Do you carry around your own test results for new docs?

If you know your new doctor uses epic/ my chart and your records are in my chart you can share them through the portal. If the new one isn’t in the system you can still give them temporary access through your portal ( I have done the former but only have seen the latter offered)

I’ve been treated at UNC and Duke. Both use MyChart/Epic. It’s very good.

When I get tests, I specifically ask the doctor’s office that ordered them to also send to my other two docs. I have three docs - primary care, gyn, and endocrinologist. This has not been a problem.

I tried, he didn't look them at all. . . . he didn't even notice one of the ones he ordered himself did not come back until I pointed it out.

Sign a form and send it to your other providers granting access to your records for your new doctor.

Honestly he seemed half asleep and very disinterested. It was an odd experience.

Honestly he seemed half asleep and very disinterested. It was an odd experience.

Definitely not a good sign.

My cancer doctor struck me that way when I first met him. He always had to reread my chart (MY CHART - only his version.) Then he'd scratch his chin and not answer my questions, etc. But after several visits, I sorta warmed up to him and later I actually came to trust him. THEN, he left the practice to partner with some other docs. Now I have to pick a new doc in the network (or stay with the old one and jump through more hoops.) I hate finding a new doc.

Next week I am seeing a new primary care doctor 1500+ miles away from my former doctors. This is a concierge practice so it is scheduled for an hour and a half so should have plenty of time to talk. The paperwork from them did have a form to request medical records but it was unclear whether they want me to submit the form or if they do it. Will ask.

Anyway, things I do have. All of my significant lab tests going back several years. I plan to print out the ones within the last year and take with me.

I had an angiogram a few months ago. Before leaving my old locale I got a copy of the operative report and the images from the angiogram. I will give the PCP the operative report. When I get a cardiologist I will offer him the images.

One thing I do worry about with the global request for records is that for longstanding doctors it can be a lot particularly if it asks for all visit notes, etc (which the form does ask for). I do worry about running up a huge charge for medical records that go back a long ways are will never be looked at.

We have government medicare. I learned that it is now all on line. As is the pharmacy detail so pharmacists can check when filling certain scripts that the individual has not done the same thing at the pharmacy across the street.

As a prelude to my first checkup in about 10 years I had a meet and greet with my new physician. Decided to go to my spouses physician. Spouse is a former nurse who is very fussy about standards of health care.

Went through the usual. Then she brought up my records on her screen. Blood test results from ten years ago, all of my travel shots, vaccinations, covid boosters etc. The whole shebang including all vaccinations, shots that were administered by a pharmacist or in a health center. I was very surprised and pleased. She had spent time on it prior to the appointment. She asked why no prescriptions...I have not had one for filled for at least 20 years. If for some reason I end up in emerge one day they can input my id number and obtain a complete health record complete with any drug allergies.

She went through the question and answer, asked me my concerns and sent me out to the lab for a complete blood work up plus a fit kit to test for bowel cancer.

Next will be the results and the physical.

Each year prior to retiring my employer offered/requested a yearly checkup at an executive health clinic. I did not like the idea so I never did go. Besides, I assumes that since the employer was paying they might have access to the results/files.

Last edited:
delete

Last edited:
I still do keep records of all my tests out of force of habit but these days here in England there is a national database so all physicians have access, and individuals have access to their own medical records. This is not the case in Scotland as evidenced by discussions with my wife’s sister this week who can’t even access her own blood tests online let alone any other of her medical records.

I used to carry my significant lab results (and prescription list) on an index card that I kept in my Day Timer. Within the past several years the medical practice we use was acquired by a major Boston hospital that has a Patient Gateway on-line. Everything I or a provider needs is available through the Gateway. It also provides non-urgent/non-emergency communication with providers, providers’ post-visit notes, everything you could want. I really like it!

I used to carry my significant lab results (and prescription list) on an index card that I kept in my Day Timer. Within the past several years the medical practice we use was acquired by a major Boston hospital that has a Patient Gateway on-line. Everything I or a provider needs is available through the Gateway. It also provides non-urgent/non-emergency communication with providers, providers’ post-visit notes, everything you could want. I really like it!

I just wrote up a reply outlining Patient Gateway. Just before I hit "reply" I saw your post.

Yes, it has your entire health history, tests, x-rays, medications, doctors, surgeries, allergies as well as your insurance.

I still do keep records of all my tests out of force of habit but these days here in England there is a national database so all physicians have access, and individuals have access to their own medical records. This is not the case in Scotland as evidenced by discussions with my wife’s sister this week who can’t even access her own blood tests online let alone any other of her medical records.

I had the results of my blood tests posted to my on line health account within 48 hours.

Each test item a description of the test, my numbers, and a range of normal/ acceptable levels for each. I can understand the acceptable ranges, some of the other descriptions are Greek to me. Gives me a chance to review and ask questions prior to my physical.

DW had a quick look look at them yesterday. She says they all look fine and not expect any resulting request from the MD to come in to the clinic prior my scheduled physical.

Last edited:
I try to get the test results and scan them into my computer. It makes it easy to compare year to year and to help new doctors.

I try to get the test results and scan them into my computer. It makes it easy to compare year to year and to help new doctors.

I have found that most docs want new results - their own results.

My Dad always carried to the doc reams of records including test results and all kinds of charts he created himself. He was disappointed that the doctors would not go over every line on every page with him or at least study every page. There wasn’t any way they had time for that, and Dad was not good at whittling info down to what’s relevant; he wanted every doc to know every detail about his life every visit. That’s not realistic.

It’s important to find a way not to overload the docs with too much irrelevant stuff. When that happens, they just consider the patient someone who is gone to overload them with irrelevant stuff.

My Dad always carried to the doc reams of records including test results and all kinds of charts he created himself. He was disappointed that the doctors would not go over every line on every page with him or at least study every page. There wasn’t any way they had time for that, and Dad was not good at whittling info down to what’s relevant; he wanted every doc to know every detail about his life every visit. That’s not realistic.

It’s important to find a way not to overload the docs with too much irrelevant stuff. When that happens, they just consider the patient someone who is gone to overload them with irrelevant stuff.

Patients need to know what is potentially important (dropping kidney function, climbing PSA, big jump in A1C, for instance) and concentrate on that - not 5 years worth of random results. Older patients need to have an advocate who is versed in such things if that's possible.

... Older patients need to have an advocate who is versed in such things if that's possible.
It's possible, but not easy and not cheap. We are in a concierge practice and our PCP has plenty of time to review our records prior to appointments. Appointments are scheduled for an hour, so there is plenty of time to discuss issues, respond to questions, etc. When DW had her knee replacement, our PCP watched her online records postings and called her once a day just to check in. He would have visited her in the hospital if there was any reason for it. The nurses on the station were blown away; they had never had anyone's PCP making contact like that.

No. Mine are too old. I do not go often enough.

DW, a nurse, goes on a regular basis. Always has.

As she says, the first thing that your new physician will do is send you for blood tests, etc. Health history is good but it is today's results, with consideration for the past, that a new physician will focus on.

Patients need to know what is potentially important (dropping kidney function, climbing PSA, big jump in A1C, for instance) and concentrate on that - not 5 years worth of random results. Older patients need to have an advocate who is versed in such things if that's possible.

True; Dad would not filter - all details were important to him. And in later years he never went alone to the doc. If possible, I went with him. If not, we had a hired assistant. Always.

So I went to see the new primary care doctor for first visit. Scheduled for an hour and a half and we used every minute of it. I was mindful of wanting only to take the records that I felt gave the most information. I ended up taking:

1. My angiogram operative report
2. Calcium scan report
3. Lipid panel in June (most recent)
4. Lipid panel and other lab tests from 8-22. I took this as it had my lipids pre-statin on it and had all the tests that I usually have done annually.
5. 2 most recent bone density tests. I have osteoporosis so I have a lot of these. I took the 2nd newest because it was the one where I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. Also, it could be compared to the one from 2019 that was most recent and was after I started medication but pre-Prolia.
6. Endoscopy report from 2020.

I had a lot more stuff but I felt these were most likely to give him info that he needs now or needs to look out for. I am going to order some records to be sent to them but these were key. They scanned what I brought.

Oh - this was funny. The doctor had looked through them somewhat before I was called in. As I was leaving, he gave them back to me telling me they had scanned them in. I already have them scanned in at home and don't keep paper copies. So I tossed them in the trash can. The doctor immediately reached down and grabbed them saying that he likes to read them on paper copy ideally....

No. Mine are too old. I do not go often enough.

DW, a nurse, goes on a regular basis. Always has.

As she says, the first thing that your new physician will do is send you for blood tests, etc. Health history is good but it is today's results, with consideration for the past, that a new physician will focus on.

Well said. Each doc seems to want her/his own data. Old data might be a base line, but current data is what every doc I ever went to wanted. YMMV

I just had my first physical in 12 years. Age 71. Had the initial meeting. Family history, any issues, any medication, any concerns.

I am never sick. Never a question of cost, my employer regularly sent me notices to attend for an executive health checkup. I resisted.

Then a full blood workup that afternoon and a take home FIT test.

I got to see the lab results 48 hours later, along with the associate layman's language and the medians. It allowed me some prep time to ask questions or get a better explanation.

At the medical the physician did not ask about any other tests that I may have had. Her focus was on the here and now. Blood test results, questions to me, poking here and there. Then a goodbye and a strong suggestion that we do it all again next year. And I will.

Yeah, I did all the "right stuff" (yearly wellness, etc.) and they all missed Coronary Artery Disease and stage 4 cancer. Thanks a lot, MC!

I have some experience in the medical field and I have to say that even if your test results come back as "normal" is good to get them on paper so you can sit for yourself and study them afterwards where on the scale you are. Let´s say something simple as iron for example, you can be on the edge of too little but you are "Normal" in medical sense but still have very strong symtoms. I learned the hard way that if you are on the edge on either too much or too little your doctor wont let you know, so I study the tests myself and if I see I need to take more or less of something I do that and I do reschedule an appointment for that bloodtest often about 3 months so I can fill it up or reduce it (since the body is often slow to adjust).

Back
Top Bottom