Don't Do This When Driving.......what to do now?

Sorry about your accident. Just hope the driver of the other car doesn't decide she has injuries. This happened to me when I rear ended someone. Barely tapped their bumper. Very minor damage to both vehicles as documented by photos. All passengers said they were fine but later went to doc for injuries. My car insurance almost doubled for 3 years because I was at fault for an accident where there were "injuries."

Seems like a good time/place to insert an Umbrella Insurance commercial.

Sorry about your accident. Just hope the driver of the other car doesn't decide she has injuries. This happened to me when I rear ended someone. Barely tapped their bumper. Very minor damage to both vehicles as documented by photos. All passengers said they were fine but later went to doc for injuries. My car insurance almost doubled for 3 years because I was at fault for an accident where there were "injuries."

OP here. I guess I need to decide soon whether to file a report on this incident. Trying to assess consequences of each action/inaction:

I) A)Other driver doesn't file a claim
B)OP doesn't report incident to insurance
C)Cost to OP = 0

II)A)Other driver doesn't file a claim
B)OP reports incident to insurance
C)Cost to OP = guesstimate $550 over 6 yrs
Insurance agent told me premiums would increase for 6 yrs. %increase
is quite large initially but decreases each yr. Fortunately since car is old and
base rate is low, actual $ increases are reasonable and the "installment plan" over 6 yrs makes it somewhat painless.

III)A)Other driver files delayed claim
B)OP reports incident to insurance
C)Cost to OP same as II above $550 over 6 yrs. Insurance pays all actual claims for property damage/personal injury (I'm assuming my premiums increase because I filed claim........and won't increase more if personal injury
is involved but I don't know that for sure.

IV)A) Other driver files delayed claim
B)OP does not report incident to insurance (at least not within required
window)
C) Cost to OP.......all damages, both property and personal injury;
>1K property damage; :confused: $$$$for personal injury.

Do I have all the relevant factors listed? Inclined to report incident to avoid
Case IV............the 6 yr installment plan does a lot to make the sting less
painful..............more time to get credit card bonuses to pay for increased
premiums.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom