Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our politicians in Canada keep yattering on about how much vaccine we are having delivered as though vaccine delivery is the goal.

The real goal is how many people are getting jabbed. We, like the US, are woefully off our target vaccination numbers. As at this date we are about 10 percent of our YTD target.

That number is terrible when you consider that the first jabs are going to those in hospital and care home facilities. A captive market so to speak. All in one place, all desperately wanting the shot. Not like herding cats in the general public. So if the target numbers are off by so much now, what will happen when we move out to the general public?

They need to pull their fingers out and focus on the real objective....getting jabs in arms as quickly as possible. The rest is noise level. My feeling is that politicians are focusing on vaccine supply for the simple reason that YTD jab stats is a huge fail.

brett said:
Our politicians in Canada keep yattering on about how much vaccine we are having delivered as though vaccine delivery is the goal.

I am reminded of politicians who talk about dollars spent instead of results. "The GoodNails program I sponsored has spent 3 Billion dollars in the last year to fight hangnail." Nowhere does she mention how many hangnails were prevented compared to the previous years.

I fully expect some start-up problems in the first 4 weeks or so. I am sure we will hear about 10,000 doses being ruined because somebody set the freezer temperature to high. There's a learning curve and we need to expect problems.

What I also expect is that by February, mass vaccination sites will be setup and operating efficiently. Getting vaccinated should be an hour long process at most. We need to hold our elected officials responsible to get this done right. The learning curve and other excuses won't work for very long, IMHO.

They are worrying too much about a small minority of people who don't want to get vaccinated, and not enough about all of us who would get vaccinated today if the opportunity presented itself.

Last edited:
A nurse who got the Pfizer vaccine has tested positive for Covid.

He got the injection about a week before his positive test.

Not unexpected, as first shot took about 10-14 days to raise an immune response.

Not only that, but it takes 2 doses to boost the immunity up to the level determined in the trial, plus it's still not 100% full immunity. I'm only a week beyond my first Moderna shot, so while I expect some immunity at this point, I'm not taking any chances. I'll feel much more comfortable 2 weeks after my second dose.

Last edited:
Just saw this:

"Michael Pratt, a spokesman for Operation Warp Speed, said the U.S. is close to meeting its goal of injecting 20 million Americans with their first shot by the end of the year. He said the CDC’s data is likely off due to delays in reporting.

Close only counts in horseshoes...

Besides, if there are delays in reporting, then really nobody knows the true number and there is an order of magnitude between 2 Million and 20 Million.
Otherwise, many peoples retirement funds are close to 20 Million dollars :cool:

Saw on the local news tonight that HEB pharmacies in our area will start accepting online appointments for vaccinations for those of us 65 or over once 1) they work through the current backlog they have of medical personnel and first responders awaiting vaccinations and 2) have sufficient supplies of the vaccine on hand.

No information on when those two conditions might be met, but this is the first somewhat definitive information on how we might actually go about getting vaccinated.

Last edited:
The Pfizer vaccine was approved by the FDA for emergency use late on Friday, December 11th and vaccinations started the next day. Here in Connecticut, as of Monday, December 28th (16 days later, of which 6 were weekend days and one was a major holiday), 36,276 people had been vaccinated (out of a population of ~3.3 million or 1.1%). 2/3 of the nursing home patients will have been vaccinated by the end of this week and the rest are expected by early January....

Just to update, as of today December 30th, 54,727 people have been vaccinated in my state. That's 50% more people in two days and is a rate of 9225 people per day. If we can double this rate, everyone in Connecticut could have the vaccine by the end of June. So things are indeed looking up here.

Saw on the local news tonight that HEB pharmacies in our area will start accepting online appointments for vaccinations for those of us 65 or over once 1) they work through the current backlog they have of medical personnel and first responders awaiting vaccinations and 2) have sufficient supplies of the vaccine on hand.

No information on when those two conditions might be met, but this is the first somewhat definitive information on how we might actually go about getting vaccinated.

Nice. You can get the vaccine and pick up some coke and bag of chips at the same time. What’s not to like.

NC just announced that after the first groups of vaccines (medical people and long term care residents and staff) the next group of people to receive the vaccine will be those over 75. So maybe my 89 year old mom can get it soon. Those of us between 65 and 75 are on down the list.

On Monday here in Manatee County (FL), the health department posted a notice on their website that seniors 65 and older could sign up for an appointment to get vaccinated beginning the following day. All 3,500 slots were booked within an hour. So, I guess one is expected to follow their website every day to see what comes next?

On Monday here in Manatee County (FL), the health department posted a notice on their website that seniors 65 and older could sign up for an appointment to get vaccinated beginning the following day. All 3,500 slots were booked within an hour. So, I guess one is expected to follow their website every day to see what comes next?

Saw a picture on the news tonight of somewhere in Florida where people over 65 are camped outside a health department to get the vaccine. I had the impression they were going to stay in line all night to be able to get the vaccine tomorrow morning.

I want the vaccine but I am not going to sleep in line all night to get it...

Saw a picture on the news tonight of somewhere in Florida where people over 65 are camped outside a health department to get the vaccine. I had the impression they were going to stay in line all night to be able to get the vaccine tomorrow morning.

A friend in FL, probably age 70, reported that he and his wife got to the site at 5:45 AM and were #s 270 and 271 in line. They did get vaccinated though.

I hope my state runs this a little better.

Our state is going to do the age group 74 and older first....then I'm guessing 65's and older..

Yes apparently this happened in Lee County. Not good. A vaccine line leading to a superspeader event, perhaps. ? :facepalm:

Florida's old people have always seemed to me, to be quite aggressive examples of the species.

Our county got a small allocation. The emergency management team, the ones who send out hurricane warnings, sent a text message saying people over 65 could call by phone for appointments on Jan. 2nd. I tried but couldn't get through. Shortly thereafter, the vaccine was all gone. I mean the appointments to get the vaccine were all taken.

I'm under 65 but husband is much older; afraid we'll be waiting a long time. Naturally, I'm another who thinks over 75's should go before over 65's.

Last edited:

Given the demographic, maybe they are used to staying in line all night to get into see the Rolling Stones (or any number of bands from the 60's). What's one more line? :D

Full disclosure, I have done the same. 1973. Watkins Glenn. Only we waited in a line of cars.

We have a relative that is a FL resident but decided to stay in CT for the winter for the first time in 20 years.
He is over 75 - so if he goes to get a vaccination - he will only have a FL Drivers License.
Should he bring his property tax bill?

That got me thinking about the reverse - if I go to FL for the winter - do I show the VRBO listing that I would be staying at?

Would be great to hear from folks that get the shot and how strict they were with residency

I guess this is not news here, but my state (NC), has announced the revised rollout plans. DW, DD, and I are in the dead (bad pun?) last group to get it, with 82% of our population ahead of us. I guess summer or fall? So frustrating! I get that there are a lot of people that really should get it before me, but still...

I guess this is not news here, but my state (NC), has announced the revised rollout plans. DW, DD, and I are in the dead (bad pun?) last group to get it, with 82% of our population ahead of us. I guess summer or fall? So frustrating! I get that there are a lot of people that really should get it before me, but still...

Yeah, so. I'm in the same group as you in NC.

It takes time for phase 3 trials. It takes time to evaluate them and approve the vaccines. Pfizer and Moderna cannot physically make enough fast enough. It is not possible to build production overnight. Nor can they be safely transported world wide, unless 100 factories suddenly could produce thousands of freezers that can obtain -100C temperatures.

So we have to wait for the other vaccines to come on line, and they are not approved yet. These vaccines at least won't have the transport and store logistics. At that point, distribution will speed up significantly. I expect a lot of yelling, though, when people discover they got the 70% effective shot versus the 95% effective shot.

This is just math. We are going to have to wait in line. Not everyone can be first.

And don't forget, this is a world wide effort. The world is a big place. See other new thread just created about the 7.8 Billion of us.

Last edited:
Thanks. So some states are better prepared than others at getting the job done. Imagine that.

Some are doing targeted vaccinations and some are going directly to anyone over 65. I would say they have different approaches on the best way to do this.

The raw numbers don't mean a lot if we don't know that. I'm not sure what your imagine that that comment means...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom