Did your working spouse think less of you after retiring?

DH retired 6 years ago when he lost his job. I am very happy for him and I love that he's retired. It took him a while but he did pick up some of the major household chores.

I know when it first happened he felt "unproductive" but he learned to play again and to putter and fool around knowing that I wasn't keeping track of what he did all day.

I still work very part time at a job I enjoy. So far I don't want to retire, but that could change.

OP, Sounds like your friends didn't talk about retirement. Did he just retire without talking to her about it?

DH retired 7/1/2008. I will finally retire at the end of this year or the beginning of 2017. Fortunately I work at home and enjoy my job(I am self employed). My husband worked his a** off prior to retirement, at times commuting 4 hours a day plus his 8.5 hour day. It took a toll on him and I have been thrilled for him ever since his retirement that he has shed the commute grind. I stayed at home for ten years from the birth of our first child until I reentered the work force. So it has all balanced out for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Given the fact that I pushed DH to retire - no... I didn't think less of him. Unfortunately, he unretired (his replacement quit and he jumped back in to finish a project for 8 months). That caused some friction, but not much. Now we're both retired, and we're both happy with ourselves and each other.

This is a similar situation to one on which I requested feedback several months ago before I took the plunge.

It's been 4 1/2 months since I retired (I've been calling it "auditioning retirement" although it's likely permanent) while DW continues to work likely for the next 7-8 years because she wants her pension. I do all the household chores minus the laundry (she doesn't trust me with her stuff) although I do the sheets, towels, etc. While I think she appreciates that she is freed from those, I still sense some resentment that I haven't changed my mind yet and found another job. She's even said that she thought I'd be bored right now; I'm not. Between the aforementioned chores, house improvements, increased workouts, golf, actually reading and a plethora of other activities, I easily find ways to fill my day. And once the weather cools (I live in Florida), I expect that I will increase my hikes and other outdoor activity. I'm also looking for a good volunteer opportunity that would utilize my computer/software experience. And I haven't ruled out finding some part-time j*b but only if I would like that.

After that long winded statement, I would say my answer is: Yes, I do believe my spouse thinks less of me, but not to a point of significantly effecting our relationship. I'm happier, so I think that has balanced out most of the negatives.

I think the only thing that annoys her is when she comes home and complains to me for 45 minutes about how terrible things are going at w*rk (middle of a merger), I just tell her to quit...she doesn't have to put up with that crap. I know, I know...I'm just supposed to listen and NOT point out the obvious! :)

It took me a long time to figure that out too.

I think the only thing that annoys her is when she comes home and complains to me for 45 minutes about how terrible things are going at w*rk (middle of a merger), I just tell her to quit...she doesn't have to put up with that crap. I know, I know...I'm just supposed to listen and NOT point out the obvious! :)

t.

DW came home & cmplained about deteriiorating conditions at her school, she had 'the class from hell'. I told here she did not have to work we now had enough assets for her to retire. She retired a year later and loved it. I retired two years after her and I love it but she mentions that the 'best' years were the two where she was retired and I was still working. :cool:

DW has stopped working, and I am fine with that. It is nice to have her at home when I get back from w*rk. I'll join her in 6 months.

This is a similar situation to one on which I requested feedback several months ago before I took the plunge.

It's been 4 1/2 months since I retired (I've been calling it "auditioning retirement" although it's likely permanent) while DW continues to work likely for the next 7-8 years because she wants her pension. I do all the household chores minus the laundry (she doesn't trust me with her stuff) although I do the sheets, towels, etc. While I think she appreciates that she is freed from those, I still sense some resentment that I haven't changed my mind yet and found another job. She's even said that she thought I'd be bored right now; I'm not. Between the aforementioned chores, house improvements, increased workouts, golf, actually reading and a plethora of other activities, I easily find ways to fill my day. And once the weather cools (I live in Florida), I expect that I will increase my hikes and other outdoor activity. I'm also looking for a good volunteer opportunity that would utilize my computer/software experience. And I haven't ruled out finding some part-time j*b but only if I would like that.

After that long winded statement, I would say my answer is: Yes, I do believe my spouse thinks less of me, but not to a point of significantly effecting our relationship. I'm happier, so I think that has balanced out most of the negatives.

Great to hear. Sounds like the total happiness has gone up - hers down a little, yours up a lot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The opposite for me, I gained more respect for DW (the stay at home Mom for many years) when I retired!

Friend of mine I know had some spousal issues when he decided to quit and explore options. It's now much better, he's a small business owner and she relaxed somewhat as she saw the flexibility benefits and happiness boost.

Underlying dynamic: Imagine a top-notch border collie teaming up with a peaceful bulldog.

A complete non-issue for us.

So long as we communicate openly and often and don't force things on each other, any combination of both, one or no spouse working full or part time is fine for us.

On the timing of our retirements, DW stopped work completely for a few years and then worked part time for several years while I was working insane full time hours. She kept working part time after I retired and I still do some very part time consulting. She decided she likes being busy and after weighing up some options (and pocketing a nice redundancy payment), she starts a new full time job at the end of October while I am contemplating bringing my part-time consulting role to an end early next year to focus on other things. Both of us are fine with the choices we have made and are supportive of the other's choices.

What I suspect might be an issue is if I sat around the home all day playing computer games and doing nothing - but then, I would have a bigger issue with that than DW would.

Back
Top Bottom