Girls Trip 2023?

iloveyoga

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am working on a girls trip for 2023. Four retirees, we all used to work together. Everyone is pretty active, walk, bike, easy hiking. Everyone likes to eat, shop, sightsee, enjoy nature and visit. We are located in the central Iowa area.

Here are a couple ideas we are looking at:

1. Sedona in April. We would fly into Phoenix, rent a car, and probably stay in an Airbnb. Weather looks nice flight prices not bad. I have never been here.

2. Niagra Falls area in late August, would probably stay in hotels and find some other things to do in the area. I have been here once so have somewhat of a feel for what to expect.

3. Smoky Mountain area, fly into Knoxville, TN April or early September. Never been here.

4. Bangor, Maine in late August early September. This looks a little harder to get to and flights are pricier. I have always wanted to go here.

Does anyone have any input or opinions to share on these trip ideas. I would appreciate it! Thank you in advance.

I can help you with the Smoky Mtns. I live in the area.

If you are headed to Sedona, keep in mind it’s a small, but popular area. Hiking is going to be your main activity or touristy things like Pink Jeep tours. There really is only a small downtown and it gets crowded. I would look at expanding your trip to include Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon and the surrounding region.

If you want to go to Bangor, you could fly into Portland or Boston, rent a car, and then drive from there. Not a terrible drive. Many flights and not so pricey.

If outdoor activities/hiking are your jam, consider the Jenny Lake Lodge in Grand Teton National Park. The Lodge is only about 30 minutes from Jackson Hole airport and is a great launching point for multiple trails right outside your door. Lodging fee includes breakfast and dinner at the Lodge’s outstanding restaurant, all at the base of the Grand Tetons. It’s a bit pricey ($1,000/night), but lodging is in duplex cabins (some singles), but each side of the duplex has 2 queen beds so if you’re willing to share rooms, you’d be looking at $500/night. Horseback riding, biking and many other activities are also included in the rate.

It’s a special and memorable place.

How many days are you planning

Great choices OP.

Sedona great in April. Lots of AirBnB's. Can be crowded that time of year. Don't go during Spring Break. Takes a while to get around by car. Do the Pink Jeep tour. Awesome hikes - go to the Hike House store for hiking tips. Watch for rattlesnakes - just coming out of hibernation. Usually harmless unless provoked. Lots of little shops downtown and Tlaquepaque a little walk south of downtown. Do a day trip to Grand Canyon or Flagstaff if you have time.

Smoky Mountains - another good one. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are a lot bigger than Sedona. Lots of dining in town, hiking in Smoky Mtn Nat Park. Hike part of Appalachian Trail. Driving tour of Cades Cove area. Again can be crowded - don't go here during spring break.

We haven't been to Bangor, but I would look at Bar Harbor instead for better hiking at Acadia. As to Niagara Falls - not sure what to do there other than the falls and a day trip to Toronto.

Fly into Portland Maine after Labor day. Drive up the coast (rte 1) to Camden, Bar Harbor for a few days. Drive back inland to Bangor(only an hour and a half or less from Bar Harbor) then back to Portland. September is my favorite month in Maine. No bugs, less tourists , dry weather (no humidity) etc.

Last edited:
Been to 3 of the 4 (Not Niagara)... recommend Sedona hands down! You'll have the best weather, most varied activities and easiest access to these activities, and favorable crowds in comparison to Acadia and GSMNP areas.

Portland is a great food town, and while I haven't been to Bar Harbor, I know people who like to visit there regularly, and Bath and Georgetown/Five Islands area were great when we spent a week or so there. Beautiful weather, usually not too hot even in the summer, and great food.

Attachments

• 2012-06-16 16.48.46.jpg
    2012-06-16 16.48.46.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 2012-06-17 19.13.50.jpg
    2012-06-17 19.13.50.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 2012-06-18 15.57.42.jpg
    2012-06-18 15.57.42.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 33
I've been to all of them. Full endorsement of Sedona. No vote on Niagra Falls. Approve Smokies, would confirm April foliage and weather for either time. Pass on Bangor but suggest Bar Harbor/Acadia NP.

We took a trip to Sedona and loved it. The hot air ballooning was fantastic. I have attached our trip story to give you some ideas.
+1 for Pink Jeep tour.

Attachments

• Sunrise Over Sedona2008.pdf
    653 KB · Views: 12
I have done all of them except for the smoky mountains. I would choose Bar Harbor or Sedona.

Can you get non stops from your Iowa location for PHX? Then I would do Sedona hands down. On a 4 nite trip I look for non-stops as much as possible.

Now keeping in mind all the activities you enjoy I'd seriously consider Vegas in April. You're within 3 hours of Springdale entrance to Zion. We've done this and the best part is its so easy to stage your last night on the Strip and eliminate the hassle of driving to catch a flight.. Sedona around an 1hr45 from PHX add a buffer for driving hassles returning rental and checking in a it's a minimum of five hours..

Vegas ...Enjoy last night on the Strip get a good breakfast and the airport is right there.

Can you get non stops from your Iowa location for PHX? Then I would do Sedona hands down. On a 4 nite trip I look for non-stops as much as possible.

Now keeping in mind all the activities you enjoy I'd seriously consider Vegas in April. You're within 3 hours of Springdale entrance to Zion. We've done this and the best part is its so easy to stage your last night on the Strip and eliminate the hassle of driving to catch a flight.. Sedona around an 1hr45 from PHX add a buffer for driving hassles returning rental and checking in a it's a minimum of five hours..

Vegas ...Enjoy last night on the Strip get a good breakfast and the airport is right there.

Yes, Phoenix is one of the few non stop flights we can get, so that is a big plus. I've done Vegas many time and love it, but I would like to someplace new. Thanks for the info.

Portland is a great food town, and while I haven't been to Bar Harbor, I know people who like to visit there regularly, and Bath and Georgetown/Five Islands area were great when we spent a week or so there. Beautiful weather, usually not too hot even in the summer, and great food.

Love the pics, thanks so much!

I've been to all of them. Full endorsement of Sedona. No vote on Niagra Falls. Approve Smokies, would confirm April foliage and weather for either time. Pass on Bangor but suggest Bar Harbor/Acadia NP.

I would actually like to do all of these, except Niagra.....I think it might be out and I have been there once. One of the ladies was interested in Niagra, but looks like we have better options in the other places.

Yes, Phoenix is one of these few non stop flights we can get, so that is a big plus. I've done Vegas many time and love it, but I would like to someplace new. Thanks for the info.

For sure Vegas would be a jumping off point..We find from our location PHX and LAS are excellent for charter and commercial non stops. ..it makes trips so much easier. ..it's also a group decision as to how much driving time works for a 4 day adventure...u need time to relax tooo

Thanks for the helpful input, we decided on Sedona. Just need to pin down our dates and direct flights in April. For sure we want to book a Pink Jeep tour. I have never vacationed in Arizona so I am very excited to go!

If visiting Niagara Falls, one should go downstream to visit Niagara-on-the-Falls on the Canadian side, and Four-Mile-Creek Park on the US side. There are viewpoints along the way.

And drive to Buffalo to have chicken wings at Anchor Bar, the birthplace of the Buffalo wings.

If staying in Sedona, one can make day trips to Flagstaff (downtown, Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater), Prescott (downtown of former AZ State Capital), with Jerome on the way to Prescott.

If going to the Grand Canyon, a 1-night stay in Flagstaff will break up the drive to make it more enjoyable. A 1-night stay in Williams is also OK, as it is on the old Route 66. Or do both Flagstaff and Williams on the going and returning legs.

Last edited:
I am working on a girls trip for 2023. Four retirees, we all used to work together. Everyone is pretty active, walk, bike, easy hiking. Everyone likes to eat, shop, sightsee, enjoy nature and visit. We are located in the central Iowa area.

1. Sedona in April. We would fly into Phoenix, rent a car, and probably stay in an Airbnb. Weather looks nice flight prices not bad. I have never been here.

2. Niagra Falls area in late August, would probably stay in hotels and find some other things to do in the area. I have been here once so have somewhat of a feel for what to expect.

3. Smoky Mountain area, fly into Knoxville, TN April or early September. Never been here.

4. Bangor, Maine in late August early September. This looks a little harder to get to and flights are pricier. I have always wanted to go here.

Does anyone have any input or opinions to share on these trip ideas. I would appreciate it! Thank you in advance.

We have been to all of these.

1. Sedona is fabulous (but can be crowded). There is some good hiking, sightseeing, people-watching, shops. A bit of everything. And depending on timing there are lots of things to do nearby as others have noted. Grand Canyon is probably the most amazing (recommend especially if you want to do a bit of hiking, not necessarily long ones). Flagstaff is a great little town. And depending on how much ground you want to cover there are some ancient cliff dwellings nearby, Meteor Crater in Winslow (where you can also go to Standin on the Corner park, interesting perhaps for fans of the Eagles) and much more. Many possibilities.

2. Niagara is great. Been there twice. Spectacular for sure. Canadian side better, and if you drive up to Niagara-on-the-Lake you will feel like you are on the set of a Hallmark movie, with good reason. Could do a quicker trip here.

3. Smoky Mountains-really pretty area, I think that may be the most visited national park. Can get crowded. Lots of great hikes and sites. My great grands had a homestead there in the park so have visited a lot. Can be trafficy and nearby towns touristy (Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge (Dollywood) come to mind)). Might be good depending on what you like.

4. Bangor Maine- I assume you mean visiting Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor. Very scenic and a bit more isolated than the Smokies, plus you have that rugged shoreline. It is an eye feast as all your options are but for me it would be a shorter and less varied trip than say Smokies or Sedona. Also less crowded depending time of year.

Wherever you go it sounds like a lot of fun!

Edited to Add: I now see you have chosen Sedona. Great choice.

Last edited:
I previously went to Sedona with girlfriends. Make sure the airbnb has a hot tub!!! So many good chats in the hot tub!

Have fun!

I am revisiting this thread as our trip is set for April 11. We decided to stay in Flagstaff and do a day trip down to Sedona. I’ve been surprised at all of the snow recently in both places but hopefully it will be melted by mid April. I get enough snow here in Iowa.

I have collected ideas from this thread and so I have my friends. We are definitely going to try to go to the Grand Canyon.

Back
Top Bottom