East of the Mississippi?

DW and I were talking about possibly moving this morning. There may be some changes in the job I have now that would be a good incentive to resign. They're making noises about rotating shift work and if that happens I'm gone. I had a hard time doing that when I was 40 and at nearly 60 I'm not doing it again. The only thing holding us to this area is the proximity of DW's family, which is important to her.

The areas discussed on this thread were my original target zone. One of the Carolinas, eastern Tennessee, possibly the Ozark lakes area of Missouri all sound terrific. But being that far from family makes seeing them difficult, and right now no one is more than four hours away.

Nothing wrong with those towns, and I suspect the heat and humidity wouldn't both me much after years of living in New Orleans. We thought about these towns but I would rather be in a larger town (closer to the size of Huntsville) that is also somewhat Mayberry-esque and laid back, and has less of the "zoom zoom Rocket City" atmosphere of Huntsville.

I think intangibles like atmosphere can be really crucial when looking for a retirement location. I can't stress too much how important I think it is to repeatedly visit a potential ER location and become familiar with it.

For example, how laid back a town is does not constitute much of a difference between towns, but for this or whatever reasons we just didn't feel quite as comfortable in Huntsville (#2 on our list) as in Springfield, Missouri (#1 for us!). Springfield has just the right amount of Mayberry-like characteristics, plus we like the town layout a lot better than that of Huntsville, and it just feels like home to us. So, we have made our decision and plan to move to Missouri, probably sometime in 2010-2011. But thanks!

Huntsville is indeed a surprising mix of slow-paced Southern town and hectic city. That's in fact what attracted us to the area. But it sounds like you found your own slice of paradise in Missouri, that's great!

:LOL: Kind of reminded me of traveling out West. Someone said: look there over by that tree. I said: What tree? That's not a tree, that's a bush. :LOL:
I'm posting very early in the morning folks. Sure hope the "RasPutin" (new beverage for me) has worn off. If not I'll be using that excuse for my hill billy ignorance, poor penmanship/grammar & spelling for a while, thank you very much. :greetings10:
Steve

I got to get me one of those high gravity beers!
trink13.gif
Do you get them in grocery stores?

I got to get me one of those high gravity beers!
trink13.gif
Do you get them in grocery stores?

The only place I have found them so far is in package type stores. I think it takes a different license to sale it, than most grocery stores have. I've been told they (Grocery) are looking into it though. The beer is more expensive than regular. Some packages you only get 4 bottles for about $9 or $10 bucks. I'm told some brands are way more than that too. The high octane/gravity beer is new to our area. The legislators just passed a new law allowing them, if by chance your not one to keep up with that kind of junk. Alabama is 20 or so years behind everybody else (which is a good thing in most cases) as you well know. So higher alcohol content beer will not be news to most on the forum but it is to me. For example "Old RasPutin" is about 9%, some brands go on up in content from there. I'm just learning what's out there but so are the stores selling it. I'm supposed to be getting a variety pack with all different kinds to try out soon. Oh, a few places in B'ham. are starting to have it "On Tap".
Disclosure: I have zero stock in this adventure, but maybe I should buy some.
Steve

The only place I have found them so far is in package type stores. I think it takes a different license to sale it, than most grocery stores have. I've been told they (Grocery) are looking into it though. The beer is more expensive than regular. Some packages you only get 4 bottles for about $9 or $10 bucks. I'm told some brands are way more than that too. The high octane/gravity beer is new to our area. The legislators just passed a new law allowing them, if by chance your not one to keep up with that kind of junk. Alabama is 20 or so years behind everybody else (which is a good thing in most cases) as you well know. So higher alcohol content beer will not be news to most on the forum but it is to me. For example "Old RasPutin" is about 9%, some brands go on up in content from there. I'm just learning what's out there but so are the stores selling it. I'm supposed to be getting a variety pack with all different kinds to try out soon. Oh, a few places in B'ham. are starting to have it "On Tap".
Disclosure: I have zero stock in this adventure, but maybe I should buy some.
Steve

I had heard something on the news a few weeks ago about allowing beers with high alcohol contents to be sold in AL but I was not sure whether the law had been enacted or not. Hum, I wonder how many of those beers it takes to trigger a DUI? Probably best to consume at home...:)

Ah, Goonie, but your present location has always sounded so peaceful and nice! Nice people, essentially crime free, and inexpensive, as I recall. But then Chattanooga has its own appeal as well. :)

Yeah, I pretty much like it right here where I am, and don't plan to leave anytime soon...or at all for that matter! Besides, I don't really think that I could part with the old homestead anyway...been here pretty much forever, and plan to stay here 'til they shovel dirt in my face, and use me to fertilize the daisies! :flowers:!

Eastern Tennesee is hard to beat. I live in Western Virginia near the Blue Ridge Mountains. Really beautiful, lots of hiking, reasonable housing. Our 15 year old 2000 sq ft house costs us $100/month (insurance and taxes). In New York State, real estate taxes are 6 times higher (mother and mother-in-law live there).

Well - after Portland, Seattle, Denver, Huntsville, New Orleans - greater Kansas City(4 yrs and counting) kinda grows on one - Missouri side, on a hill above the high water mark.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Uncle Mick,
The best I can tell, you and your retirement funds have been treading water for years.
I know a little water doesn't freak you out :D
Steve

Back
Top Bottom