Debating between Nevada or Florida to retire

I hear hell is hotter and more humid also. Great rec for Florida!

Ha

I was told that hell was a dry heat.

For decades I dreamed of getting out of NY State to Florida for Jan-March, but now that I'm retired and could do so, I am putt off by the crowds. Which isn't to say I have decided NOT to do so, but I am concerned how I'll handle it. Where I live there are no crowds, no traffic etc. I'm used to that.

For decades I dreamed of getting out of NY State to Florida for Jan-March, but now that I'm retired and could do so, I am putt off by the crowds.

Head to the green areas...

Attachments

• fig4.jpg
    fig4.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 86
I wonder why the testicular area is so green/low population?

I wonder why the testicular area is so green/low population?
That's the Redneck Riviera, less sophisticated and urbane than much of the rest of the state. Plus, it's probably too cold in the winter for most of those who flee the ice and snow of the north.

Hoping to hear from some folks in Nevada (thinking Vegas, Henderson, or possibly Laughlin) Florida (Orlando to Daytona). I know for tax purposes these states make the most sense including weather. Just unsure either would be a big move and would appreciate input.

I live in Florida and I wouldn't live in Orlando if you paid me. I even HATE going to Orlando!

Mike

I live in Florida and I wouldn't live in Orlando if you paid me. I even HATE going to Orlando!

Mike

Ha, Ha... Me neither. I live just south of you and it is like heaven here compared to Orlando and Lake Country. We are come up to 8 months of Stellar Weather.

For those who complain about the Heat and humidity, you DO get used to and accept it. For 8 months of excellent weather, 4 months of good (but Hot, yes) is worth the extra beds of sweat.

Ha, Ha... Me neither. I live just south of you and it is like heaven here compared to Orlando and Lake Country. We are come up to 8 months of Stellar Weather.

For those who complain about the Heat and humidity, you DO get used to and accept it. For 8 months of excellent weather, 4 months of good (but Hot, yes) is worth the extra beds of sweat.

We used to live in SoCAL. While the weather is better there, the crowds, Traffic, Taxes, auto Licensing Fees, cost of Electricity & water, Real Estate prices etc. are not.

I'm finding as I get older I am less tolerant of the heat but I will take it over the cold any day! :)

I'm finding as I get older I am less tolerant of the heat but I will take it over the cold any day! :)

Not so bad really here in NE. FLA. Go inland and further South or over to the Gulf side, and Yup, I agree. It is hot today (91 here), but I was walking around outside and it was lovely. We are 1 mile from the beach.

Not so bad really here in NE. FLA. Go inland and further South or over to the Gulf side, and Yup, I agree. It is hot today (91 here), but I was walking around outside and it was lovely. We are 1 mile from the beach.

I'm about 4 miles from the beach on the west side of the ditch. Atlantic and Kernan.

Mike

I am in the mountains of Washington at about 3000 feet elevation and it was 96 degrees yesterday so I can't make too much fun of Florida. The humidity was 19% though so it *was* a dry heat :)

Funny thing is, it got down to 52 degrees by midnight and felt quite nice.

Mike

Can you elaborate? Is it too busy? Expensive? What is it you don't like? I have heard good things about Orlando life so am curious.

Me neither. There is a reason Disney was able to buy those thousands of acres very cheaply way back when....very soggy and humid. Although we were in Disney World last February, and it was beautiful. Not humid at all. Probably landed on the 3 best days they had :LOL:

Mike

Can you elaborate? Is it too busy? Expensive? What is it you don't like? I have heard good things about Orlando life so am curious.

Disney everywhere. Tourists from all over the world all year long. Construction non-stop. Traffic from hell. More hotels/motels than imaginable. If you need to get out of there fast because of a tropical storm/hurricane, good luck!

Mike

I would consider living on the Space Coast which is kind of near Orlando I guess. For some reason that area is a bit cheaper than north or south of it. I would go watch launches at every opportunity.

My parents spent 30+ years in SE FL, inland 6 miles from Stuart. They liked it there, good golf and fishing. Unbearable heat for me in the summer, tourists in the winter.

During those years they experienced two 100 year floods. Both were the same, heavy rains and a blocked storm sewer backed up causing their dry neighborhood to be flooded.

Disney is EVERYWHERE! Tourists from all over the world all year long. Road and building construction is non-stop. Traffic is beyond a nightmare. If you need to get out of there fast because of tropical storm/hurricane, good luck!

Mike

We were planning to move to Carson City once the mountain winters got to be too much for us. But as early retirees, we need the ACA for our health care. If Washington loosens rules and allows more state waivers, we want to be in a state that will protect us. So we will keep paying CA taxes and move down to the CA foothills eventually.

Back
Top Bottom