Do You Talk With Friends about FIRE?

I gave up on all that years ago. The problem I am running into now is that I am quietly letting close friends know that I am planning on bailing early next year and have only vague plans as to what I will do next. The inevitable question I get is either what job will you get next, or what will you do for money/health insurance? Um...
Here's some ideas. 50 Jobs over $50,000 – Without a Degree (Part 1) | Mr. Money Mustache (personally, part 2 seemed to be more interesting. And if trying a new revenue generating source or starting your own company (I know, time consuming) is not your wish, then set a goal to visit all of the natural wonders of the world. Somewhere in there, you will figure out what you want to do next guaranteed. As for health care, get a cheap (ok, maybe not so cheap these days) high deductible plan (do an HSA and sock away enough to cover your deductible and save a few more bucks). And Billy and Akaisha retired at 38 (Retire Early Lifestyle), have been traveling the world ever since and are a wealth of knowledge on health care and medical tourism which you will no doubt learn about as you are traveling around visiting the natural wonders of the world!!

Usually we just drag our deer from the area around the stand to the pick up. It's less than a quarter mile and my father insists " it build character. I'd never be able to sleep if I spent that kind of cash on a seldom used piece of equipment.

Heck, one doesn't even have to talk to others. They will talk all by themselves! Reading this thread reminds me of a few remarks that have come my/other family members' way, about how the Amethysts have a nice house but drive a cheap older car, don't go on vacations like everybody else, and only have an old cellphone that doesn't connect to the Internet. Some have obviously judged us to be weird, self-depriving people.

Amethyst

If you put yourself in the other's place...think about it...they are imprisoned to their jobs. That means hanging on in the ups and downs and not being laid off and putting up with the BS because they have no choice in their minds. That's because they are paying on cars, houses, kid's school, credit cards, and all the trappings they must have to live to survive. Not ever getting ahead and living month to month. Probably getting "gifts" from the grandparents to keep the kids in good schools.

Sure, but it's all about choices and priorities. Assuming the other person makes about the same amount of money, it comes down to lifestyle choices. Some people wanted a big house, expensive car, maybe credit card debt. I wanted freedom to come and go as I please. They don't need to be jealous of me, I have not done anything they could not have done if they chose to.

Usually we just drag our deer from the area around the stand to the pick up. It's less than a quarter mile and my father insists " it build character. I'd never be able to sleep if I spent that kind of cash on a seldom used piece of equipment.

And they sell deer carts/sleds for like a hundred bucks if that is your idea of a good time.

I don't talk much to my friends about it. None of them are in a position to retire, so I feel like I'm bringing them down, by mentioning it. Plus I don't want it getting out prematurely.

Once I started approaching FI, I started being pretty open about my plans to quit working at a much younger than normal age. One more year (and then, one more job) syndrome has kept me out of the ER club for now; but, the same has made me much more comfortable in the FI category. (Now, relocating to a low cost country is not a necessary part of ER for me.)

The thing I have found most interesting is the number of people who now come up to me privately and tell me that they are on the last contract, 2-3 years of employment, etc. before they hang it up as well. Maybe I just gravitate towards people who are naturally as thrift as myself.

Of course, there are plenty of other folks who just think I am crazy. Maybe that is why most of my acquaintances who talk about such things with me want to do so privately.

Once I started approaching FI, I started being pretty open about my plans to quit working at a much younger than normal age. One more year (and then, one more job) syndrome has kept me out of the ER club for now; but, the same has made me much more comfortable in the FI category. (Now, relocating to a low cost country is not a necessary part of ER for me.)

The thing I have found most interesting is the number of people who now come up to me privately and tell me that they are on the last contract, 2-3 years of employment, etc. before they hang it up as well. Maybe I just gravitate towards people who are naturally as thrift as myself.

Of course, there are plenty of other folks who just think I am crazy. Maybe that is why most of my acquaintances who talk about such things with me want to do so privately.

This is actually kind of funny. Suddenly everyone that worked with you or crossed your path at work is working towards ER. This would be a nightmare for any upper manager at MegaCorp. Can you imagine if MegaCorp suddenly started losing 20% of their middle mangers/upper managers because they retired in their late 40s? People seeing your being able to do it might actually create some impetus for others to work towards the same goals.

