Don't miss things to do in the Finger Lakes

frugal-one

Recycles dryer sheets
Going to Finger Lakes region of New York in September. Will hit Niagra Falls as well and plan on hiking and doing nature based activities. Any things in this category NOT TO MISS? Will go to the Corning factory and see Kodak museum too.

Not too interested in the wine/cheese/beer tours.

Thanks!

My family is from the area and I grew up spending summers on Seneca Lake. I wouldn't miss the boat that leaves Watkins Glen and goes up Seneca Lake for the sunset cruise. I'd also hit the Glen at Watkins, it's amazing, well worth the walk.

In September be aware of the temperature it will cool off when the sun sets.

Oh yeah, have a Genny.

I went last fall for a marathon in Corning, then a couple nights in Ithaca, and a night in Cooperstown. I started the trip by going to Fallingwater in western PA, but that might be too far for you. I've always wanted to go there so it was worth swinging wide on my way up to Corning to see it.

There are some really pretty gorges and waterfalls, especially if you're willing to hike. Some can be seen from pull offs from the road though, or short hikes. I think I only scratched the surface in and around Ithaca.

I think you mean the Corning Museum of Glass, which really was neat. Maybe the factory has a tour, I don't know.

Baseball Hall of Fame, if you're at all into that. I spent a full day there, plus a little time in the baseball card shops in the neighborhood. Cooperstown is a very quaint town too. Just don't stay in the train station turned hotel. Well-run, but noise really carries.

Touring Cornell might be worth it. It's a very big, spread out campus, and you're told to park quite a few blocks from where it starts. And it's hard to find your way. I found Ithaca in general pricey, hard to find parking, and not easy to get around.

I think you have received some good suggestions already. The Moosewood restaurant in Cornell was a fun stop since we have used their cookbook for years. Just another mention of Watkins Glen.

+1 on Watkins Glen and the Museum of Glass. Lots of wineries if you like that.

James Fenimore Cooper Museum in Cooperstown.

Seems I remember there was an Oneida outlet in Corning. Don't know if it's still there.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I am taking note.

In a previous RV trip, while in a campground down the river from Niagara Falls, I talked with a fellow local camper. He said I needed to visit Finger Lakes. I did not know about this, and had already planned out our itinerary and had to be in Acadia for a certain event. I thought I would come back on a future trip.

Google Maps says it's 2,500 miles from here. A round trip plus all the wandering will make it 7,500 miles easy. Hopefully, gas prices will stay cheap next year.

My family is from the area and I grew up spending summers on Seneca Lake. I wouldn't miss the boat that leaves Watkins Glen and goes up Seneca Lake for the sunset cruise. I'd also hit the Glen at Watkins, it's amazing, well worth the walk.

Oh yeah, have a Genny.

Gather a Genny is the local beer:confused:

Thanks too DaveF for the Moosewood Restaurant suggestion. I did not know that was there. Will definitely have to check it out. Unfortunately, we are not going as far as Cooperstown. I have lots of places to visit on my list, bought the Moon Spotlight on Finger Lakes book and just got back from AAA with more info. There are many parks and hiking/waterfall trails. It should really be fun.

So far there is enough to do in the .... Rochester, Niagra Falls, Cornell, and Ithaca route.

Last edited:
If you're in Cooperstown, the Ommegang brewery is well worth a visit.

I also second the Corning glass museum.

+1 on Moosewood in Ithaca and hike in Watkins Glenn. (They don't let dogs on the best trail.)
Add at least a day at Letchworth State Park.
Dinosaur BBQ in Rochester and Syracuse is the best bbq in the East.
Geneseo and Hammondsport are cute little towns.

Gather a Genny is the local beer:confused:

Thanks too DaveF for the Moosewood Restaurant suggestion. I did not know that was there. Will definitely have to check it out. Unfortunately, we are not going as far as Cooperstown. I have lots of places to visit on my list, bought the Moon Spotlight on Finger Lakes book and just got back from AAA with more info. There are many parks and hiking/waterfall trails. It should really be fun.

So far there is enough to do in the .... Rochester, Niagra Falls, Cornell, and Ithaca route.
Genny = Genesee Beer. It's regional, but I've recently seen it in SW CO! It's a love/hate type beer. You drank it as a young person because it's cheap, hated it when you had some money and quickly bought and hid it when you were broke. [emoji23] I do like their cream ale, but it's been many years since I enjoyed one.

https://www.geneseebeer.com/beer/genesee/

ETA: Someone else mentioned, there's a booming wine business around the lake area. When I was a kid they grew grapes, now bus tours of wineries are huge.

Last edited:
There is a state park called the Grand Canyon of the east. I think near Rochester. It’s been so long that I cannot remember the name. I think it’s called Letchworth. Really beautiful!

Last edited:

Oh yeah, have a Genny.

My memories of the Glen is from the late 1970's when several of my friends and I would drive from Connecticut the first weekend in October and camp out at the race grounds. They ran the Grand Prix there and that was the last GP of the year.

I would bring my 1974 VW Bus and another pal would bring a van pulling a pop up camper. We would arrive on Thursday, set up camp and party until the Sunday race. Absolutely a nutty time there. We would bring our motorcycles too.

The scenery was awesome!

Keuka Outlet Trail between Dresden and Penn Yan, better on bike but a lot of fun walking if you have a sharp eye. Grimes Glen in Naples (bring water walking shoes, you walk through the creek). Letchworth State Park if you have a rainy day hike. High Falls in Rochester is fun on a rainy day if you plan it when the museums are open. Grand Canyon of the East is in Colton Point Pennsylvania, it is so so, much better after the leaves have fully turned in the fall. Sonnenberg Gardens in Canandaigua if you are into the garden thing. Balloon Festival in Dansville Labor Day weekend (check the schedule and forecast, pray for no wind). Naples Grape Festival in September, drive in from the south because the traffic backs up for miles to the north. Glider Plane rides at Big Flats or Dansville, call at least three days ahead (it will be a flight you will never forget). The Glider Museum at Harris Hill is one of a kind. Downtown Watkins Glen, Ithaca or Corning. Wait for at least 2 days with no rain and not a Saturday if going to hike the Glen at Watkins. Fillmore Glen State Park is a great off the beaten path smaller park, a lot of walking and very few other people. Chimney Bluffs State Park in Sodus, on Lake Ontario. Canal Museum in Syracuse, another rainy activity. Yes, we have had A LOT of rain this year.

Since you mentioned Niagara Falls here are some suggestions for it. 1. Go to the Canadian side. Much better views also they have developed the entire riverfront as parks. After seeing the falls drive along the river to see other sights including the Floral Clock. 2. Bring your passport, Canada is not part of the US and its required for entry and reentry into the US. On the US side check out Goat Island where you can stand next to the Falls. Also try the Maid of the Mist; a boat that goes behind the Falls.
Enjoy yourself

... Bring your passport, Canada is not part of the US...

But it could have been. :angel:

When I went to the museum in Ottawa and also the Citadel in Halifax, I saw quite a few displays and references to the US invasion in 1812. I did not attend high school in the US, so do not know if the US history textbook just ignores it, but the Canadians still take it to heart. :LOL:

In fact, the Halifax Citadel was rebuilt a couple of times to reinforce it in preparation for another US invasion, which never came. :D

But it could have been. :angel:

When I went to the museum in Ottawa and also the Citadel in Halifax, I saw quite a few displays and references to the US invasion in 1812. I did not attend high school in the US, so do not know if the US history textbook just ignores it, but the Canadians still take it to heart. :LOL:

In fact, the Halifax Citadel was rebuilt a couple of times to reinforce it in preparation for another US invasion, which never came. :D

Definitely covered, at least back when I was in school. Don't know about now.

Take cutoffs to slide down the falls (Watkins Glen - not Niagara).

Seneca Falls is quite a historic town, with the National Women's Hall of Fame and other historic sites. The Erie Canal is also nearby.

US attacks on Canada were mentioned in my classes in the context of the War of 1812 and the cruel British injustice towards American sailors. What do they expect when they burn down the White House?

During the Napoleonic war between the UK and France, the US did try to stay neutral, but the British Navy had this habit of confiscating goods from US merchants, and conscripting American sailors to serve in the British Navy.

Canada was not an independent country then, so attacking a British territory was just part of the retribution the US wanted to inflict. The US population was more than 12 million then, while Canada had only 500,000. Jefferson thought that victory should be easy, and the invasion was just the "matter of marching there". And there was plan of annexing Canada too. :)

It turned out that the American Indians in both the US and Canada were not happy with their land being encroached on by the Americans. And they did play a major part by helping the Canadians and British repelling the American invasion.

The invasion of the US and the burning of the White House and the Capitol came after that failed American invasion of Canada. And Canada did not become independent until 1867.

Last edited:
DW and I just returned from a trip to Fallingwater, Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes region and Letchworth State Park. Thanks to the above posters for their suggestions. Two weeks wasn't long enough to cover everything but we got a lot in.

On the way to western PA we drove through the heart of WV, stopping to see the New River Gorge and the high bridge crossing it. Amazing! Near Fallingwater is Kentuck Knob, another FLW-designed home which we enjoyed almost as much, as well as the nearby state park and its waterfalls. We stayed at a B&B about 20 minutes away (it's in the middle of nowhere).

We had never been to Niagara and it's just stunning, although the tacky development nearby reminds me of the beach what with the go-karts, wax museums, etc. We stayed at the Marriott Fallsview with a two-story room with loft overlooking the falls, which cost an arm and a leg but was worth the experience, especially at night when they light the falls with colored lights.

From there we went to Seneca Falls where DW especially enjoyed the women's rights museum, as did I. Another B&B, very nice. I love B&Bs although this one was like staying in a museum. We didn't have a comfortable place to sit for almost two weeks, except for the Marriott.

From there we went to Watkins Glen via Ithaca, where we ate at Moosewood (a wee but disappointing but worth it). At lunch there we overheard someone talking about the Cornell Dairy Bar where ice cream from the Food Sciences school is sold. With help of Google we easily found it, and wow! that was the best ice cream I ever ate.

Hiking the Glen was an experience not to be missed. We stayed at a B&B-style hotel which also had no comfortable chairs. Very cute, though, but the experience was somewhat lessened by the snarky owner. I learned to ignore him, though.

Finally we stayed at Letchworth. Very scenic, as others have said.

Thanks again. We had a great time, but we hugged our La-Z-Boys as soon as we got home. :)

DW and I just returned from a trip to Fallingwater, Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes region and Letchworth State Park. Thanks to the above posters for their suggestions. Two weeks wasn't long enough to cover everything but we got a lot in.

On the way to western PA we drove through the heart of WV, stopping to see the New River Gorge and the high bridge crossing it. Amazing! Near Fallingwater is Kentuck Knob, another FLW-designed home which we enjoyed almost as much, as well as the nearby state park and its waterfalls. We stayed at a B&B about 20 minutes away (it's in the middle of nowhere).

We had never been to Niagara and it's just stunning, although the tacky development nearby reminds me of the beach what with the go-karts, wax museums, etc. We stayed at the Marriott Fallsview with a two-story room with loft overlooking the falls, which cost an arm and a leg but was worth the experience, especially at night when they light the falls with colored lights.

From there we went to Seneca Falls where DW especially enjoyed the women's rights museum, as did I. Another B&B, very nice. I love B&Bs although this one was like staying in a museum. We didn't have a comfortable place to sit for almost two weeks, except for the Marriott.

From there we went to Watkins Glen via Ithaca, where we ate at Moosewood (a wee but disappointing but worth it). At lunch there we overheard someone talking about the Cornell Dairy Bar where ice cream from the Food Sciences school is sold. With help of Google we easily found it, and wow! that was the best ice cream I ever ate.

Hiking the Glen was an experience not to be missed. We stayed at a B&B-style hotel which also had no comfortable chairs. Very cute, though, but the experience was somewhat lessened by the snarky owner. I learned to ignore him, though.

Finally we stayed at Letchworth. Very scenic, as others have said.

Thanks again. We had a great time, but we hugged our La-Z-Boys as soon as we got home. :)

I take that you passed on the cat walk tour that runs under the car bridge (about 1K ft above the river)?

I take that you passed on the cat walk tour that runs under the car bridge (about 1K ft above the river)?

You mean the New River Gorge Bridge. I might have done it but we were just passing over the bridge and only stopped at the visitor's center for a break. It was mainly a good excuse to travel via WV instead of I-81 in VA. :eek:

Just found https://bridgewalk.com . Looks like you can even do the bridgewalk in moonlight. Bridge Days are coming up next month; I'm thinking of driving over and watching the BASE jumpers parachute off the bridge.

Back
Top Bottom