Dryer malfunction

. . . Shake it to see if there are any broken parts rattling inside. (And to disorient any diehard chiggers.)

That reminds me of a joke I heard Phillis Diller tell. "So, our blender stopped working. My cheap husband, Fang, won't just go buy a new one, he says he can fix it. He opens it up and a big cockroach falls out. 'Well, there's your problem. The engineer died'."

Bah dum, bum!

Last edited:
If the rear rim of the drum is supported by rubber rollers, the rollers may be well-worn, too.

but I can't say I've seen a badly worn set if rollers from a Whirlpool yet. The rollers actually look more like tires than rollers.

Well, I got mine working and back together yesterday. All seems well.

It is a good thing that I noticed the worn 'Front Glide Kit' pieces before I ordered the new belt. When I removed them and compared them with the new ones, I could see that they were totally worn through the teflon(nylon?) strip, to the cork backing.

I'm positive that the extra drag from rubbing on the cork is what caused the belt to go bad. But, after 20 years of use from a family of 3-5 over the years, I guess I can't complain.

I'm amazed the washer keeps going with ZERO maintenance.

-ERD50

If it's a Maytag washer, a common problem is water leakage at the injector. It's up under the top on the back left side. There's a black rubber tube-like sleeve over a plastic piece that kind of ballons up when the washer is filling. Those things invariably go bad. You might notice water on the floor. It is easy to remove the front panel and check if it has been leaking. It's an easy, inexpensive repair.

Follow up to my clothes dryer problem - it was the timer. After FedEx lost, then found my shipment, the new timer arrived today. Took less than 2 minutes to install. Dryer now works great.

Thanks to all for your help.

Congrats!

It's now time for the motor to go out! :D

Follow up to my clothes dryer problem - it was the timer. After FedEx lost, then found my shipment, the new timer arrived today. Took less than 2 minutes to install. Dryer now works great.

Thanks to all for your help.

What a great ending to a perplexing problem!!! Thanks for the update.

Fun, huh?

Here is your haiku:

An old appliance
It breaks down in retirement
Rewarding experience

Back
Top Bottom