Do You Miss Being Young?

Very much miss my young body, able to run miles, etc. Very much miss the happy moments of my life from 13-27. I gained a lot of emotional stability in my mid 30s though. Struggling with weight and aches and pains these past 10 years has been miserable.

Nemo I’ll play “then and now”.
First photo was with one of my horses at age 16.
Second is with bro and sister, I’m in the middle, age 56.

I think 35 to 43 is the best time, as long as the person is healthy.

Attachments

• 3FFDCFB0-F09A-4D44-8AFF-505244E43420.jpg
    3FFDCFB0-F09A-4D44-8AFF-505244E43420.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 46C78231-6687-4684-9809-8D3FE63A76CB.jpeg
    46C78231-6687-4684-9809-8D3FE63A76CB.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 71
I would go to my younger years in a heart beat.
I would love to go back if I could know then what I knew now. But as someone else mentioned, there would probably be. Monkey's Paw scenario involved!

When I was young, I was stronger and prettier but not very wise. Sure, I did well at university but outside of class I sure did some brain-dead, stupid, dumb things! (thinking of the 1960's..... yeah, OMG, for sure).

I think that as I grew older, I got a little more savvy in the ways of the world and gained a little wisdom; I think I have lots better judgment now. I also learned how to be happy. For me that was a learned skill and one well worth developing.

Even though I think I was much prettier when I was young, I didn't *know* that at the time so I didn't get any enjoyment out of it. I'd look in the mirror and think I was ugly. So, that wasn't an advantage.

I'm not as strong as I was back then, but there are helpful devices and people that can assist me.

My metabolism was amazing and I could eat like a horse and not gain - - but back then my finances wouldn't allow me to buy enough food, so I was always hungry. I am still always hungry but now it's because I have to cut back on calories.

All in all, I am enjoying my old age a lot. The only damper on that enjoyment is knowing that we all have an expiration date, outliving those dear to me, and knowing that one of these days the end will come for me as well.

I think you were certainly gorgeous but you now look like a fun smart and sassy lady who is likely fun to hang out with.

Reactions: W2R
Very much miss my young body, able to run miles, etc. Very much miss the happy moments of my life from 13-27. I gained a lot of emotional stability in my mid 30s though. Struggling with weight and aches and pains these past 10 years has been miserable.

I’m sorry to read that the last decade has been so bad. Must be exhausting.

I had a lot of fun in my 20s after I graduated college, moved out to live on my own, and got my first full-time job. I had a lot of energy, a lot of get-up-and-go, and could tolerate the daily commute to NYC on the LIRR and subway, a commute which improved somewhat when I began living at a place which was walking distance from the train station, eliminating the need to drive and find a parking spot.

I went to California every summer for about 2 weeks, I was dating women, I had enough energy to do stuff after work even on mid-week weeknights. I was making decent money, getting good raises, and a promotion every few years. Life was good. Life was fun. I was healthy.

Then I turned 30 in 1993. I began getting burnt out. The commute was taking its toll on me. The standard work week became longer. Mid-week activities at night disappeared because I was too tired. I did get a key promotion to supervisor, which was good for my career. But everything else was in my life was starting to erode.

My younger days in the 1980s and early 1990s were fun, especially the late 1980s. I wouldn't enjoy life outside of work again until I was able to stop working full-time and switch to part-time in 2001. I was 38. I was enjoying a rebirth of the fun I had in my younger days. I was still in decent shape physically, no health issues.

At 45, I was able to retire, so I had recaptured the time and energy I had in my 20s without having to work. But by the time I turned 50, I was developing some health issues. They are under control now, but I think I'd prefer my earlier years of my ER and to some degree my early years or working part-time in the early 2000s (without the dreaded commute).

Great question - I think about this a lot now. I had stages of happiness, but at the time I didn't understand it.

Undergrad was a slog (mechanical engineering with ROTC scholarship at a state school, i.e., I taught myself) - I was exhausted at the end of it. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was a fairly attractive young lady. Like W2R, I didn't pay much attention to that as I was focused on my intellectual pursuits. Then my first Air Force assignment was challenging as well. I quit and went to graduate school - loved it. I loved the subjects, I played badminton, I had a lot of fun. But I purposely changed my mindset due to what happened during my first AF assignment. I realized I did not have balance in my life and that a lot of the stress I felt was self-imposed with regard to my standards for performance. That became very evident many years later when I had to review my performance assessments from that time; I believed I was ineffective and poor at my job; my supervisors were tracking me for below-the-zone promotion. Talk about cognitive dissonance.....

My best time was mid-30's to mid-40's (so far :)); I was single again, in great shape, loving my job, having fun with skiing, badminton, socializing, learning....in the middle of that I came to live in Europe the first time. It was supposed to be for 6 months; it became 4 years. I was fulfilling a lifetime dream of mine to live overseas and travel. It was *great*.

Fast forward to now; I am happy because I choose to be. I have had some very challenging years in the interim, however, I have built a lot of resilience and know myself much better. This year has been challenging as many of the pursuits I use to 'decompress' have been off-limits. I have lasted longer than most around me with regard to my fairly even temperament and/or positive approach, nevertheless, it has not been easy for me. I tend to over-analyze and want to control what I believe I can control. As I age, that locus of control has diminished through knowledge ;-), so the concentration has deepened on that which I can control.

Barring any serious health issues, I see good times ahead. Even with health issues, the challenge will be to maintain a positive outlook and realize I still have a lot to be thankful for.

Comparing my late-50's health with my mid-20's health:
• intellectual: better
• emotional: MUCH better
• financial: MUCH better
• physical: a tad worse

So, no, I don't miss being young. :)

Regarding my physical health, I'm currently taking no medications and have no chronic conditions. I work hard to live inside a thin, athletic body and also have good genes. I feel lucky to have the late-50's body that I do. Ask me again if I make it to 80 :hide: .

I wouldn't mind being the current retired me in my younger body. But given the choice between the current retired me and a younger working me, I'd choose the current retired me.

I went into ER at age 58, and I'm thankful to have established the financial resources to retire so young. I'd hate to be start saving for retirement as a millennial at the top of the stock market and the lowest interest rates in history. And I'd not cherish climbing the employment ladder again.

My wife has had back problems and terrible arthritis since she was 28. Major foot surgery is scheduled tomorrow, and she'll not walk for 3 months or so. I'm thankful to be holding up very well physically and don't have the first pain of any kind. From here on, I'm in a defensive mode taking care of myself and my family. But it is enjoyable to actually think young.

A couple of things

First, Irishgal, nice pics.

Nemo, I was teasing about your kids. And I think Sir Paul could be your dad.

It must stink to be a famous person with paparazzi always taking pics of you. But if he thought the man bun was a good idea he may truly be losing it!

As they should. :)

A few years back the eldest of the three wanted me to come up to her room and 'play'.

I get there, and she says "You sit there", "You stand here", "You go into the closet because you're in jail", etc, etc, etc.

I finally said "This isn't playing, you're just ordering me around". :LOL:

Last edited:
I'd love to be ~30 again, if I could keep the knowledge and perspective I have now... Without that, probably not.......

I’d like to be 35 with the portfolio I have today, is that an option? Being a 20-something was exciting and wonderful but I wouldn’t want to be 21 again, even more so today than then...

Ok but mentally what age is everyone?

Inside my brain I think I am around 35 or so. Always surprised by the person in the mirror.

Not at all. I'd have to go through all the crap again, most of which was great adventure and managed to live through it all without losing body parts, yet have no wish to re-do any of it. Like my cushy life as is.
In my twenties, never thought I'd make it past thirty.

when I was young I was nervous af all the time and broke - no thanks

Interesting reading the comments........DW & I long ago agreed that to be around 20 again we'd walk out the door with just the clothes we were wearing.

I would never want to go back to my youth. I was in school for 9 straight years from 19-28. Soon after I got married and started building a family, career and a business. Those years were largely angst ridden with all the effort I put in trying to do those things and always worried about my inability to walk away from work and trying to achieve financial independence. Of course those times were punctuated by periods of happiness and contentment. My children grew up; I acquired interesting hobbies; retired at 50 and enjoy good health. It’s the best period of my life so far.

I enjoy looking back and remembering the great times I had growing up, in schools, following my chosen career path, and traveling the world. I wouldn't mind reliving many of them. There were also some challenging experiences along the way but I survived. Those I would leave in the past regardless of my age at that time.

I'm enjoying what I have now. I am lucky to have a wife that cares and the financial security to take care of us. I am trusting they will both last until the last bucket is kicked.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom