Does anyone here travel alone?

All about perception. That creep perceived you as vulnerable. Next time, just start fondling your husband, make out with him, make it a scene of love so grand that nobody would want to get in the middle.

We were in outdoor dining area, in France they have Demi pension, for half board, all the guests were dining outside. Yes fondling my husband in front of a crowd, can get somebody excited. The reaction might be worse and someone may go after my husband, kill him off so they can have a chance with me. I’ve watched too many movies lately. Body heat was on TV recently.

You have never been interested in anyone who approached you?

As a bit of background, I'm a single female who traveled alone a lot for work, domestically and at times, internationally, from 'back in the dark ages' of the early 1970s thru 2007. Some years I was on the road 100+ workdays. I have also vacationed alone, although it is not my preferred style of vacationing.

I could write a book on the dozens of men who have approached me while traveling. (I have entertained my friends with stories and they've suggested writing a book). Their approaches ranged from normal to odd and some were downright scary.

I never expressed a reciprocal interest in any of them. Why, you ask? I often had a long-term boyfriend back home. Plus I could tell some were married. Also I may have felt too vulnerable, was too busy, or simply didn't see any reason to 'start something' with them as it wouldn't go anywhere due to geography.

omni

Last edited:
It's nice to see a forum with so many seasoned travelers. Retirees seem to do so much better if they have something to look forward to, and for many that's travel.

My DW just got back from taking her DD to Las Vegas for 5 days. She hadn't hit the ground until she was planning on an inexpensive cruise with a girlfriend when the rates go down in January. They always have a great time together on cruises. I'm staying behind taking care of the 7 year old granddaughter we have permanent custody of.

I was astounded to hear her say she expected me to take a vacation by myself. But after many years of traveling 4 nights a week for business, I really have no desire to do any solo travel. Heck, we seldom leave our county except to go to our RV in the mountains. But we have been traveling to Europe on repositioning cruises in April.

But I have a friend's condo available in Budapest, and I might just go for a week.
Like I said, we all need something to look forward to in life--if just to disrupt the status quo. And we have the means to open the world of international travel to a little girl.

Last edited:
I am learning to travel alone again post divorce. I had my first solo adventure last week (3 days in Virginia). The solo drive was fun and I enjoyed the flexibility to explore as I pleased, but eating out at sit down restaurants by myself will take some getting used to.

I plan on exploring Europe on my own over the next few years. I will probably do some slow travel by car and train - staying at Airbnbs for a few days at a time before moving on to a new area. I am also considering living for a few months at a time in several European cities to get a better feel for local life.

The solo drive was fun and I enjoyed the flexibility to explore as I pleased, but eating out at sit down restaurants by myself will take some getting used to.
I'm 77 and I don't think I have ever done this. If I am alone, there had better be a counter or a bar where I can be served.

For me it would be preferable to find some pleasant women who might make good dinner companions, and make up the additional cost to you by going less often. Many seem to do fine alone, but I am not one of them.

My GF was in Italy getting some keyboard training, and often she ate with her teacher, but sometimes he was himself traveling and she knew no one to eat with. Sometimes the waiter seated her with a man, which she did enjoy.

Ha

When I moved down to FLA, I drove down alone for the 1k mile trip over 3 days. It was refreshing for a change, but would not want to do it on a regular basis.

I am learning to travel alone again post divorce. I had my first solo adventure last week (3 days in Virginia). The solo drive was fun and I enjoyed the flexibility to explore as I pleased, but eating out at sit down restaurants by myself will take some getting used to.

I plan on exploring Europe on my own over the next few years. I will probably do some slow travel by car and train - staying at Airbnbs for a few days at a time before moving on to a new area. I am also considering living for a few months at a time in several European cities to get a better feel for local life.

I've been considering a trip to Rome by myself as I am recently single. I think if I were a man I would have already booked the trip, but unfortunately it's kind of scary for women to travel alone.

Sometimes the waiter seated her with a man, which she did enjoy.

Ha

I’ve wondered about that. I’ve traveled and sat alone many times and I’ve often wondered what a woman would say if I offered to join her so neither of us would eat alone. It would be nice if the restaurant paired people up. Ask the woman if she’d mind. I guess without the normalization of it, the woman would think me a creep. I don’t want to be that guy, but it would be interesting just to talk instead of having my face in my phone and eating fast just to get out of there.

I try to take at least two big driving trips by myself each year now that DW is handicapped and it's difficult to travel with her (breathing equipment, walker, etc). She's OK with this as her daughter can easily look after her while I am gone.

Last year and early this year, I drove from Texas to Connecticut and back and visited friends and family in several states along the routes. I also went to the U.P. of Michigan with two friends for almost two weeks in June to help build a Noreaster Dory 17' sail/row boat at the Great Lakes Shipbuilding School in Cedarville. That was a very fun trip!

Next year when I turn 76, myself and a couple of close friends have two trips in the planning stages, each of which will be two weeks in duration. No internations trips as I have no desire to do that ever again.

I’m going on a cruise next year through Norway’s fjords. I’m also splurging on business class lay flat beds.

Back in the day I worked in a remote area - fly down Monday morning, back Friday night, for a year and a half. One learns to eat alone in restaurants. Then and now, it is much easier for men than women. It's easier for both with a mobile device.

I also found that, when alone, I eat and drink less. Good for losing weight.

I'm 77 and I don't think I have ever done this. If I am alone, there had better be a counter or a bar where I can be served.

For me it would be preferable to find some pleasant women who might make good dinner companions, and make up the additional cost to you by going less often. Many seem to do fine alone, but I am not one of them.

My GF was in Italy getting some keyboard training, and often she ate with her teacher, but sometimes he was himself traveling and she knew no one to eat with. Sometimes the waiter seated her with a man, which she did enjoy.

Ha

Finding a pleasant dinner companion would be ideal indeed, but this is not an easy task (for me at least) to pick up a stranger when traveling (at home I have my pick of pleasant people to share a meal with).

During my Virginia trip, I considered ordering room service and eating in my room. But I really did not want to deprive myself of a good meal just because I was unaccompanied. I picked restaurants with excellent food and really enjoyed myself despite some mild social discomfort. In fact, I was able to focus on and enjoy the food much more than I would have with a dinner companion. And the waiting staff was particularly attentive and friendly.

The plan for my future solo adventures is to rent a small place via Airbnb and cook for myself. But I might still face the discomfort of eating out by myself if I find a restaurant that is worth it.

Last edited:

When I was widowed I found it awkward to eat alone but I got used to it and now I actually enjoy it . One of my guilty pleasures is stopping for breakfast or lunch when I am out running errands . My So thinks it is amusing .

I have no problem eating alone. But I seldom go to a sit down restaurant when I'm traveling solo. My solo trips are usually for photography missions in the wombats somewhere, and I'm generally not near a restaurant during dinnertime.

I travel alone and understand the apprehension about restaurants when solo. That's why I do delis.

Yeah, I buy prepared stuff a lot- Pret a Manger in Europe, for example, or fruit, cheese, wine, breads, pasta dishes or salads in the grocery stores. I've been using Airbnb for longer trips, so more options to prepare my own food. Occasionally I'll have lunch in a museum restaurant- it's a nice break and it helps support the museum. That's pretty much what DH and I did most of the time, anyway. Food was mostly fuel to keep going.

I had to laugh when I talked to some of the women in my Garden Club about wandering through Paris, Edinburgh and Dundee on my own- you'd have thought I'd been kayaking solo down the Amazon.:D

Sine I have been married, i have only gone alone on very short trips:
To see my aged mom in FL on my birthday every year

To fly counter drug missions on the border with CAP
To see my mom on her 102nd birthday with my sis, and a few days later go to mom's funeral

YW is travelling around the world solo as I type. It's her first time overseas without me. Talk to her a few times a day and she is always sending selfies. You gotta love Whatsapp for travelling!

I travel with friends, but don't hesitate to travel by myself if I can't find someone to go with me. Most of my longer trips are by bicycle, though not all. I was on a wonderful bike trip in SW France last year with a couple of close friends who I've biked with before. I planned our route and my friends were happy to let me do it.

A friend & I were planning a bike trip in Colombia this coming January, but he can no longer go. I plan on going on my own. I've biked in Latin America both with friends and on my own.

When I've biked on my own, I've often met other cyclists on the road and paired up with them for days or longer. It has usually worked out well. I'm still in touch with cyclists I've met throughout the world. I can speak a few foreign languages and that has greatly enhanced my travel experiences. It has also allowed me to make some lifelong friends.

I just returned from a driving & day hiking trip in national parks & national monuments in the southwestern US. I did it on my own (originally a friend was going to join me), and I had a great time. Over half of my accommodations were Airbnb, the rest were motels. I love Mexican food so I usually ate dinner in small mom & pop Mexican places. I ate very well.

I haven't been able to travel nearly as much as I'd like in the past few years, due to eldercare responsibilities.

When I look forward to going somewhere, and to minimize my Southwest points, I book a month out. When I get close to the time of leaving, the excitement I had when plans were made are diminished and I cancel the trip.

I would like to travel more, but I end up canceling more often than not. The biggest reason is I have two doggies that I'm terribly fond of. I have house cameras, and when I'm gone, one of the dogs sits outside by the gate never moving for hours waiting for my return. It's heartbreaking.

I’m going on a cruise next year through Norway’s fjords. I’m also splurging on business class lay flat beds.

just realize that there is no going back after you have done the lay flat beds. Even Premium Economy won't do. :D

Yes. Men, consider yourselves lucky to not get this. When you're a women alone, let's just say it's not rare that the stranger isn't thrilled when you gently turn them down. You spend the rest of your stay hoping they don't end up in your elevator or on your floor in the hotel.

Unfortunately you are correct. The Black Widow Scam

Finding a pleasant dinner companion would be ideal indeed, but this is not an easy task (for me at least) to pick up a stranger when traveling (at home I have my pick of pleasant people to share a meal with).

During my Virginia trip, I considered ordering room service and eating in my room. But I really did not want to deprive myself of a good meal just because I was unaccompanied. I picked restaurants with excellent food and really enjoyed myself despite some mild social discomfort. In fact, I was able to focus on and enjoy the food much more than I would have with a dinner companion. And the waiting staff was particularly attentive and friendly.

The plan for my future solo adventures is to rent a small place via Airbnb and cook for myself. But I might still face the discomfort of eating out by myself if I find a restaurant that is worth it.

Understood. I did not mean trying to find some random female while on a trip. We all know where that might lead, and much of it would not be fun. Your life has been abruptly upended, I can imagine that it takes a while to put a good social infrastructure in place, even at home. On a trip, yikes!

Ha

just realize that there is no going back after you have done the lay flat beds. Even Premium Economy won't do. :D

I’m afraid of that part. I really wanted to try the lay flat beds before I died. [emoji1] A couple of domestic flights ago, I was upgraded to first class. I’m getting so spoiled.[emoji1]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom