Doctor visit question

Mulligan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I ventured to doctor for the first time in three years for a check up. A nurse put a clip monitor over the end of my finger. She measured the result and she said my oxygen was 99%. She said that was great as most people were 96%-97%. I heard the word great, and didn't put any more thought into until I got home. Now, I get home and realize I don't even know what the hell I am "great" in. Can anybody explain this to me? She might have mentioned another word after oxygen, but I don't remember, but all I know it was a clip type device I inserted my finger into. Another item I thought odd was she mentioned it was outstanding that I wasn't on any medication at my age (48) as most people my age are on some type of medication. Is that really true that most people are on some type of medication before 50? I find that hard to believe.

I think it is usual for someone in a doctor's office to remark as she did since so few people are engaged in preventive care. Most of the patients visiting the doctor are ILL. As for being 99% oxygen, it is good you were not 100% or you would be flamable.

Last edited:
I ventured to doctor for the first time in three years for a check up. A nurse put a clip monitor over the end of my finger. She measured the result and she said my oxygen was 99%. She said that was great as most people were 96%-97%. I heard the word great, and didn't put any more thought into until I got home. Now, I get home and realize I don't even know what the hell I am "great" in. Can anybody explain this to me? She might have mentioned another word after oxygen, but I don't remember, but all I know it was a clip type device I inserted my finger into. Another item I thought odd was she mentioned it was outstanding that I wasn't on any medication at my age (48) as most people my age are on some type of medication. Is that really true that most people are on some type of medication before 50? I find that hard to believe.

In the blood, oxygen is carried around by hemoglobin. The 99% number represents how saturated the hemogloobin is. Readings of >90% are generally normal. You can even get readings higher than 100% by breathing O2 under pressure.

Relax, it's normal. You won't explode.

heeyy_joe said:
I think it is usual for someone in a doctor's office to remark as she did since so few people are engaged in preventive care. Most of the patients visiting the doctor are ILL. As for being 99% oxygen, it is good you were not 100% or you would be flamable.

So I take it that you do not know what that means either? Since I hadn't been to him prior to Obamacare, I had to ask what he thought about it since I have had no discussions with a physician on the subject. Let's just say he wasn't a fan. The two pertinent things he mentioned to me was, the public does not understand all the taxes being imposed and that healthy people like me are going to pay through the nose to subsidize everyone else. On that bright note, I thought to myself I hope I don't come for my annual physical for at least another 3 years. :)

Rich_by_the_Bay said:
In the blood, oxygen is carried around by hemoglobin. The 99% number represents how saturated the hemogloobin is. Readings of >90% are generally normal. You can even get readings higher than 100% by breathing O2 under pressure.

Relax, it's normal. You won't explode.

Thanks for the info, Rich. You would think since I paid $100 to go visit, the least I could do was ask the question, but I went brain dead.

I am sure most people here on this forum are used to it, but I haven't been as much, so it still amazes me. Being on a HD plan, I paid at the time of service for my standard blood work, plus iron measurement. I was guessing around $100 in addition to the doctor visit. It turns out I wasn't off too much as they charged me $108. Not bad, I didn't have a problem with that. When I got home and actually read the bill, it started out at $675 before insurance negotiated rate reduced it down to my amount. I find that hard to believe that someone would actually pay that cost if they were paying cash without insurance.

:cool:

Attachments

• FartHeart.png
    FartHeart.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 18
So I take it that you do not know what that means either? Since I hadn't been to him prior to Obamacare, I had to ask what he thought about it since I have had no discussions with a physician on the subject. Let's just say he wasn't a fan. The two pertinent things he mentioned to me was, the public does not understand all the taxes being imposed and that healthy people like me are going to pay through the nose to subsidize everyone else. On that bright note, I thought to myself I hope I don't come for my annual physical for at least another 3 years. :)

I must admit that I am glad to know my hemo-goblins carry oxygen for me, I hope I get a 99% too. As for opinions on Obamacare, only time will tell if it's better than having people fill up emergency rooms for expensive care that you and I pay for now anyway. I think the key will be preventative medicine, andit will take several years to actually make a call as to the efficacy of the program. :angel:

Because of their simplicity of use and the ability to provide continuous and immediate oxygen saturation values, pulse oximeters are of critical importance in emergency medicine and are also very useful for patients with respiratory or cardiac problems, especially COPD, or for diagnosis of some sleep disorders such as apnea and hypopnea.

Pulse oximetry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Correct, but I would retake the patient's pulsox if the first reading was between 90-95%. I would be concerned with pulsox = 90% in a healthy adult (or child). If combined with SOB or any acute respiratory symptom, then more questions would need to be asked to the patient.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom