Dow 30,000

Ho hum. Just another day of Mr. Market's antics. I wonder what he will do tomorrow?

Probably we too are at a new high or very close. We'll look when we always do, around year end, and make any necessary decisions then. Some years we even decide to make a trade or two.

Hot dog!

:dance: :clap: :dance: Yesterday was another one of my all time high days, so it sounds like today might be another.

I hope it closes over 30,000 too. To me, it doesn't count if it's just temporary during the day.

Mind if I do the happy dance with you?

:dance: :clap: :dance:

New all-time highs (like most everyone else here). DW and I will probably be less than $20k from a major milestone by the time the market closes today.

OK you jinxes!

Guess not, eh?

I think this is yet another great illustration that we are in uncharted territory in regards to what the market is going to do. Many talking heads seem to think that the "Robinhood" investors are to blame (can there be blame, though?).

I do wonder why it seems like so few people are taking in some gains while they are there to be had.

If anything, I believe the rhetoric of, "Well...if you look at history" or "Back in 1999" or "With the market in 2001" is all pretty pointless these days as there is no one alive that can figure out what might happen next. :blush:

What is everyone's favorite site for watching the stock market?

It was annoying when VG stopped posting real-time market levels on their "News" page. Like, what kind of "news" is it if I can't even see what the Dow and Nasdaq are doing?

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EDJI?p=^DJI

It was annoying when VG stopped posting real-time market levels on their "News" page. Like, what kind of "news" is it if I can't even see what the Dow and Nasdaq are doing?

I like the Thinkorswim platform from TDA. If you have an account there, the market is real time and there is a pretty robust news feed available as well. I have to admit that I enjoy watching/adjusting the multitude of charts they have.

Attachments

• tda.jpg
    tda.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Guess not, eh?

I think this is yet another great illustration that we are in uncharted territory in regards to what the market is going to do. Many talking heads seem to think that the "Robinhood" investors are to blame (can there be blame, though?).

I do wonder why it seems like so few people are taking in some gains while they are there to be had.

If anything, I believe the rhetoric of, "Well...if you look at history" or "Back in 1999" or "With the market in 2001" is all pretty pointless these days as there is no one alive that can figure out what might happen next. :blush:
Hey, that was back on 9/5/2020!

100,000 is coming... sooner than we all think (2037 is my wild guess). Though I'm sure we'll see 25,000 (or even 20,000) at least two more times prior. I also suppose we'll see the first trillionaire well before then too...

it's all just monopoly money, right?

Last edited:
I just use Yahoo finance, since I only have mutual funds and I don't make trades during the day. Perhaps once a year, if that. Knowing where the market closed the day before is good enough for my purposes, although Yahoo Finance does give the Dow at the present time as well.

Mind if I do the happy dance with you?

New all-time highs (like most everyone else here). DW and I will probably be less than $20k from a major milestone by the time the market closes today.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :dance: :clap: :dance:

At this rate, you may get to that milestone sooner than you think. :)

I just use Yahoo finance, since I only have mutual funds and I don't make trades during the day. Perhaps once a year, if that. Knowing where the market closed the day before is good enough for my purposes, although Yahoo Finance does give the Dow at the present time as well.

I almost entirely agree with you, and I also use Yahoo finance. (I remain dumbfounded that something from Yahoo! is still my best bet...)

However, one tidbit: On those extremely rare occasions where you want to know how the mutual fund "is doing" before the market close, you can often find a ETF that will mirror it. For example, here is a table of correspondences for Vanguard funds: https://support.wealthfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003480166-Which-Vanguard-mutual-funds-are-eligible-to-convert-to-ETFs-

I almost entirely agree with you, and I also use Yahoo finance. (I remain dumbfounded that something from Yahoo! is still my best bet...)

However, one tidbit: On those extremely rare occasions where you want to know how the mutual fund "is doing" before the market close, you can often find a ETF that will mirror it. For example, here is a table of correspondences for Vanguard funds: https://support.wealthfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003480166-Which-Vanguard-mutual-funds-are-eligible-to-convert-to-ETFs-

I know, I *should* care, really I should.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:2funny: :ROFLMAO: Ah, such is the life of a mostly index fund buy-and-hold'er.

And at last! The Dow closed at over 30,000 for the very first time ever, today. :dance: :clap:

Perfect timing. Just took a little off the table as DW informed me she wants a new Lexus rather than my choice Toyota. Can't argue since her Lexus is now 16 years old.

At a conservative 4.5% annual average return we'll be at 40,000 in 2027

Simply amazing, isn't it?

I started following the Dow every day in 1956 (give or take a year) when it was in the 300's and 400's. I was just a kid back then but copy-catting what I saw grownups doing, which included keeping track of the Dow. Anyway, 450 seemed pretty lofty when it got there, and I never in a million years would have thought it would ever break 500. But it did.

And look at it now. :D

I know, I *should* care, really I should....

I was NOT saying that you should care. On the contrary, I think the attitude you evinced in your earlier post was appropriate!

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :dance: :clap: :dance:

At this rate, you may get to that milestone sooner than you think. :)

We did, in fact, reach it at market close yesterday. Unbelievable. It looks like we'll dip below it again, as the market is down at the moment, but it was nice to reach it and enjoy it for a little while nonetheless.

Too bad it's the Dow index, I'd prefer the Wilshire 5000. :rolleyes:

I agree. I find it a little difficult to get excited about an index whose current value depends on whether (for example) Apple did a 4-for-1 split versus a 2-for-1 split earlier.

At this moment, DOW 30138 and climbing. The amazement never ceases. And glad we kept our AA.

At this moment, DOW 30138 and climbing. The amazement never ceases. And glad we kept our AA.

Simply amazing! And yesterday my portfolio + bank accounts passed a milestone that I never thought I would EVER reach. And of course, once again I have more than ever before in my entire life.

If this is just a dream, don't wake me up! :LOL:

Nice that the Dow is up there. But the only times that the Dow average (or stock price) is meaningful is when you buy and when you sell. It’s just a number.

Nice that the Dow is up there. But the only times that the Dow average (or stock price) is meaningful is when you buy and when you sell. It’s just a number.
Yes, and the cash in your wallet is only meaningful when you want to buy something at the store. It's just a number. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom