Don’t like my new concrete color...

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
... and not sure how to fix it.

Paint it? Stain it? Or else ?

Really would like to look the color more older then new and whiteish

Anybody has any inputs?

Thx

is this inside your home or outside? Is it a sidewalk or a patio. Floated or brushed?

I have seen stain concrete inside that looks good. It was a smooth concrete inside a home. I see it sometimes in a wine tasting center to resemble an "old" surface. If your concrete is brushed you might need to grind it smooth. That is a fair amount of work

Are you trying to match some older concrete, like a sidewalk? I would just live with that and before long it will match all by itself

This is a driveway outside

Not sure what’s difference between floated and brushed is

The finish method. Brushed is simply that, they drag a stiff bristle floor brush over the top and grave in "brush lines". Float is smooth, the guys just smooth the surface with flat trowels.

If it's new it's gonna get lighter with time. Give it a year.

The finish method. Brushed is simply that, they drag a stiff bristle floor brush over the top and grave in "brush lines". Float is smooth, the guys just smooth the surface with flat trowels.

Float I guess then :facepalm:

OP - I think you are saying it is too bright and white.

Concrete will darken, over time, which is how the old ones look darker than new.

A picture would help and make the thread more interesting :)

<edit> Thinking about it, did you have them color it for you , or is it the extra bright white topping thrown on top that you don't like ?

Last edited:
As others have stated, it will darken over time, but may not match exactly.
We had our driveway replaced about 5 years ago, it has darkened, but still does not match the lip edge to the street (which we did not replace, as the "belongs" to the city and would need a permit to improve/fix, rather than simply replace with the driveway:facepalm:)

If OP was terribly concerned, setting up a sprinkler that will wet the driveway with 2 minutes of spraying would speed up the darkening. Turn on the sprinkler for 2 minutes before going to bed (don't leave it on all night). Just want to wet the driveway.

This will speed up the mold growth, which leaves behind darker cement, this can be seen as people lighten up their concrete using power washers or bleach to remove the mold/mildew/residue from old driveways.

This is a driveway outside

Not sure what’s difference between floated and brushed is

Float I guess then :facepalm:
Most of the time, driveways and sidewalks are brushed (or broomed as we say here). Things like home foundations and garage floors are usually floated (smooth). As a rule, if the surface is exposed to elements (rain, snow, etc), it will be brushed. Indoors it will be floated or smooth. I've seen exceptions, like outdoor patios...

Last edited:
Most of the time, driveways and sidewalks are brushed (or broomed as we say here). Things like home foundations and garage floors are usually floated (smooth). As a rule, if the surface is exposed to elements (rain, snow, etc), it will be brushed. Indoors it will be floated or smooth. I've seen exceptions, like outdoor patios...

Right. Floated is much too slippery (especially when wet) for a driveway. Dangerous!

If OP was terribly concerned, setting up a sprinkler that will wet the driveway with 2 minutes of spraying would speed up the darkening. Turn on the sprinkler for 2 minutes before going to bed (don't leave it on all night). Just want to wet the driveway.

This will speed up the mold growth, which leaves behind darker cement, this can be seen as people lighten up their concrete using power washers or bleach to remove the mold/mildew/residue from old driveways.

Or what i was thinking to suggest, pressure wash the old surface to make it cleaner and it will be brighter to match the new concrete. Then let them both age and darken some.

Or what i was thinking to suggest, pressure wash the old surface to make it cleaner and it will be brighter to match the new concrete. Then let them both age and darken some.
That was going to be my suggestion, especially if the older surface has been around for a while and never pressure washed.

OP - I think you are saying it is too bright and white.

Concrete will darken, over time, which is how the old ones look darker than new.

A picture would help and make the thread more interesting :)

<edit> Thinking about it, did you have them color it for you , or is it the extra bright white topping thrown on top that you don't like ?

See attached

Attachments

• IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 19
Honestly, it looks like the older concrete will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. You might try the suggestion to power wash the older surface, but at least from the photo I would be concerned about part of the concrete breaking away in the process. Maybe just wait until next Spring to decide what to do?

So if OP pressure washes, and the old concrete comes out bright, would that be satisfactory for OP when the wash line stops at OP's property line ?

I do think pressure washing the old, and/or pouring on a strong but diluted bleach solution on the old concrete and let it sit for hours, would lighten up the old concrete so it's less of a difference. But it won't be brand new white.

Back
Top Bottom