DRINKERs (Dual Retirement Income No-Kids Early Retirement)

Kroeran,

I think the Fed Gov't will slowly move away from the defined benefit pension providing bulk of retirement income for workers. Will take some time though, likewise for the Military retirement system. My Dad retired from the Navy, I guess I got my inclination to serve from being a Navy brat. I do remember when he got out at 19 yrs 6 months, him saying something to the effect that it made no sense to stay in and receive half-pay. That definitely had something to do with my getting out at the earliest possible time.

Jim

I would put this on the list of things that should happen, but never can happen.

The concentration of power and vested interest of the public service is too focussed and involved with the process, and the power of taxpayers is too diluted and removed.

I would put this on the list of things that should happen, but never can happen.

The concentration of power and vested interest of the public service is too focussed and involved with the process, and the power of taxpayers is too diluted and removed.

I would never say never, for US federal govt workers FERS was a step away from CSRS (or was it CRS)... Another thread discussed changing the Military Retirement system a bit. I think it will slowly evolve, but some kind of defined benefit pension will still be there, just much less generous than current plan.

I will agree that some will fight it kicking and screaming, but the bottom line is trillion dollar deficits will come home to roost eventually.

Jim

What power of the taxpayers do we have? Certainly not much above absolute zero..........:mad:

"when the wise shirk leadership, they are destined to be ruled by fools"

get involved, support (fiscal) conservative causes - and I don't mean the Hannity/Palin morons

I would never say never, for US federal govt workers FERS was a step away from CSRS (or was it CRS)... Another thread discussed changing the Military Retirement system a bit. I think it will slowly evolve, but some kind of defined benefit pension will still be there, just much less generous than current plan.

I will agree that some will fight it kicking and screaming, but the bottom line is trillion dollar deficits will come home to roost eventually.

Jim

when the world is coming to an end, there will be cockroaches and public servant defined benefits, and not much else

footnote...my comments are directed at unionized municipal, state and federal employees (of which I am one).

as far as real jobs like military, I don't think they are paid enough, especially if disabled/widowed.

"when the wise shirk leadership, they are destined to be ruled by fools"

get involved, support (fiscal) conservative causes - and I don't mean the Hannity/Palin morons

Been doing that for years.........and I vote in every election, local or otherwise. I have been tempted to run for School Board or Village Board, but have resisted the temptation........:whistle:

Been doing that for years.........and I vote in every election, local or otherwise. I have been tempted to run for School Board or Village Board, but have resisted the temptation........:whistle:

if not you, who?

when I pull the salary plug I plan on becoming a total PITA for the local powers at be (at least for the ones that are border-line crooks, which is about 90%).

the thing is, most politics is a tug of war between self interested lobbiests or job seekers or actual criminal types, and honest citizens engaged in the process, just looking out for the country, are very very rare. One honest person in the room asking ackward questions can make a difference and neutralize 10 sobs.

Not sure what your issue/concerns are but we have no kids, Retired, lat year @ 62 & 63, Niether have a Pension, but we have dual SS & satisfactory retirement savings! I guess this is probably pretty close to being Drinkers!

Be sure you know what kind of health you are in and how good your health insurance and costs are before you retire! If you're Canadians, your health care system is significantly different than ours so perhaps this is not a major concern. Here in the US, health care & cost is a major concern to everyone!

If you have your health & healthcare insurance costs under control...What other concerns do you have? well, other than enough $$ to live on, but that goes without saying as a obvious requirement.

We moved from our Victorian home that took us 25 years of patient restoration & downsized to a home 1/2 the size. We moved from the frozen tundra of Minnesota to the Sunny Southwest (Henderson, NV) & never looked back. If we could have done all of this 10 years earlier we would have, our only regret is that we couldn't.

As always, there are some very important key issues you have to deal with when deciding to retire, take each issue and work it through with pro's & con's until you are comfortable that your answer is true and accurate...Then make a final decision based on your analysis!

As I mentioned in another forum, just be sure if you intend to relocate that you have thoroughly checked out all of the data for that area, then do not buy a home, even if you can afford to, until you have lived in that area for several months to be sure you both really love it and enjoy your surroundings! Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom