Ecuador or Bust

Most of the Phils actually. Filipinos are now the largest Asian ethnic group in the U.S.. Getting over here is the goal of millions. The southern island of Mindanao's western half has a large muslim population and there are some extremist groups there who've murdered Americans. Things flare up there from time to time but the military keeps a tight rein on it. The central islands, collectively called the Visayas, are where most expats live, especially in and around Cebu. The northern 3rd of the Phils are where most of the typhoons hit. The Visayas not so much, and rarely in the south. Physical violence against expats is pretty rare outside of that muslim area I mentioned but theft is epidemic. An exception that has gotten some expats hurt is telling a woman you'll marry her in order to get physical with her. If you then back out her male relatives will come after you for dishonoring her. A very serious thing there. The islands themselves are very beautiful but trash is everywhere. There are almost 100 million people living in a land area a little larger than Arizona. It's not all bad. Filipinos love malls, and several of the world's largest malls are in the Philippines. Seafood is excellent although alot of expats can't stand the way alot of it is prepared. I've read posts of guys who said they never knew what it's like to be a rock star until they walked thru a mall in the Philippines. As crazy as it sounds, you will constantly be approached by attractive young women who hope you will be interested in them. Even men will tell you they have a sister or niece they'd like you to meet. It's a completely different world there. Regards, Wade

Doesn't this make you feel a little like a great big English speaking ATM? Why else might these lovely women be interested in you, other than their poverty and your (relative) wealth?

Ha

Doesn't this make you feel a little like a great big English speaking ATM? Why else might these lovely women be interested in you, other than their poverty and your (relative) wealth?

Ha

From our cultural perspective it's easy to be cynical about their motives. But in their culture older men marry younger women all the time. Filipinas tend to be pragmatic about marriage. For most the first priority is to find a husband who can take care of them, love will come later. When you have a 70% poverty rate you do what you have to. Also divorce is illegal in the Philippines. You can get an annulment if you can afford several thousand dollars, which only the rich can. So Filipinas go into marriage believing it's for life. And they are taught to take care of their husbands. They also want to help their family out, especially their parents. So most expats who marry Filipinas send her parents $50 to $100 a month to help them and make her happy. Of course some folks try to take advantage. And some expats say their in-laws are too proud to ask for help. But most I've seen say generally $50 to $100 a month. And for many Filipinas the money a foreigner has represents a life they could never have marrying a Filipino. So they want to make you happy and try very hard. Compare that with true love, and the high divorce rates, of the West.

From our cultural perspective it's easy to be cynical about their motives. But in their culture older men marry younger women all the time. Filipinas tend to be pragmatic about marriage. For most the first priority is to find a husband who can take care of them, love will come later. When you have a 70% poverty rate you do what you have to. Also divorce is illegal in the Philippines. You can get an annulment if you can afford several thousand dollars, which only the rich can. So Filipinas go into marriage believing it's for life. And they are taught to take care of their husbands. They also want to help their family out, especially their parents. So most expats who marry Filipinas send her parents $50 to $100 a month to help them and make her happy. Of course some folks try to take advantage. And some expats say their in-laws are too proud to ask for help. But most I've seen say generally $50 to $100 a month. And for many Filipinas the money a foreigner has represents a life they could never have marrying a Filipino. So they want to make you happy and try very hard. Compare that with true love, and the high divorce rates, of the West.

I understand what you are saying. And believe me, I am no fan of love and marriage US style.

I sincerly wish you the best.

Ha

I definitely looked at the Philippines...And the food is lousy.

I read most of what you said about the Philippines, and this is the part with which I disagree. :(

The country has a lot of problems, for sure, but the people are hospitable...and the food is great! Of course, I grew up there, so that accounts for my taste. :)

Divorce is illegal but many established men have "queridas"--girlfriends on the side--or if they are well-to-do, a "number two", usually someone for whom they have set up a separate household and/or with whom they have children. Double standards apply so that women who have affairs are more stigmatized than double-crossing men.

I wonder if this is a legacy of the macho culture of Spain. I sadly lack much historical knowledge, but I've read an essay sometime that when Spain came, she put Filipino women up on a pedestal like the Virgin Mary, so that women became repressed and were ostracized if they were as "wild and free" as they were before the conquerors came.

Comments about the desirability of fair skin ring true. I think it's because the ruling classes in the Spanish times, i.e., the Spaniards or Spanish mestizos, had fair skin, so white skin is associated with power, status, and just beauty due to rarity.

Anyway, just rambling here...

Good luck with your plans!

Last edited:
Divorce is illegal but many men have "queridas"--girlfriends on the side--or a "number two", usually someone for whom they have set up separate households and with whom they have children. Double standards apply so that women who have affairs are more stigmatized than double-crossing men. <snip>

I wonder if this is a legacy of the macho culture of Spain.

LOL! Very likely! I remember when I worked in SA being invited to dinner by some young businessman. His totally beautiful charming wife and two or three well behaved kids would be there. I am enjoying myself, getting to interact with an upscale educated woman once more. But pretty soon there would be an elbow into my ribs.

"Haa-aaa-aaa, vamos a bailar! Vamos a las muchachas!"

So we say goodbye to this totally charming MILF, and spend the rest of the evening with overly made up "girlfriends" who look like drugged escapees from Dancing With The Stars.

I don't know how any North American or northern European with Euro- American attitudes toward women could really like this type of environment for long.

ha

I don't know how any North American or northern European with Euro- American attitudes toward women could really like this type of environment for long.

I spent the first 21 years of my life in the Philippines, but I would not want to go out with a traditional Filipino man. I'd be expected to care for him even if we had maids--like make sure his clothes are ready for him or ironed properly, to be sweet and agree with him, to be pious and faithful to the church, to not arouse his jealousy against my male co-workers, to accept his "extra-curricular" activities...

When I was growing up, I had girl classmates who had lots of problems dealing with their dads' affairs when they first found out about the affairs.

Maybe the younger generation of educated Filipinas have it better now with more freedom and moving toward equality...

Almost There, I moved to Indonesia when I was 54 - one island east of Bali called Lombok. I tried living in Mexico for a while but the people and culture simply did not fit my liking. Too dirty, too rude, too macho.

Indonesia is a lot like the Philippines with the pretty young girls looking for any white skin husband - I find them really beautiful. It really is a great place for any single guy who wants a pretty wife to sleep with and live with until he dies.

The weather is perfect - no hurricanes,etc. I wear a tee shirt and shorts every day of the year. I have a air conditioner in the bedroom, in case it gets humid. The scenery is amazing - waterfalls, mountains, terraced rice paddies, snorkling, surfing, horse back riding. A motorbike is all you need for transportation.

The visa stuff is a lot more difficult than Equador. Every year I must go through corrupt officials to get the paperwork.

I live very comfortably on $3000 per month, but other guys live on half that amount. Just need to cut out some of the frills. A lot of the things said here are really true - you need a lay back personality and don't plan on living a US lifestyle. But I wouldn't trade it for the world and it was the best decision I ever made.

Go for it - you sound like the kind of guy that will really enjoy it.

Re: "Panama is over-run with retirees and expensive"

Been retired here now for one year. So far I havn't felt it "over-run" nor expensive. My husband and I are living the life of Riley for $1200.00/month. Beautiful home & 4X4 2008 Toyota pick-up paid for.....and a neat lil Soc Sec check and a tad of pension ($275.00.mo) pay for it all. The rest? (that stashed away in retirement accounts) is gravey we don't need right now. Life's GOOD!

Sold the house and all we owned took off. Panama has a SUPER visa program. Not only do we get visa for life on verification of retirement assets (SocSec) but we get a discount on damn near everything with our retirement visa cards...medical, dental, airfafre, fast foods, restaurants, hotels.

Might better look into Panama too!!!!

