

Haven't noticed and changes in our Costco chickens.

Like Wendy's hamburger, just hire a fellow named organic and have him make the burrito's.
Once a lot sell, open a chain called organic and sell burrito's. ;)

I think Snopes debunked it but there was a rumor back (I think) in the 50's about a Japanese city changing its name to Usa so it could sell products "made in Usa." I guess along with the 100 mpg carburetor it gave folks something to gab about! YMMV

I think Snopes debunked it but there was a rumor back (I think) in the 50's about a Japanese city changing its name to Usa so it could sell products "made in Usa." I guess along with the 100 mpg carburetor it gave folks something to gab about! YMMV

I don't know anything about the rumor, but that town's name startled me enough to snap this picture from the train:

Attachments

• IMGP4692.jpg
    IMGP4692.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom