Depositing Checks

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DD has received a few checks in the (slowly-forwarded) mail saying "Not valid after 60 days" and that 60 day period will expire in a few days. She's in Europe right now.

She has a BofA account, and I know her account number. Can I just deposit those checks to her account without her signature??

I have become very adept at signing my wifes name to stuff. With her permission, of course.

I have on occasion had checks that I didnt endorse with both of our names returned for signature, when issued in both of our names. Not sure if theres some more rigorous rules around that than a single payer check.

Worked like a charm, thanks.

When FIL retired he went to the local bank branch and tried to make a transaction. They refused him because it wasn't his signature.

MIL had been signing his name for years.

It seems that a deposit into the account of the person named on the check does not draw much (if any) scrutiny. I think you could scribble anything there, why wouldn't they deposit it?

In person, it might be a different matter,it might not be technically correct to accept it, so a 'play by the rules' teller might not allow it.

I've done it for the kids, when they were not available to sign. If they are a minor, pretty sure it is acceptable to do a 'Guardian, signing for DD, a minor' notation.

-ERD50

If they don't take it, feel free to write "deposit only" with my account number and my bank will take it.

:)

Uniform Commercial Code 101:

A bank can supply an account holder's endorsement when depositing a check.

So no one needs to sign anything on the check if it is being deposited.

The only problem with this arrangement that I see is that if "John Smith" mistakenly gets a check for a different "John Smith" he can deposit it into his own account. Of course, when then money's path is tracked, the police will know exactly who to arrest.

Back
Top Bottom