+1 Sometimes we just have two guys each grab a horn and start dragging. or use a rope, strap or even a belt. Admittedly if I shot a nice one I would probably go and get some help. Many hands make light work but a few hundred yards is nothing.

I rarely talk about FIRE with friends but we generally shy away from financial stuff. Not sure why. This forum is a godsend to me to learn and kick ideas around with like minded people.

I'm 25. Most people my age, regardless of income, cannot fathom living below their means enough to retire early. This concept is as alien to many as if I told them I was from Mars.

Some of my close friends know my plans.

I rarely talk about FIRE with friends but we generally shy away from financial stuff. Not sure why. This forum is a godsend to me to learn and kick ideas around with like minded people.

+1. I pretty much have no one to talk to about finances or early retirement, and that includes my spouse. :( Our fee only NAPFA advisor always responds to email questions or ideas I have (for free) so she's as much a godsend as this board is to me.

I have had three types of responces.
1> Disbalive - "No way - you'r going to run out of $"
2> Congrates - "We are going to do it soon as well"
3> How did you do that -"I explain the basics"

My recommendation is to stick to this forum and others who get the basics of investing and the fundamental goal of independence.

I have a couple friends (co-worker, and an old college buddy) that I talk with about FIRE. Having this forum and my close friends helps a lot, because I love bouncing ideas and strategies off them to see what they think (and what ya'll think too!).

We have our own milestone competitions with one another and we have fun with it. I'm only 37 now (actually 37 next week), so our first competition was looking at how much we were losing in the market 5 years ago. Now it's much more positive on how our portfolios look :)

I have a couple friends (co-worker, and an old college buddy) that I talk with about FIRE. Having this forum and my close friends helps a lot, because I love bouncing ideas and strategies off them to see what they think (and what ya'll think too!).

We have our own milestone competitions with one another and we have fun with it. I'm only 37 now (actually 37 next week), so our first competition was looking at how much we were losing in the market 5 years ago. Now it's much more positive on how our portfolios look :)

That is so cool that you can egg each other on and hold each other accountable. I like the Humble Harry idea of at first looking at a negative. Most people on mainstream forums only talk about positives or gains. This really bring out the humanity in what we are all trying to do. Good job.

That is so cool that you can egg each other on and hold each other accountable. I like the Humble Harry idea of at first looking at a negative. Most people on mainstream forums only talk about positives or gains. This really bring out the humanity in what we are all trying to do. Good job.

Thank you!

My friends and I share the dream of FIRE and we use whatever motivation that helps us to stay the course (FIRE!). My co-worker is currently handicapped because of something called "children", so I have built a nice lead on him. I try to not rub it in too much though :angel:

+1 I recently received a less than friendly response from a friend that wanted to schedule a Christmas trip to Jamaica (to a resort we'd visited with them two years earlier). I explained that we devoted our vacation budget to other trips to places we haven't yet visited and got a "you and that Quicken program can be no fun" response. I'm hoping to be "more fun" when I retire in two years.:dance:

When they say that, just tell them how about they join you and your spouse at YOUR next destination, since they have so much money to burn! If they try to use some excuse of "we don't have the money to go to Jamaica and your place", then just give them the exact line of how "you and your Quicken program are no fun!".

Last night an old schoolmate stopped by the office to see me. We were good friends when we were 16 and 17 years old, but these days a couple of years goes by between visits. We talked of many things, but he kept coming back to money. He is working for a defense contractor, but may get laid off soon. He was let go once before, but hired back when the work picked back up. He didn't say how much he was making, but it was under $100K. {which made him mad}

They owe 160K for their new house, 60K for wife's business, plus a couple of car loans. Less than 100K total savings. I ask if he was trying to sell the house or some of their six cars, trucks and bikes. No, they were all too important to get rid of.

If it wasn't sad, it would be funny.

yeah, God forbid he should make anything close to what the govvies doing the same job are making....

QUOTE=Larro Darro;1347486]He didn't say how much he was making, but it was under $100K. {which made him mad}

.[/QUOTE]

I can only talk to my parents and husband about the ER stuff. I shared with my friends when I became Semi-retired and they either tried giving me job leads or dirty looks. Two of our friends are in major hock (husband and wife)...$600K with the house, renovations, and student loans, and now children. DH and I are so glad that is not us!
It would be nice to have people that we can talk with about ER goals, finding good deals, and having some support.

Sorry...should have said people in real life ;)

Back
Top Bottom