Dentist Insurance

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm sure this topic has been up for discussion before but can't seem to do very well searching.

I had insurance paid for years and I not have it now. In the last year we have had about 2000 bucks in dentist work.

Is it worth having it or just pay as I go? I have not had to use my insurance very little through the years now it seems everything is happening.

Thanks

I've never found any individual dental policy worth the cost of the premium. Best bet is to try to negotiate some sort of discount from your dentist.

REWahoo >>>> that is what I remember the cost really doesn't justify insurance.

I thought really hard today to ask for some kind of discount but I have a hard time asking for it. I can tell you I just about hot brave enough. Lol Some of it is I know all the dentists and some of the receptionists so it makes it harder for me. Lol I know I'm weak.

I definitely miss having dental insurance through a job. I have found that individual dental policies are not worth the cost. I was surprised that my long time dentist would not offer any sort of a cash discount when we went to self pay so I found a new one. I now need a root canal. I called the practice where I had previously had them done while insured and got a quote of $1700 for cash payment. I live in a suburb of Seattle. I have a family member from Bellingham who goes to her old dentist there whenever she needs something especially pricey done. I called an endodontist up there and got a quote of $1200. For a 90 mile trip it is worth the savings. Perhaps when you are calling around it might be worthwhile to widen the net a little.

I definitely miss having dental insurance through a job. I have found that individual dental policies are not worth the cost. I was surprised that my long time dentist would not offer any sort of a cash discount when we went to self pay so I found a new one. I now need a root canal. I called the practice where I had previously had them done while insured and got a quote of $1700 for cash payment. I live in a suburb of Seattle. I have a family member from Bellingham who goes to her old dentist there whenever she needs something especially pricey done. I called an endodontist up there and got a quote of $1200. For a 90 mile trip it is worth the savings. Perhaps when you are calling around it might be worthwhile to widen the net a little.

My guy of OVER 30 years decided he would no longer accept my policy as payment in full. He told me had less than 20 patients that still ha this insurance. I told him I was one of his longest patients and that when he split from his original partner I stayed with him. Yeah, that and a token will get you on the subway. He told me he would give me a discount. When he was starting out and building his practice I was a good customer and referred many. I called the union, switched plans, and found another dentist. I was insulted.

When I was working the dental insurance was worth it.. all the cleanings and X-rays would have been more expensive than the premiums... total of 4 people... the rate was family...

Now that we use the ACA and get our plan there... not so much.... the first year I had a plan that was good... it covered 100% of cleaning and other normal stuff and IIRC we had an additional $1000 to $1500 max coverage... we used it and I would have kept using it.... but I was working temp jobs and got enough hours to get on company plans again...

The next year I signed for dental again and when the first bills went in, their '100% coverage' was really only 50% coverage... I had to pay the rest... and we would have to wait a full year to get the $1500 max coverage on other stuff.... well, the premiums we would have paid would be more than $1500!!! So I was basically PREPAYING an insurance company to send me my money back when I had something done that was not routine.... NOT my idea of insurance....

And we DWs teeth implants and other stuff we are paying $5 to $10K per year, so I know I would use it.... but still, I would never get back what I had put in maxing out claims.... now, it was a different plan than the first year, but I do not know if they have any good plans anymore....

I was going to go self pay with a modest discount from my dentist that I have been with for almost 20 yrs. The cost for two cleanings and one set of x rays per year would be about $350. total. Doing it this way, I have not priced any additional work, in terms of a discount, but know there would be one, makes insurance not worth the cost, but only for years when no other work is needed. Over the past five yrs, i have not needed any other work for four yrs. Then last year, a crown. So, having COBRA dental at $30/month was well worth having. I have been able to find one policy that seems to have my dentist in network, happens to be the same price as COBRA was, at least according to their website, United healthcare. But, as with many health care policies, we all know of cases where the provider turns out not to be in network once payment is requested. So, I may pursue that policy further by trying to speak to a UHC rep directly to confirm, and confirm it with the dentists receptionist as well. The policy has a $1000. maximum, $50 deductible, (waived for cleanings and x-rays) and a six month "waiting" requirement for fillings and a 12 month "waiting" requirement for crowns. So, it's rather a roll of the dice as to whether i think I may have more work needed again or not, and if I do the first year, six months at least, it is all on me anyway. Or just self insure for the $1000. (+ whatever $) per yr and forget about it.

I have to agree with other posts on this thread in terms of dental insurance plans, their cost and coverage provided. Like most vision plans of the same stripe, the cost doesn't make them worthwhile.

DW gets a monthly stipend as part of her pension plan that she uses to pay for retiree dental coverage. The plan is an excellent one.

I pay out-of-pocket with a dental group in our area. So far, costs have been running me about $350/year.

I also had some extensive dental work/oral surgery done a couple of years prior to E.R. while still covered through my empl*yer's group dental plan. Fingers crossed and knocking on my wooden head that I won't need that sort of dental work done again for a while, if at all.

I've never found any individual dental policy worth the cost of the premium. Best bet is to try to negotiate some sort of discount from your dentist.

Agreed. Unless one has a lot of dental problems I haven't found it worth it. My dentist used to charge my insurance about $200 for a cleaning but now that I self pay he charges me $99, which is likely what he'd get after insurance adjustments anyway.

Dental insurance wanted $84 a month! Again, unless you have lots of dental problems--or anticipate them--I don't see the value.

Dental insurance wanted $84 a month! Again, unless you have lots of dental problems--or anticipate them--I don't see the value.

Agree. And even if you have lots of dental problems, they often don't cover the procedures you would want, ie implants, crowns, etc.

We gave ours up several years ago and simply pay out of pocket. In Canada, dentists generally don't give discounts, so we get most of our work done in Arizona where they do.

Last edited:
When I was working the dental insurance was worth it.. all the cleanings and X-rays would have been more expensive than the premiums... total of 4 people... the rate was family...

When we had all three kids on a family plan, it was worth it. (DW was always 100% responsible for "employer's" cost via her profit-center.) Definitely not worth it for just the two of us.

One of the best benefits at my long term job at a big financial company = the awesome benefits. I knew I would miss them and I have!

I agree that I haven't found a policy that was worth the premium and I have occasional expensive problems despite cleanings 4X/year and careful prevention.

First, they cover only 2 cleanings per year. I get 4 because of my implants. Then they cover only a % of major work (crowns, implants, root canals)- so only 50 or 60% or so on the expensive stuff. Then there's the max on all payments- typically $1,500 per year. So, their "coverage" for a $5,000 implant might be $2,500 except that it's limited to the annual max of, say, $1,500 and reduced by anything else they've paid YTD.

The last straw was that they covered cleanings only for the first year. I can understand why they don't want people to wait till they need a root canal to buy dental insurance, but I'd had continuous coverage through my employer.

Been without it in the 3 years since I retired and I've definitely come out ahead.

Similar experience to others: my insurance is basically a wash if everyone in the family uses the two "free " cleanings a year and the x-rays every other year. They pay a very limited amount for other work and even that is capped. I still use it though because I figure the insurance company keeps the pricing at bay to some extent and I don't have to constantly haggle with the dentist (I do NOT enjoy haggling.

Definitely one of the best benefits we have. DW's last place of employment offers the same subsidized dental insurance to retirees as for current employees. In a typical year it sends our dentist far more than what we pay in premiums. Seems to be a pretty rare retirement benefit.

I went ahead and got a policy with my own dentist for $350/year vs getting a Delta dental plan. I've been fortunate in that my dental care over the years with this dentist has been primarily routine cleanings and X-rays, so it comes out as a wash. If more services are needed, his policy gives a discount on them - his practice is pretty extensive in that I would rarely need to go elsewhere for care, but that would likely open a hole in my pocket to pay for that if it happens.

My husband's last employer does off dental benefits for retirees. Last year I paid for a high plan that covers up to $4000 because he had plan to do a lot of work. This year, I thought I could go to a lower plan but he also has to do about 4 crowns. So even with a dental plan, I still have to pay over $1000 for our portion. So next year, I might have to up to the high benefit plan again.

But one of my daughter doesn't have dental plan, she pays about $180 for a year of cleaning and x-rays. This is a plan the dentist offers. It's much cheaper than getting her own plan. I looked through this when she turned 26, it was like $17 for $500 benefit. Not worth it.

We looked at the plans. We had always been covered by an first rate employer benefits package prior to retirement.

We found the plans lacking. They either had annual limits on how much they would cover, or would only pay 50 percent of things like root canals and crowns and only then to a max. limit of so much a year.

For us, the annual premiums would have been more than pay as you go. The last five years have proven this to be very true.

If you are considering a policy read the fine print as it pertains to waiting period, annual limits, exclusions, etc.

I am thinking of a Health savings account and just paying whatever dental fees from the HSA. I don't know what else to do. But I won't be able to do anything until November. Of course that means my deductible will be high for the overall health plan itself to qualify for an HSA, but that is something I can live with.

Last edited:
Did anyone try a group dental plan from AARP or Costco? It should be less expensive, than individual insurance, if you qualify for it.

"Insurance" is designed to cover you in the case of something unlikely, yet catastrophic. Things like a fire, or an automobile accident.
Since nobody would buy dental insurance if they weren't planning on using it, there really is no way for an insurance company to not lose money (let alone making any money) by selling policies that will pay out more than they take in.

Did anyone try a group dental plan from AARP or Costco? It should be less expensive, than individual insurance, if you qualify for it.

AARP's online quote for me was $48/month with the same coverage limits as the $30/month UHC plan. So, no bargain there at all.

"Insurance" is designed to cover you in the case of something unlikely, yet catastrophic. Things like a fire, or an automobile accident.
Since nobody would buy dental insurance if they weren't planning on using it, there really is no way for an insurance company to not lose money (let alone making any money) by selling policies that will pay out more than they take in.

Of course. Absolutely true, in the aggregate for all the insured in the group/collection of individual plan holders, the ins co makes money or exits the business.

We each hope to be the exception in any given year that we need dental work done. As i was in my last 12 months of COBRA: $360 paid in premiums with $1000. of ins payments actually paid.

Another thing that helps ins Co's is a small but not insignificant portion of the insured pay their premiums but drag their feet in actually going to the dentist out of fear and/or distaste. illogical, but that is good ole often mindless human nature.

Of course. Absolutely true, in the aggregate for all the insured in the group/collection of individual plan holders, the ins co makes money or exits the business.

We each hope to be the exception in any given year that we need dental work done. As i was in my last 12 months of COBRA: $360 paid in premiums with $1000. of ins payments actually paid.

Another thing that helps ins Co's is a small but not insignificant portion of the insured pay their premiums but drag their feet in actually going to the dentist out of fear and/or distaste. illogical, but that is good ole often mindless human nature.

Also, INSCOs do a great job of protecting themselves on the upper end with yearly maximums, lifetime individual maximums, lifetime family maximums, exclusion of more costly treatments, etc etc.
I had an 80 year old patient who could not tolerate a removable partial denture, but he had enough teeth on one side to function and be happy. Then he lost one of those teeth, and he wanted me to make him a fixed (cemented) bridge to restore the full function on that side. The INSCO said they would only pay for a removable partial (lots cheaper) even though he didn't want one, because they had it in their contract that if he was missing teeth on the other side, they could deny the fixed bridge.
He paid for what he wanted out-of-pocket, but that's typical INSCO bullshit. They wouldn't even pay the reduced benefit they would have had to pay had he had the removable.

Back
Top Bottom