Dave Ramsey rips the 4% rule again today.

Apparently MStar issues guidance on SWR which was 3.3% two years ago and 3.5% last year. This year it is 4% due to better returns on FI. Did not dig into methodology but article from WSJ has disappeared from my newsfeed. .

I saw that too. Did not dig into the details, but how do you move from 3.3% to 4% with just two years of additional data? Obviously they are "predicting" and not basing this on the original Trinity study methodology.

I saw that too. Did not dig into the details, but how do you move from 3.3% to 4% with just two years of additional data? Obviously they are "predicting" and not basing this on the original Trinity study methodology.

I listened to a Morningstar podcast a few days ago that talked about it. They didn't go into great detail about their methodology, but they were clear that it was forecasting rather than being based on past data or anything real. The fact that their crystal ball changed SWR by over 20% in two years tells me everything I need to know about the validity of their model.

I listened to a Morningstar podcast a few days ago that talked about it. They didn't go into great detail about their methodology, but they were clear that it was forecasting rather than being based on past data or anything real. The fact that their crystal ball changed SWR by over 20% in two years tells me everything I need to know about the validity of their model.

Two years of data may be enough to change the failsafe withdrawal rate that much in some situations. The key factor is what the market has done during those two years.

According to Karsten Jeske at Early Retirement Now, a withdrawal rate of about 3.4% is low enough to ensure full inflation-adjusted capital preservation over a 60-year retirement horizon. Of course, this is based on back testing against historical market returns.

However, if retirement timing is conditional on starting after the stock market has fallen 20% from its most recent peak, even the 4% guideline (which assumes a 30-year horizon and full capital depletion) will result in zero failures, which is better than the results from the Trinity study.

See Part 54 in his Safe Withdrawal Rate series.

https://earlyretirementnow.com/2022...based-on-the-shiller-cape-swr-series-part-54/

So you prefer a model that gives the same recommendation when fixed income yields change dramatically?

Has DR always believed in the 8% rule?

I haven't listened to him since the 90's, but I don't remember him talking crazy like that.

So you prefer a model that gives the same recommendation when fixed income yields change dramatically?

Do you expect those fixed income yields to remain static for 30+ years? Any model that changes as drastically as Morningstar's from year to year is not confidence inspiring.

Do you expect those fixed income yields to remain static for 30+ years? Any model that changes as drastically as Morningstar's from year to year is not confidence inspiring.

+1 to punkinhead.

A historical tool like FIRECalc or FICalc is based on the worst periods in history. A little change in the current years won't change that at all.

Use FICalc.app as it is more flexible, all else defaults, I entered $35,800 spend to get on the cusp of success/failure, for 100% success. 1966 is typically the worst period in current history for portfolios, and it ends at just $6,135 after 30 years.

The most recent compete 30 year period starts at 1992, and it is UP BIG-TIME. $1M grew to inflation adjusted $3.7M. So no way in two years is anything going to drive that data to be worse than 1966.

-ERD50

Has DR always believed in the 8% rule?

I haven't listened to him since the 90's, but I don't remember him talking crazy like that.

Heh, heh, maybe DR is thinking about HIS age. 8% is probably too SMALL given his advanced age.:LOL::cool:

You know that you can buy 30 year bonds, right?

A 60/40 or 50/50 portfolio is down 10-11% since Oct 2021 and we've had 11% inflation, so that's a 20% reduction in real portfolio value. If they had perfect insight in October 2021 to the future market, raising their SWR percentage prediction now is precisely what you would expect, now that the storm has (hopefully) passed. While forecasting is mostly luck as so many unexpected things can happen, this time they got the first two years pretty close to right.

30 year corporate bonds can be called/refinanced a lot sooner than that.

If I were going to use a model that assumed static fixed income returns for 30 years, I'd use US treasuries since they can't be called.

If I were going to use a model that assumed static fixed income returns for 30 years, I'd use US treasuries since they can't be called.

Agree, wasn't sure if they were debating Corporates vs Treasuries

Basement dwelling supernerds David Blanchett, Michael Finke and Wade Pfau reply to Ramsey citing SORR and geometric returns

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2023/1...ave-ramseys-8-safe-withdrawal-rate-guidance/?

I feel sorry for the people that don't know better and even recruit friends and family into the Financial Peace University cult

The linked article makes sense. They did a more realistic calculation. DR's idea that you will make 12% or so from stocks over the term of a retirement isn't realistic. Downturns can go for 5 years and recovery can take another 5 years.

While you can sell stock and spend the capital gains that isn't my primary way to fund my retirement, but would be a backup plan. I'm happy that I can live off of my dividends and interest and they are two times what I spend. If I did sell my investments to fund my retirement it would only take 2% of my portfolio.

I moved to a cheaper state, bought a home outright, don't have any debt and have a low cost of living. Even with going out to dinner, buying bottles of wine and taking some road trips I only spend about $65,000, while earning twice that.

Here is the Original callers latest video rebutal to Daves 8% rule...:facepalm:

Note I directed him to this thread...we get a shout out at 3:40...:D

https://youtu.be/BugfOEGzG0Y?si=cRpy0jLB3b68i0Ao

Great video, lol. It's hard to know if Dave Ramsey just hasn't thought about it or if he is incapable of understanding. It's funny that he gets his web content from people who know better. Can DR ever back down after all his bloviating?

Great video, lol. It's hard to know if Dave Ramsey just hasn't thought about it or if he is incapable of understanding.

I think it can best be summarized by Upton Sinclair:

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

Last edited:
Great video, lol. It's hard to know if Dave Ramsey just hasn't thought about it or if he is incapable of understanding. It's funny that he gets his web content from people who know better. Can DR ever back down after all his bloviating?

Here's a new video from 'Hope Filled Financial Co.' about the article on the Ramsey Site that was recently taken down. It suggests a 4% to 5% withdrawal rate.
So, someone on his team has thought it through and put it in writing! They just haven't convinced the boss...... Yet! If they even still work for him.

Here's a new video from 'Hope Filled Financial Co.' about the article on the Ramsey Site that was recently taken down. It suggests a 4% to 5% withdrawal rate.
So, someone on his team has thought it through and put it in writing! They just haven't convinced the boss...... Yet! If they even still work for him.

Interesting, too bad the tool on DR's website is broken. I think "Hope Filled" could help a lot of people with his coaching sessions.

Interesting, too bad the tool on DR's website is broken. I think "Hope Filled" could help a lot of people with his coaching sessions.

I may have watched 8 or 9 of his videos, and so far like what he has to say. I did run into one 5 minute video that was an answer to listener question. It got a little to far into religion, but that is what the questioner was basing his question on, so...
I'm surprised he only has 903 subscribers. Hitch on to his wagon, help the guy out! :)

Ha! I can't imagine any employee questioning Dave's methods. He probably got fired. Dave will probably sue the guy into rice and beans forever.

... I did run into one 5 minute video that was an answer to listener question. It got a little too far into religion, but that is what the questioner was basing his question on, so...
I'm surprised he only has 903 subscribers. Hitch on to his wagon, help the guy out! :)
Thanks, but I think I'll pass the religious themed financial advice.
"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good."...Gordan Gekko
:cool:

Thanks, but I think I'll pass the religious themed financial advice.
"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good."...Gordan Gekko
:cool:

Oh, I think he is worth keeping an eye on, and as I said, it was only one video that I saw where he went there.

Back
Top Bottom