David Wiedemer, Aftershock

I was one year behind you, and we had duck and cover drills in elementary school in the mid to late 1950's. We didn't have these drills in junior high or high school.

Our neighbors had a bomb shelter built, too.

In the UK we still had information on what to do in the event of a nuclear attack broadcast as commercials on the TV in the 70's plus booklets issued to the public.

From age 16 I was in the Royal Observer Corps until they were finally stood down in 1991. Life feels a whole lot more secure these days.

From 1955 the Corps operated from 1563 ROC underground monitoring 'posts' about 7-8 miles apart from each other throughout the UK.

Protect and Survive - The Warnings - YouTube

There is plenty to worry about for investors.

Some believe we never really recovered from the Tech bubble when it burst. But that the economy was propped up with low interest rates... Then we went into the joint credit and housing bubbles.

The white house is now predicting that we will not reach 6% unemployment till 2017. That is another 5 years. That would seem to mean that we could be facing almost 10 years till we fully recover.

White House: Slower jobs recovery ahead - Sep. 1, 2011

We could end up with the lost 2 decades!

Plus if we are looking at 10 years of low interest rates, there is plenty of time for low interest rates to form more bubbles.

I remember 2nd-3rd grade duck and cover drills. I remember thinking that the small desk would not provide much protection when the walls dissolved in the nuclear blast, but I did the drills and forgot about it.

The white house is now predicting that we will not reach 6% unemployment till 2017. That is another 5 years. That would seem to mean that we could be facing almost 10 years till we fully recover.

White House: Slower jobs recovery ahead - Sep. 1, 2011

We could end up with the lost 2 decades!

Plus if we are looking at 10 years of low interest rates, there is plenty of time for low interest rates to form more bubbles.

Here's a sobering chart from the Atlanta Fed, showing how long it will take to close the nation's "output gap" under different growth scenarios. The message here is that at less than 3% growth, we don't ever get there.

6a00d8341c834f53ef0153910687d9970b-popup

(Here's a link to the chart, in case it isn't showing)

http://macroblog.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c834f53ef0153910687d9970b-popup

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom