Earworms du jour

I worked in a drive in burger joint flipping burgers in the early 70’s my contemporaries would come in drop 25 cents and get 5 plays on the jukebox. Sometimes they would play the same song back to back to..... arrrgh! Out they would go and in would come the next group, you guessed it, same popular song or group of songs. To this day if I hear most on that music it’s stuck for a few hours. Sirius radio 70’s on 7 is banned it the car on trips!

I had a similar experience working at a B Dalton shopping mall bookstore around 1981. The mall had an indoor ice rink with a music soundtrack that consisted of about 10 songs. I don't want to think of the number of times I heard "Mr. Roboto" by Styx during my six months working there. That one is banished from my earworm rotation forever.

Love Tony Hicks with that adorable jabbot of material at his throat! Very natty.

Sometimes, after I go to Mass on Sunday, I get an earworm for one of the prayer/songs that will last til Wednesday. Don't know if it's right or wrong, but sinfully drives me up a wall. I can't wait til I die and hear all the angels in harmony......

I've had ABBA earworms for the last week or two. I cycle through "Take a Chance on Me", "Waterloo", "The Winner Takes it All" and "Knowing Me Knowing You". Sigh.

Since yesterday I have had this one running through my mind. Did somebody mention it on this thread? If not here, then maybe on another thread or other forum. I hadn't heard it in years until yesterday but when I read a mention of it, I went to youtube to listen to it. Guaranteed if you listen to it once you are stuck with it.

I think Mr_Graybeard nailed it with "Indiana Wants Me". I agree Gerry Rafferty's music sticks with you, but in a very pleasant way.

I find this one to be both a great haunting song that definitely stays in your head.

Last edited:
Sometimes, after I go to Mass on Sunday, I get an earworm for one of the prayer/songs that will last til Wednesday. Don't know if it's right or wrong, but sinfully drives me up a wall. I can't wait til I die and hear all the angels in harmony......

I'm not Catholic, but I think the Church has traditionally encouraged earworms -- requiring repetition of prayers as devotions, for instance. Gregorian chants also come to mind.

Not that the Catholic Church is unique in that practice. Eastern chants as meditative techniques ... the Protestant Doxology ...

Four days after Mardi Gras, I've still got a Mardi Gras song called Iko Iko in my head. If you ever lived in New Orleans this version of the song by the Dixie Cups will be quite an earworm; don't know if others know the song or not.

I only know this from Treme haha

Grab your things, I've come to take you home.

MacArthur Park won hands down, not even close.

I can believe this. I think there are a couple of components that work in its favor. One, it was popular, lots of airplay. Two, it doesn’t have a standardized verse/chorus layout. Each section leads to the next, without a perceived stopping point. It’s a looping effect.

Or maybe it’s just the fact that this is the song our marching band played during the Homecoming half-time show. Do you know how long it takes to go through all the court and the final crowning, etc.? A lot longer than one song. I think we played the same verse/chorus/verse thing about 25 times. This doesn’t count rehearsals...

Now I've gone and done it! I can't even listen to the first bar and it's in deep. I avoided posting the link before for fear it would get stuck. Alas, I should have just let it go, but no......

Last edited:
Seven Nation Army.... and I have not been near a sports venue for a couple of months...

I've had ABBA earworms for the last week or two. I cycle through "Take a Chance on Me", "Waterloo", "The Winner Takes it All" and "Knowing Me Knowing You". Sigh.

ABBA is definitely earworm worthy. A lot of 60's bubble gum songs can do that too like "Green Tambourine", "Sugar Sugar" and "Little Willy"

One whiff of any of those lays me low for days. Damn, I'm starting to hear Green Tambourine right now. . . . :(

I believe I had the Archies' "Sugar Sugar" earworm for several years running :(
Here's another great offender:
I have to get off this thread...

Last edited:
ABBA and The Bee Gees, disco music in general, gets stuck, it’ll come on the radio and I cringe. DW will see the cringe and immediately proclaim, “What?! We had fun!” We did, but my word at what cost! Now I have Dancing Queen on repeat. At least on this thread the music is replaced after each post.

Last edited:
DW just reminded me of this one.....the title of which we often echo:

Can't shake this one right now:

I watched the "Jesus Christ Superstar LIVE" performance last week...for me, it's the song "Could we start again please" ( Sara Bareilles) that I can't get out of my head.....

Which is odd because that song was not on the original soundtrack that I wore out in the early 1970s...but it WAS in the movie version in 1973....

I watched the "Jesus Christ Superstar LIVE" performance last week...for me, it's the song "Could we start again please" ( Sara Bareilles) that I can't get out of my head.....

Which is odd because that song was not on the original soundtrack that I wore out in the early 1970s...but it WAS in the movie version in 1973....

I watched as well, and have had the whole soundtrack rolling around in my head for a week now. Amazingly, 48 years later, I STILL remember most of the words!

Now, if I could only remember where I put the car keys this morning:facepalm:
(just kidding, at least THIS time)

CardsFan....just one more comment....I too know every word to the soundtrack, and I can hear the music in my head all week too....only when I now hear the music, my brain sees the movie version from 1973.

I've seen a LOT of musicals and "rock concert" type shows when I was young, but this is about the ONLY one that I can recall ALL the words to after 47 years....And people I've spoken to who watched last week said the same thing.

"West Side Story" is another one. Dialog AND musical numbers. It's another movie that when I see it on TeeVee today, I can't get some of those numbers out of my head either for weeks at a time....

I wonder why that is. We don't go over individual conversations word for word for days at a time, but for some reason, music evokes that response, and even then, it's only SOME music.

Back
Top Bottom