Decking wood and otherwise

After years of annually cleaning, re-staining, and removing splintering boards on two wood decks, when we bought our new house I insisted that we go with Trex for our new deck. DH complained about the higher cost but now, after 10 years of zero maintenance (other than an annual hosing down to wash away spring pollen) he is sold. We used the medium brown color and there has been light fading, but it still looks fabulous. Also, I never worry about splinters. Yes, it gets warm in the hot midday sun, but so did our old wood decks. It feels great on the feet - very smooth. We have no mold issues at all.

I built a deck 30 years ago with treated wood and some untreated wood. The untreated wood has all been replaced. Some of the treated wood is now showing signs of rot, but 80% of it is still good.

I have read that the fungus that rots wood will eat the wood particles in many of the man made composite materials, maybe not as fast as untreated wood, but they do eat it. So... when I replace the deck I might put in pavers, very little maintenance required, they don't rot, and they are self draining. So, I'm told.

That is good to know. My deck is 10 years old. I did replace a few planks this year from splintered ones, no rot. I am no handy man, but even I could do this. I figure I will replace 6-7 boards a year, and have them all replaced over the coming 10 years, then start over. I was lazy and only stained and waterproofed every couple years when I first moved in. Now I do it every year to protect it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom