Do you love your home?

I like my house very much, love no. I like the location very much also. Although I'm not in love with the house I do like it enough to spend a lotta dough improving it and plan to "age in place"

Originally Posted by mountainsoft

I have a time lapse video and photos of our house on my web site 2003 - Building Our Own House

Very Very Cool.....

My home serves a purpose, it keeps me cool, warm and dry, No emotional attachment, my wife on the other hand is emotionally attached beyond reason.

We bought our 1950’s ranch 6 years ago and love it. We downsized to 1400 sq ft and completely remodeled it before moving in. It is a mile from downtown and we walk to all the festivals. We love the neighborhood and neighbors. We could sell it and get a much larger and nicer house in the burbs for the same price but have no desire.

I’m in the minority. Our 5 bedroom was nice to have when we blended a family 23 years ago. Now it’s too big. I would drop down to a condo in a heartbeat, but the lovely Mrs. loves her back yard.

Along these lines. Love hate relationship with a renovated 100+ year old farmhouse now in the middle of town. Was good with 4 children and a grandparent but now way too big and the acre lot, creek and pool have always been too much. Can't wait to downsize. DW is good to go only resistance is from children who are nostalgic - go figure.

My wife and I built our dream home 18 years ago when we had three small children. The house is 4500 sq ft with beautiful views and we love it. But like the Buddhists say, everything that exists has circumstances that support its existence. When those circumstances change ie. kids go to college, the reasons for owning the house thin out. We have a second home that we also really love so that makes it easier....we are selling the big beautiful house. It does pain me to do so, but do I really want to spend the $20k/year it takes to own the house, doing all the work that needs to be done, so we can hang out here part-time? No. That phase of our life and the circumstances that went with it have changed.

We enjoy our house but it would be a stretch to say we love it. However, we have no strong desire to move either. It's 16 years old, we bought it new, and the attached two-car garage got us spoiled very quickly since we'd never had a house with a garage before. No more heat soaked cars with a steering wheel too hot to touch and seats that burn, no more scraping ice & snow off the windows!:dance:

It's about 1,700 sf which is plenty for the two of us. It's in a former golf course community (the golf course has since closed) but still a nice neighborhood. Not at all walkable and public transportation is nonexistent, you really have to own a car and be able to drive to live here.

I'm not an avid fisherman but for someone who is there is added value in having a stocked trout stream about 80 yards from the back door.

The photo is an experiment in light painting - set the white balance to tungsten (that's what makes the sky so blue) and make a 30 second exposure with the camera on a tripod. It was so dark I had to use a flashlight to see the camera controls. Then while the shutter is open "paint" the house with light from a big flashlight.

Attachments

• light painting house (1 of 1).jpg
    light painting house (1 of 1).jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 65
Finding a different house hasn't been easy, to say the least. We want single-level living, which is hard to find. Our biggest issue, though, is that when we find a house with the level of nice finishes, etc., we like, it's waaayyy too big. When we look at smaller houses, they really aren't all that nice.

So, the search continues...

Ever look at the factory manufactured houses? I would think their product offering may line up nicely on what you are looking for. May be much higher quality too

I know Clayton Homes is available in some parts of the country and I think they have layouts available online.

-gauss

Do you use Glyphosate at all or are they in a position you could simply use an edger/brush cutter? (IE not through garden beds with plantings)

I'm actually a professional Gardener and am still a little scared of our place. Laughs. 5 acres that was basically completely landscaped. We have 47 solenoid valves/irrigation stations.. I'm looking to scale the outer edges right down back to natural bush and remove most of these. We live in the tropics so I'm mowing at least once a week in the wet season, dry season much easier. Loads of branches and things down after a storm. Major upkeep but it's like a resort. So incredible

Have lived in ours for 25 years. Kids are raised and out of the house. I'm actually tired of it. It is 2800 square feet on an acre.

Grass, WEEDS grow all year and I feel I'm glued to de-weeding unless I paid someone to do it (not doing it). Other than that, our yard is nice but it's a TON of upkeep and it's 90 degrees by 10 am. We seem to get a HOA letter if our grass is an inch too high or if our driveway is a little dirty. And we have a ton of grass and a huge circular driveway.

It's a nice neighborhood but many of the "first generation" homeowners have moved so I don't really know many of them any more.

We have deer and all sorts of other smaller animals in our yard almost every day which is nice. Had a bear here about a week ago which I love (yeah and I go follow him with my camera in hand!)

We've replaced/remodeled almost everything. Kitchen still looks ok but not completely updated. Fine with me.

I'd like a brand new house in a retirement-type with neighbors and lots to do but not sure if DH would go for it.

Last edited:
Oh man that's tough! House we lived in before this one was 1ha with the house in the middle. It used to be nice but over the years we've had every, single, frickin neighbour build a shed right at my fence line and it's horrible!..

Feel like I'm a prisoner in my own home because they're out there a lot and you just don't feel like you own the space anymore. I HATED the constant banging around of scrap metal and junk cars that just sit there for me to look at from my kitchen window. Absolutely horrible. It's the sort of people they are, just poor old no hopes with nothing to do but hoard junk. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say

We hate our house and have been looking for another for three years. We are on the street that feeds the entire neighborhood and we get a lot of traffic. Since it's on a steep hill that traffic tends to be loud, especially the pickups with aftermarket exhaust. Behind us is a grandfathered property that predates the suburban sprawl, and they have essentially a junkyard (although they never exceed the legal limit of five or six cars, they constantly change). We hear banging around their junkyard late at night, so I'm not sure what the heck they're doing dumping metal scrap from the back of a truck in the dark. The house itself is OK, I guess, but the finished basement was apparently done by a previous owner who wasn't as handy as they fancied themselves to be.

Finding a different house hasn't been easy, to say the least. We want single-level living, which is hard to find. Our biggest issue, though, is that when we find a house with the level of nice finishes, etc., we like, it's waaayyy too big. When we look at smaller houses, they really aren't all that nice.

So, the search continues...

Might as well be a money pit you absolutely love I say! Life's too short to compromise

I'm neutral on our 2000 square foot home in a 55+ development. DW is too, I believe. It's just a place to live and is quite affordable, built fairly well, in a nice setting and good neighbors around us.

But it's just a house and the 7th one I have owned (DW came on board at house No. 6).

I don't believe we will ever buy another unless it's a condo when one of us passes.

Houses are money pits, although one has to live somewhere out of the weather. :)

I think it's fair to say that anyone would love this

Love it - No, Like it - Yes, Love the neighborhood and area - Yes. Hard to replace though in the current Area.

We WOULD Love it if it had not guest room above the Garage and No Pool. We do own it, so upkeep is reasonable for our area. We use all of the 2,800sqft on the main floor and None of the second floor, except to check and flush the toilet and vacuum up the dead bugs once in a while.

View attachment 29206

View attachment 29207

View attachment 29208

View attachment 29209

View attachment 29210

View attachment 29211

We live in a 1600 sq ft oceanfront condo - top floor corner unit with a large wraparound balcony. The view is truly amazing and is the reason we bought it. We spent big bucks (25% of the value) upgrading the inside 3 years ago to get it exactly like we wanted it. The remodel turned out beautiful. We ended up also replacing all the furniture because the previous furniture just didn’t look right with the new color scheme and more modern look.

In addition to the beautiful and modern interior, we love that it’s all on one level, there is an elevator up from the parking garage if we need it, and there is public transportation right out the front door, plus Uber and Lyft are plentiful and there are many shops, restaurants and even banks and doctors within walking distance as we live in an urban beach town. It’s also a great place to exercise and all I have to do to get motivated is just look out the window and see all the people on the walking and bicycle paths.

Things we don’t love are:
- Urban area comes with lots of homeless people hanging about, drinking beer or smoking pot on the public stairs going down to the beach, which we can see from our kitchen window.
- Condo is smaller than the SFR we used to own. It’s 3BR, 2 BA, so plenty of room really, but sometimes we miss the space of a bigger home. However, it stops us from buying unnecessary things because when we buy something, it needs to replace another thing that is already there!
- Condos have their pros and cons. It’s great that it’s “lock & leave” but DH and I would rather spend more on HOA dues and get more services and capital improvements. The HOA Board is pretty conservative about spending money so improvements take a long time to make happen. The building is 15 years old now and starting to need some work.
- Our dog has to be walked 3x/day as there is nowhere he can do his business without leaving our building. It would be SO NICE to have a doggie door!

I am convinced there is no perfect home. The pros of this one far outweigh the cons for us, but our lifestyle wouldn’t work for everyone. We will probably stay here for the rest of our lives. YMMV

Love my house because of the deck and the surrounding trees. It's built in a wooded area close to everything surrounded by redwoods. There's even one coming up thru the deck.

It's very important for me to love my house as much as possible. I really want my house to be like "a womb with a view"2016-05-31 16.18.00.jpeg2016-05-31 16.18.32.jpegdeck_2144992630_o.jpeg

I like our home. If money were no object I'd have a single level home with an ocean view in a walkable area. As it is I have a 2 story home about a 10-15 minute drive to the beach. It's about 2000sf, 4br, 2.5 baths... a good size for us.

The house is the one I grew up in. Bought it at market value from my dad 16 years ago - but got the prop 13 tax rates transfered.... makes it much more affordable. We've since added a detached 1 br granny flat (700sf). Once the in-laws couldn't live there anymore we started renting it... which is definitely part of my retirement income streams. So far not a lot of work landlording... we have great tenants who just hit year 4.... thought they were going to move but the realized they had a great deal and decided to stay.

I love our neighborhood... 1960's era tract homes... pretty boring... but it's VERY convenient to freeways, shopping, etc. Because of the coastal, central, location it's a very sought after area in San Diego... which has driven the prices of homes up to irrationally high prices.... (I joke that we're La Jolla adjacent. LOL) For now we're staying here. It works, it's paid for, it provides income, we have it fixed up to meet our needs.

Many of you have far nicer houses for a lot less money. But we have a house in a location that we enjoy that is paid off... it's all good.

It's hard for me to say I'd "love" any home, but I'm certainly happy with where I'm at now. So I'm firmly in the good/great but not "love" camp...

Our thoughts exactly. We left our custom built family dream home back on 2004 when we moved up north to deal with aging parent issues. After she passed away, we discussed whether to build again, shop for a new home or start remodeling. As an elementary and middle school are two blocks away, (boys were 9 and 7 at the time) the main shopping mall and big box stores are 1-2 miles away, we decided to start remodeling our 1960s ranch (4BR, 2 bath, full basement, 2000sf, fully paid for). As we didn't want the most expensive house on the block, most of the work was modest updates. A lightning hit in 2007 forced a gut and rebuild of the kitchen.
Fast forward to 2018, both boys in college, we realized that this is a perfect size for the two of us, suspect we will age in place. BTW, I was a 13 year old when my dad had our house custom built. Lived away from this area for about 35 years.

Last edited:
We sold our place because it was too small. We rented an even smaller place but the square footage is better allocated for our needs. We remain here because we love the location. It would cost us $2,000 more a month to buy in our neighborhood, so we continue to rent until prices correct or we find some place else we want to live. If we're still here when the kids launch, we will buy a smaller place just for us.

We downsized 2 years ago. We had a 5+bedroom reproduction colonial .... 4000sq-ft, 5 acres in the woods, built-in pool.House had wide pine floor throughout, lots of woodwork (wainscotting, crown molding, etc) and center chimney with 4 hearths and a large brick fireplace in the living room. Hard to sell but, after 5 kids moving out we downsized to a more modern, 1800 sqft house in a desirable town.

A good tradeoff as we get older but, not perfect.

We plan one more move to hopefully a modest ranch in the same area.
Simplify ... simplify.

Love my house because of the deck and the surrounding trees. It's built in a wooded area close to everything surrounded by redwoods. There's even one coming up thru the deck.

It's very important for me to love my house as much as possible. I really want my house to be like "a womb with a view"View attachment 29215View attachment 29216View attachment 29217

Beautiful. Oddly we are removing a large tree in the middle of our front walkway, as the roots are creating an unlevel walkway. The tree is beautiful but too near our roof and harming the hardscape.

I love our home, but then, we just bought it. It is 1400 sq. ft., has a first floor bed and bath, 2 br and 2nd bath upstairs. On 10 acres in Vermont, in a tiny town, with only 5 houses past us on the road, several of them seasonal. We love the privacy, quiet, and wildlife (turkeys, deer, birds, coyote, and the bear that broke into the porch). (No longer naive about garbage storage!)

It has a few needed changes (serious dearth of closets, and DH plans to put up a garage and barn). We paid about $230k in cash, by far the best-built and best-sited house for that price we saw. I hope to be here forever.

Last edited:
Along these lines. Love hate relationship with a renovated 100+ year old farmhouse now in the middle of town. Was good with 4 children and a grandparent but now way too big and the acre lot, creek and pool have always been too much. Can't wait to downsize. DW is good to go only resistance is from children who are nostalgic - go figure.
Set up the work schedule for the kids: pool cleaning day each weekend in the summer, lawn mowing each Thursday, snow shovelling outings in the winter. Just watch the nostalgia disappear after a month!

Back
Top Bottom