Do Watch Companies Purposely Make Batteries Hard to Replace?

A friend of mine collects rare timepieces. He told me that there are Rolex and other top name copies of watches that are so good even the dealers can't tell them from the originals. He said even the packaging, logos, and other documentation is that good. He also said they can be bought for 1/5 (or less) the price of the real thing.

Hey, it's a fashion statement anyway!:)

One fifth the price of a Rolex is still expensive!

One fifth the price of a Rolex is still expensive!

I just heard a jewelry store ad on the radio that you can own a Rolex Submariner for only $100 a month. Made me laugh that some folks actually buy an expensive watch and make payments for what, 5 years? Talk about not LBYM.

I bought my wife a watch for her birthday a few years ago. The battery lasted maybe a year, once it died, she never had any desire to replace it. She says she doesn't wear it to tell time. I know that would bug me though.

Yeah, and the great thing is I can go swimming with my watch, not many phone users do that :D

But swimming is hard on the bands. The dynamic pressure wears pretty heavily.

I find when it is time for the battery, it is also time for a band.

I think both can be done at that magic kiosk mentioned above.

If you ever go to Turkey, make sure to pick up a Genuine Fake Watch.

Fake-Watch-1.jpg

We were on a tour, and our tour leader was great. He went into this whole tongue-in-cheek explanation about how a "Genuine Fake" is much better than a "Fake Fake". Had us all ROFLing.

If you ever go to Turkey, make sure to pick up a Genuine Fake Watch.

Fake-Watch-1.jpg

We were on a tour, and our tour leader was great. He went into this whole tongue-in-cheek explanation about how a "Genuine Fake" is much better than a "Fake Fake". Had us all ROFLing.

That guy in front has watches on his arm doesn't he

We are thinking of transiting through Istanbul. I will look for him

I got a new battery for my Timex Ironman. I like that watch because I can control it from my tablet via Bluetooth. That only works when the battery is very new, however. Otherwise the app crashes.

I modified the band by cutting of some of the material away. Now I can remove the back without removing the band, which proves there's not need for that extra material.

Then with my indispensable glasses accessory, I finish up the battery replacement, check everything, and tighten the back plate.

After tightening, the beep no longer worked. I've found before, that with Timexes, the piezoelectric beep is finicky. Removed the back adjusted the sticker, replaced it, and now everything works.

Last edited:
My husband and I both bought a "Rolex" while on a cruise for our honeymoon back in the 80s--in Caracas no less.

On his, when he pulled out the stem to set, then entire stem came out.
On mine, when the minute hand crossed the hour hand (like twenty after four), it got stuck.

I don't know why people like Rolexes so much:)

We got a really good deal, like $25 each!

On the flip side, my sister has picked up numerous fine watches at garage sales for a couple of bucks. Their only defects were dead batteries.

Back
Top Bottom