Depositing Checks

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DD has received a few checks in the (slowly-forwarded) mail saying "Not valid after 60 days" and that 60 day period will expire in a few days. She's in Europe right now.

She has a BofA account, and I know her account number. Can I just deposit those checks to her account without her signature??

I have become very adept at signing my wifes name to stuff. With her permission, of course.

I have on occasion had checks that I didnt endorse with both of our names returned for signature, when issued in both of our names. Not sure if theres some more rigorous rules around that than a single payer check.

Worked like a charm, thanks.

When FIL retired he went to the local bank branch and tried to make a transaction. They refused him because it wasn't his signature.

MIL had been signing his name for years.

It seems that a deposit into the account of the person named on the check does not draw much (if any) scrutiny. I think you could scribble anything there, why wouldn't they deposit it?

In person, it might be a different matter,it might not be technically correct to accept it, so a 'play by the rules' teller might not allow it.

I've done it for the kids, when they were not available to sign. If they are a minor, pretty sure it is acceptable to do a 'Guardian, signing for DD, a minor' notation.

-ERD50

If they don't take it, feel free to write "deposit only" with my account number and my bank will take it.

:)

Uniform Commercial Code 101:

A bank can supply an account holder's endorsement when depositing a check.

So no one needs to sign anything on the check if it is being deposited.

The only problem with this arrangement that I see is that if "John Smith" mistakenly gets a check for a different "John Smith" he can deposit it into his own account. Of course, when then money's path is tracked, the police will know exactly who to arrest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom