Don't Forget your Quarterlies, Due Today

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I did, until 15 minutes ago. Realized I don't have enough in checking. I made a transaction from Vanguard to my bank, but I'm afraid it will be to slow, so moved $10k from our Heloc to the checking so I could send the money via EFTPS. Hopefully it is only a 3 or 4 day loan.

I was hoping I would make it until December before I needed to put more money into checking. Darn Taxes!

I schedule the entire tax year's quarterlies through EFTPS and the similar CA site. All I have to do is make sure there is enough in my checking account to cover it.

I schedule the entire tax year's quarterlies through EFTPS and the similar CA site. All I have to do is make sure there is enough in my checking account to cover it.

I'll eventually get around to that, and I normally keep plenty in my checking, but I was down to my year end low and it would have bit me.

+1

And I love that they send a reminder 3 days in advance to say a payment will happen.
Time enough to move money or cancel it, if skipping the Country ;)

OP - If you schedule it for the year, they notify you about upcoming payments.

Same here. Was pulled this morning.

+1

And I love that they send a reminder 3 days in advance to say a payment will happen.

Yes, I love the notifications. They just started this a couple of years ago and it’s a great confirmation. They also confirm when you initially schedule payments.

I actually switched to a savings account where I keep a higher balance.

I did cancel a payment once. I realized last year that I had already overpaid taxes for 2022, so I skipped Jan.

Last edited:
+1

Good to know!
Now, should I opt in for auto bill pay, for all my other bills :)
I had a $9.99 charge on my credit card for what I thought was a subscription for access to one group or another, the vendor name was not very descriptive. I racked my brain trying to remember what I was still paying for, as I thought I had cancelled everything. Finally figured out it was for an IPTV provider I have.

Thank you Time2. Mine went to the post office on Sunday. I try to pay a bit early.

+1

I had forgotten that anyone ever paid quarterlies without using EFTPS. Thanks, Audreyh1 for posting about EFTPS many, many years ago since that's where I learned about it. I think I might have paid my quarterlies without EFTPS maybe once at the very beginning but for me EFTPS is the way to go.

I just keep enough in my checking account at all times (to cover it any day of the year), and then I don't even have to make sure there is enough there to cover it. Sort of like not bouncing checks. ;) All I need to do is set up EFTPS and the similar Louisiana service each year when I am doing my taxes.

Yep, just now checked and both got paid today.

+1

I had forgotten that anyone ever paid quarterlies without using EFTPS. Thanks, Audreyh1 for posting about EFTPS many, many years ago since that's where I learned about it. I think I might have paid my quarterlies without EFTPS maybe once at the very beginning but for me EFTPS is the way to go.

I just keep enough in my checking account at all times (to cover it any day of the year), and then I don't even have to make sure there is enough there to cover it. Sort of like not bouncing checks. ;) All I need to do is set up EFTPS and the similar Louisiana service each year when I am doing my taxes.

I have a separate, dedicated "tax account." I had been keeping more than enough in that account -but got annoyed at them paying next to no interest and bought treasuries to earn interest. More work for me but . . .

Yep, scheduled in advance, got the email notification it was coming, and I also put an entry for each payment in my spreadsheet checkbook at the start of the year (spaced down to where I think it will fall) to make sure I've got the money to cover it.

As others, I scheduled in advance. The email reminder prompts me for the state payment (MO won't let you schedule in advance:facepalm:)

I normally have enough funds to cover, but the email reminds me to check.

+1

I discovered it in early 2000s, maybe by 2002, and was delighted because I was sick and tired of going to the post office and filling out the certified mail forms, and dealing with mail in general.

I made a very strong push in 2004 to automate/make electronic every last financial thing I could, because we were getting ready to RV fulltime and mail would be sporadic. We really needed to do everything possible online. We were largely successful. Really got mail down to almost nothing including cancelling all print subscriptions. And Escapees Mail Service filtered out junk mail and forwarded our mail as needed.

Last edited:
I have a separate, dedicated "tax account." I had been keeping more than enough in that account -but got annoyed at them paying next to no interest and bought treasuries to earn interest. More work for me but . . .
Another option is to open a high yield savings account at one of the online banks paying decent interest and use that account. EFTPS will set up a different set of log in credentials for that account but it’s straightforward otherwise. That’s what I ended up doing.

I made a very strong push in 2004 to automate/make electronic every last financial thing I could, because we were getting ready to RV fulltime and mail would be sporadic. We really needed to do everything possible online. We were largely successful.

I have been doing this (gradually) for several years because I am 75, and becoming aware of aging. If/when major health issues pop up, I want financial things like paying bills to take care of themselves automatically, as much as possible anyway.

That came in handy a couple of years ago when I had that severe case of Covid double pneumonia in Arkansas (while traveling through on a hurricane evacuation). In the hospital ICU on every medication known to man, and also temporarily half demented due to severe Covid brain fog, I didn't need to worry about financial stuff, or paying the usual household bills, because it was all automated. Nice little test.

We'll all grow older, and I like knowing that these things will take care of themselves even if/when I can't attend to them. What a huge advantage to living in the 21st century! :D

I've been supposed to pay quarterlies for over 60 years. Never have. Think of, and pay the tax bill (and penalty) once a year around April 14. The other 364 days I just couldn't be bothered....I know it's stupid but it's my personal BTD.

If you miss the deadline, can't you still just pay any time? Or make two payments the next quarter?

Yep, scheduled in advance, got the email notification it was coming, and I also put an entry for each payment in my spreadsheet checkbook at the start of the year (spaced down to where I think it will fall) to make sure I've got the money to cover it.

I do exactly the same thing in my excel check register.

It goes into Quicken scheduled payments for each quarter, each of which repeats annually, so I simply update them when I schedule the next set of payments. The Quicken scheduled payments act as a first reminder.

Thanks for the reminder. I've been paying them so long that those 4 dates are etched in my mind.

Another option is to open a high yield savings account at one of the online banks paying decent interest and use that account. EFTPS will set up a different set of log in credentials for that account but it’s straightforward otherwise. That’s what I ended up doing.

My step in that direction was to open a checking account at Fidelity. (I can make instantaneous transfers from my brokerage account to checking account.)

I don't bother with exact day, just send my check in sometime during the month due. No problems that I am aware of.
Only had a penalty once, I completely forgot the 4th payment! Now I have reminders.

I don’t schedule ahead since I adjust quarterly based on how dividends, STCG, interest and other factors are shaping up for the year. But there’s no chance I’ll forget because I get a reminder from my devices 5 days before each quarterly deadline - I set it up once and it rolls with no end date, so it happens year in and year out. That gives me 5 days to transfer money if needed and make estimated payments Fed and state online. Smart device reminders make life a lot easier for this and many other tasks!

Last edited:
I do the 1/4 of prior years taxes (x110%) quarterly, reevaluating in December. If it looks like we’re going to overpay I can adjust the 4th payment in Jan. Otherwise we’ve met safe harbor and I will pay the balance April 15.

I occasionally use the annualized income method, like after a very high income year, but I haven’t had to for quite a while. Not dealing with it until December saves me a great deal of time/work.

Back
Top Bottom