Do you have a monitored security alarm system?

What kind of unmonitored home burglar alarm systems do most people here use, and did you find them adequate?

I never thought the ADT type systems would work all that well. Burglar in and out before having to worry about getting caught. I had a search online a year or so ago looking for a fairly simple motion sensor attached to a friggin' loud siren type alarm. I think my aunt did this after a few break ins....evidently it is LOUD.

Depends where you live.

We had an alarm installed in a former house of ours. We asked the installer about monitoring. He said forget it...by the time the police arrive the thieves are gone. His recommondation was to install a second loudspeaker (large house) and another 2 motion detectors. The point was to scare them away before they grabbed anything. We followed this advice.

Interesting enough, the local police office agreed with this advice. They said the best prevention was a big dog (which we declined), inquisitive neighbours, and a good check on all doors windows etc.

Our La Quinta place was broken into - the glass door was spendy to fix, they took a TV, printer, and computer monitor - and bottles of booze. They left anything we cared about or that was irreplaceable, which was nice. After getting things fixed we went through the thought process and realized all we wanted was to not have our stuff taken. Didn't care if the cops showed up, didn't care if the burglars were caught, didn't care if we had a movie that provided clear and damning evidence in court.

We went with a couple fake cameras outside, a real ADT sign (check Ebay), and a couple fake indoor dome cameras with motion sensing 9V battery operated red LED lights. We'll see.

BIL had their house broken into a few days ago. They have a loud external alarm that is not monitored. The thieves smashed out a glass panel in a rear door. A neighbor heard the alarm and came out, walked over and looked in the front window. He noticed a van parked nearby with the driver talking on a cell phone. He made a note of the license plate and went in to call the police.

BIL returned home less than 10 minutes later, just before the police arrived. They reckoned the thieves were inside no more than 4 minutes, and they just grabbed a few items including some cash from a bedside drawer, spare car keys for the 2 cars and a laptop. SIL seemed more upset about the fact they used a pillowcase from her matching bed set to stuff their booty in.

In their case having a loud alarm, and neighbors who cared, definitely limited the extent of the theft.

Clark Howard says run the other way from those monitoring contracts. I've just trained the neighbors to start taking pictures and call the cops when they hear mine going off, and vica verca.

What kind of unmonitored home burglar alarm systems do most people here use, and did you find them adequate?

I had one a few years ago. Can't remember the brand. Darn thing went off one time when I was at work and neighbor called me complaining that it had been going off for close to 30 minutes. It was suppose to shut off after 5 minutes. Anyway I disconnected it and that was the end of that. Didn't trust it anymore.

I pay $8 a month for UL listed central station monitoring. If you currently have a system in the house, they can set it up through the dial in phone line and reprogram your system. If you have some technical skills, it is relatively easy to replace the panel if you label all the door and motion sensor contact wires.

As far as false alarms, I have had only 2 in the 20 years I have been using my alarm system.

So, if you have a monitoring contract - check it to be sure you can cancel when you want to.

No contract with ours, same company for 30 years. Have central monitoring, Cost is $250/ yr. As back up, we have several Internet cams, which we can view from iPhone / iPads when away. We have no children, so we have several loaded guns close. So far never had a break in. I don't expect if we had a break in while we were home they would walk out alive, and I don't even live close to TX :)

No contract with ours, same company for 30 years. Have central monitoring, Cost is $250/ yr. As back up, we have several Internet cams, which we can view from iPhone / iPads when away. We have no children, so we have several loaded guns close. So far never had a break in. I don't expect if we had a break in while we were home they would walk out alive, and I don't even live close to TX :)

There were two break ins on our block at two different houses many many years ago, one daytime, one nighttime and all that were reported stolen were the guns. Always thought that was sorta ironic. (Also wonder if some stolen illegal substance might not have been reported....)

Interesting enough, the local police office agreed with this advice. They said the best prevention was a big dog (which we declined), inquisitive neighbours, and a good check on all doors windows etc.

That was the same advice I gave out except I was more specific about the dog: "Large, ill-tempered with strangers, and territorial".

Answer sort of depends on where you live, and what the local risks are. We recently did a home technology remodel and had a system from a company called Alarm.com installed by our technology contractor. Picked them due to robust web interface and no commitment. Not professionally monitored at the moment (that is an option we can add at any time). System sends me text messages in the event of an activation, as well as anyone else I designate. I can activate or deactivate with my smartphone. We also have cctv that will activate on motion on a independent system also viewable by smartphone. I can make a quick decision and call the police myself if needed. I don't like monthly bills for monitoring and agree with previous posts as to the low value of going that way - for many people.

_M_

Last edited:
Very tamper proof windows and doors that would take hell to breech. Full 16 cam CCTV with hours of battery backup monitored only by us. If they actually want to come in there's plenty of hot lead waiting. Glad the state changed their views and now have more authority for violators of home and property. No more waiting for a breech, can just get them conveniently through the door.

With cams running 24/7 we've helped local police catch "other" activities in the area. They approach us to see if we backed it up. Sure what time frame do you need :D

I have simplisafe, which I installed myself in approx 5 minutes. It is not monitored, but the alarm is very loud. Came with front door stickers, signs were extra fee. I am very pleased with it, esp the additional panic buttons on other floors.

Yes, but it is intermittent.

Attachments

• IMG_4024.JPG
    IMG_4024.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 5
About 17 years ago, we lived (still do) in a gated community with a security patrol. We had a fairly territorial rottweiler and guns. A burglar was still able to get in by walking on top of the surrounding wall and jumping to an open second floor window! He must have watched the house quite a bit to find that vulnerability. Since then, we installed a monitored alarm system and chains on the couple of windows that we like to leave open. No further incidents in the past 17 years. So, to us, the cost (and occasional false alarm) is worth the additional peace of mind, especially when we travel.

Our system works pretty good. We have the smallest and oldest house in the neighborhood. Most of the rest have been torn down and replaced with new McMansions that are 3 to 4 times the size. Nothing of any real value either. But if we are here during a break-in the perp may leave disappointed with only a load of buckshot or a flare. >:D

Cheers!

We live in a neighborhood that has only one entrance and exit point. I understand that most burglars (at least those that know what they are doing) like to have more than one escape route. I also have an non-monitored alarm system with a sign out front. After that, I do the monitoring along with my .40 auto and baseball bat:LOL:.

I also have a non-monitored alarm system with a sign out front.

+1

The alarm system has a couple of loud speakers in the attic and is very loud when it goes off. I would expect that a sign indicating a security system is about as good as anything though.

Our system works pretty good. We have the smallest and oldest house in the neighborhood. Most of the rest have been torn down and replaced with new McMansions that are 3 to 4 times the size. Nothing of any real value either. But if we are here during a break-in the perp may leave disappointed with only a load of buckshot or a flare. >:D

Cheers!
We have Badger's system... minus the buckshot.
And we have nosy neighbors AND a dog that can look mean (even if he's not.)

Our immediate neighbors consist of retirees and stay at home moms. Between the moms and the retirees someone is always around and paying attention.

Had a great system in our last house. It was great for monitoring the kids. The system chimed every time the kids went in or out the doors. When they got older, they had to disarm the system when they came in and arm it when they left and I would get a message on my phone on each event. Never had an incident. I am still paying $5.00 a month and that includes system status and video snap shots of the front and back doors on the monitoring company web site. I'll use it in my next house.

Would love to hear from anyone who has a non-monitored video system. Looking at the offerings on Amazon there doesn't seem to be anything that comes across as 'this is easy to setup and works very well as a DVR'. Would be particularly interested in a set of wireless video cameras, if anyone has experience with these...

Would love to hear from anyone who has a non-monitored video system. Looking at the offerings on Amazon there doesn't seem to be anything that comes across as 'this is easy to setup and works very well as a DVR'. Would be particularly interested in a set of wireless video cameras, if anyone has experience with these...

I have a few D-Link Internet wifi cams http://mydlink.dlink.com/products/DCS-942L. You can find them on e-bay for new under $100. The app works well . I use these to supplement my main monitored system.

I also hear the drop cam my be better, but I have no experience with it. https://www.dropcam.com/

Back
Top Bottom