Do shoe cushion inserts work?

wolf

Full time employment: Posting here.
Casual walker. Been using New balance and Nike's. After about a year and a half. The "cush", seems to wear out. Shoe/tread fine.

I just go out and buy new shoes. Anyone try cushion inserts? Or are they a waste of time and money.

Thanks.:)

I bought new running shoes, nothing special, they came with memory foam inserts. They are very comfortable.

Seems to me many running shoes just have some type of foam layer in the shoe, that could be ripped out and replaced.

I only use inserts for arch support, as I have had PF in the past. I'm not sure they make the shoes last any longer, and in my case they don't as I tend to wear out the ankle area or tread before the inside breaks down.

I use cushions such as Dr. Scholls Comfort Double Air-Pillo. They are inexpensive, and for me are comfortable and work well.

I only use inserts for arch support, as I have had PF in the past.

Same here. The inserts I use are Copper Fit Balance recommended by my podiatrist. Neither one of us thinks for a second that any copper in them does anything but they do have a higher arch support than most and that works for me. For me they last as long as the shoes.

Count me right up there with the jollystomper. I use Dr. Scholls also, though a different model. The inserts that come with most shoes are pretty flimsy, IMO.

After talking with various people who have tried everything from custom made inserts to Dr. Scholls, I could not detect any consistent preferences among the custom made inserts, the cheaper but not cheap high-end off the shelf inserts, and the much cheaper Dr. Scholls. So I tried the cheapest first and they met my needs.

Which one works best seems to vary radically depending upon whose feet they are under.

For me, its a big more arch support and some additional cushioning. As we age our joints, spine etc. lose some of their elasticity and the lubrication that kept them in good shape in our younger years. Anything I can to to take some pressure off the joints, back etc. is good. Especially in the morning.

Last edited:
I have inserts and like them but I don’t think you’re going to get that “like new” cushiness feeling like you’d get out of a new shoe. As others have said, the inserts are more about proper mechanics - for me, they help with plantar fasciitis.

I used to have Powerstep insterts in all of my sneakers. They worked great for pain relief.
Now I don't need them since I switched to Hoka One One Bondi sneakers.

I walk about 20 miles/week and need new $60 sneakers every 6 months. I was fitted into a particular Asics model at a running store, which you might try. I have custom orthotic inserts due to past foot surgery, so can’t speak to the off the shelf foam ones.

Yes, shoe inserts work. Some people seem immune to foot problems, but for most, the factory shoe insert is insufficient. Either the wrong shape for the user's foot, or too flimsy to provide adequate cushioning. I almost always replace the factory insert with something that works better for me, even when the shoes are new.

Also, it's normal for running/walking shoes to break down after a few hundred miles. When I was running a lot, I would buy a new pair when that started to happen, and repurpose the old pair to using for yard work. Anything you use that often is worth investing in, and there's no reason to push your luck in a pair of old shoes. Too easy to get some sort of minor-seeming foot pain that may or may not turn out to be so minor.

Thanks for the inputs. Dropped by, Walmart. Bought 3 Dr. Scholls. Installed 2 so far.
Works great. The "cush" is back.

bltkmt, for me, "break down" = after a moderate walk, my feet hurt. Also, I can "feel"
the "cush", slowly start to disappear.

I have read this before, but am always confused as to how you can tell when they "break down"?
If you start having hip, back, foot or leg issues, it's a good time to check how old your shoes are and consider replacing them.

I got custom made inserts since my knees and hips were misaligned. Used them for a year or so. Then my gait had adjusted enough that I could manage on my own.

So for the last 10+ years I have managed well on my own.

For me the success indicator was weather or not I experienced pain after walking a bit on my own or with friends on a night out. Recently I've been OK on my own without custom made inserts.

I have had good luck with happy feet memory foam insoles from Amazon

I use inserts too. Get them at Kaiser off the display in the pharmacy. A bit better (and more dough) than Dr. Scholls but last longer too.

Trying to avoid another "plantar" episode which was not fun.

I used many sets of Cushion/Gel/Foam Inserts in my Steel Toed Boots over 43 year in the Oil Patch before I retired.

They worked and were worth it for me.

For Walking Athletic shoes - I would not think so - as they are well padded. But maybe I am wrong on that one.

I have been using those foam inserts since the 1980s. They add some comfort and extend the life of the shoes or sneakers. I'd rather spend an extra $2 for the inserts than much, much more to replace the shoes/sneakers if only the inside soles have worn out. It always took far longer for other parts of the shoes to wear out.

I have been using those foam inserts since the 1980s. They add some comfort and extend the life of the shoes or sneakers. I'd rather spend an extra $2 for the inserts than much, much more to replace the shoes/sneakers if only the inside soles have worn out. It always took far longer for other parts of the shoes to wear out.

What inserts or replacement inner soles do you get for $2?

The Dr. Scholls I use are about $16 a pair. I don't mind blowing the dough, but I love a bargain more. :D

Walmart. S.F. Bay Area, CA. $11.00 ea. Basic "blue" insert, for regular Shoe. Easy to cut to size using scissor.

Back
Top Bottom