Do you lack intellectual stimulation after retirement?

To answer your question, No, as I can use my mind a little more creative now, and not like a robot for the U.S. Government I was working for. Life for me now is an adventure and I can make changes everyday about where I'm going and what I will be doing and it's not limited, so I think I'm more intellectual as far as thinking because I'm not stuck at a job or stuck to a neighborhood. I finally have the time to research in depth anything and everything that stimulates my mind more than even before.....and more time to just think and analyze things. my 2 cents

I'm still only partly retired, but my experience runs a bit counter to the responses I've read. I find it challenging to remain intellectually challenged. I had a 20 year military career involving a lot of teaching, learning, and other technical work. I followed this with nearly 20 years as a technical analyst involving heavy intellectual lifting (OK, so my retirement is not as early as others).

Now that I have a lot of time on my hands, I still struggle with keeping my mind going at the same speed as when I was working full time. Sure, there are books, there are courses, there are hobbies, etc. But what I miss the most is the professional interaction with others, playing off each other's ideas. Because of this, I'm still searching for the perfect retirement spot, and it has to include a college with an adult outreach program. But it has to be more than the standard offerings for seniors, I need an active, mentally stimulating, challenging setting. So I may just audit some hard core courses.

At the same time, the setting has to be one of intellectual stimulation without career pressure, so I don't want to be in a classroom with a bunch of young people trying to figure out their lives. I don't know if there is such a setting for retirees, but I'm still searching. I suppose searching is in itself intellectual stimulation. If anyone knows of such a place, I would appreciate knowing about it.

SoonToRetire said:
I don't know if there is such a setting for retirees, but I'm still searching. I suppose searching is in itself intellectual stimulation. If anyone knows of such a place, I would appreciate knowing about it.

A few ideas for the FIRE'd looking for interaction (ignore this if you're already content):

Consider checking out the services sponsored by SBA and Chambers of Commerce where retired people volunteer to coach and advise those who are starting businesses.

Also, you can work with nonprofits - and maybe get involved to the point where you're on the board or assisting the management team. You may need to be persistent in order to get them to assign you to more than the mundane tasks. In most cases, nonprofits have not yet adjusted to the way the new generation of retirees wants to be involved. You might even state right up front that you are looking for a nonprofit board position where you can contribute and make a difference.

Consider teaching a class for the community college non-credit program. I'm always amazed at some of the topics. Or host a weekly meeting to teach people how to FIRE. The library might give you space.

FWIW

SoonToRetire said:
At the same time, the setting has to be one of intellectual stimulation without career pressure, so I don't want to be in a classroom with a bunch of young people trying to figure out their lives. I don't know if there is such a setting for retirees, but I'm still searching. I suppose searching is in itself intellectual stimulation. If anyone knows of such a place, I would appreciate knowing about it.

Chess and bridge groups in large cities might fill some of these needs. Often middle aged people formally study only to gain career advantage, and if you are beyond that you really will have little in common with them.

For an analytical workout in a serious environment, try the race track, or a card room. Plenty of smart people there.

ha

SoonToRetire said:
But what I miss the most is the professional interaction with others, playing off each other's ideas.
But it has to be more than the standard offerings for seniors, I need an active, mentally stimulating, challenging setting. So I may just audit some hard core courses.
At the same time, the setting has to be one of intellectual stimulation without career pressure, so I don't want to be in a classroom with a bunch of young people trying to figure out their lives.
I don't know if there is such a setting for retirees, but I'm still searching.
I suppose searching is in itself intellectual stimulation.
If anyone knows of such a place, I would appreciate knowing about it.
Ouch!! What are you trying to say, STR, that this board's not working for you?

Many look inward (or to their partner) for the interaction you describe. Few of us here look outward... beyond this board and the surf lineup, anyway.

SoonTo BeRetire,

Well, I'm not retired yet, but I'm taking a Jr College course in Philosophy - ummm, it's almost too intellectually stimulating - juxtapose that with most of the people in the class working on their AA's and fairly young or ignorant along with a professor who was a recruit in the Korean War who then went to UC Berkeley, you get a lot of interesting, stimulating (in many ways) experiences.......This board can sometimes be stimulating, especially when the mavens start slicing and dicing their portfolios (makes my head hurt sometiems and I supposedly had many years of math!), actuarial info on their projected life spans, discussing previous posters who have different ideas (h***s).....

Some of the other ideas were good, too - it may be you are an extrovert and need some interaction with people in person - in any case, it's good that you know it so now you can try and find it...you will.

Deserat

I got to try retirement due to a corporate move. Way different than what we expected, partly due to also dealing with a new area.

I did not like it. Missed having people around and a structure to my day. However after 2 years, I reestablished structure, found new friends and was on my way to a new career. And here I had the opportunity to stop working forever.

So I went back to work with a totally different attitude. I will permanently retire "again" in 21 months and already have a plan for a parttime volunteer job at my favorite charity that is within walking distance to my home. Perfect.

Don't know what happened here- I had no intention to quote myself! :)

Ha

SoonToRetire said:
Now that I have a lot of time on my hands, I still struggle with keeping my mind going at the same speed as when I was working full time. Because of this, I'm still searching for the perfect retirement spot, and it has to include a college with an adult outreach program. But it has to be more than the standard offerings for seniors, I need an active, mentally stimulating, challenging setting. So I may just audit some hard core courses.

At the same time, the setting has to be one of intellectual stimulation without career pressure, so I don't want to be in a classroom with a bunch of young people trying to figure out their lives.
One of my former bosses talked like that. He retired at about age 56/58 and moved to Florida. He worked in a bookstore for a while but wanted more intellectual stimulation. So he moved to Colorado Springs and enrolled in a PHD program at his old alma mater. Now he is teaching there. Seems happy.

Back
Top Bottom