Just to clarify here....
$1500/mo total puts us on easy street retired early in the Rep of Panama

Last edited:
I also have been living in Panama for the past 4 years. Many retired couples do live on $1500 per month or less....especially in the interior (outside of Panama city). The cost of living can be very low do the fact that all new construction homes, condos, apts..... get a 20 year tax exoneration. Many mountain areas never need AC or heating, and the cost of groceries and restaurants is lower...especially if you eat allot of whole foods...fruit, veggies, fresh fish.
So budget wise...... if you take out all your property taxes, heating/cooling costs, and have a much lower food bill you can begin to see the savings. Also movie tickets are $3 and a case of 24 bottled beers is $8....its like stepping back in time 25 years. Plus all the other benefits listed above for Retirement Visas. Lots of cinnamon skinned beauties too. Great surf in Panama and Costa Rica. Challenging and fun learning Spanish.

There are some warts though as you might imagine...potholed roads, mad max style driving, not allot of cultural activities, trash and poverty in some areas...

For me the positives outweigh the negatives.

Surf

Why do we have to choose?

Can't we have both?

Attachments

• ec-map-big.jpg
    ec-map-big.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Bowen-BustMystique.jpg
    Bowen-BustMystique.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 5
Going to PI soon to spend time with GF. Owned house in Thailand and sold recently
when I got tired of the increasing crime and attitude of locals and bottom of the barrel foreigners the place attracts. Have Condo in Costa Rica as a HIDE AWAY,
ready to sell it also. Every third foreigner that lives in many of these places are
real estate salesmen with western price in mind and plenty are conmen right out. Being that I have not lived in USA for but 5 of last 30 some years I can adapt ok to most to include muslim life styles.
There is pot holes in about everthing and place jsy some more unsafe or annoying as others. I can live and play golf, go boating just as cheap here on east coast of Florida if not cheaper than in most of these
places mentioned in this forum. It all comes down to what standards you percieve as important enough to expect as common living qualities. If your biggest concern is cost of living you may have a rude awakening soon enough. Don't work your whole life so you can try to just get by in a 2nd or 3rd world country with the riff raft that barely worked at all and now on some scam of a pension. You most likely would not want to live around them here but there your stuck with them.
Not sure if proper to place this here but if anyone is interested in Jaco Beach Costa Rica where they will hold world surfing championships next year I'll let my place go
for much less than what the guy is selling for now and a bit less than what I have in it. Condominums Suenos del Paraiso - Jaco, Costa Rica
Enjoy life and be safe!

You definitely must want a life style change first - and then consider living overseas. Second, if you decide to go to an area, try living there for a while first... life looks a lot different as a tourist and as an expat. Also, if the place is popular with Americans, it probably is paradise lost.

Having said that, if you want to live with a lot less hassles from taxes to government b.s. to keeping up with the Jones, then overseas living has a lot going for it. If I do not want to do something, I don't do it - social obligations are zero.

Plus, you certainly cannot get a maid or a young wife in East Florida - or a house for $25,000 - mine has a view of the ocean. I live in a third world country (Indonesia) and love every minute, but it fits my style - the people are happy and always friendly.

I don't need broadband internet, and I survive the potholes. I don't consider that living in the slums, nor do I thing the people I know riff raff. I have more than enough money to retire anywhere I want, but I choose to live in Indonesia. Not because it is much cheaper (which it is), but because I like it here.

Hobo
Hope your not the same guy ( american that use to own MJE Co. in Thailand
( James W. C.).
Seems he ran off to Indonesia owing alot of people and has warrants for his and his
wives arrest in Thailand. He sounds similar to your situation and ran off to Indonesia
also. Indonesia may be fine to you but the fact that many have had quite well sheltered western style living since born ( not rich style either) can be very hard to adapt. GOVERNMENT JOBS IN MANY OF THESE PLACES are treated like private businesses to steal/bribe anyone and everyone. Euro trash to include Australians
are no better than U.S riff raft and much of the time have the same problems, which most hate where they come from. Sure wish the would of had some time growing up on a rice field for a few decades like many of the countries they seem to think is paradise now with no chance of education or careers.
As I have had a long term foundation here I find it hard to spend $1K a month and
Chasing women around for enjoyment is long past my present situation and can be
done quite easily here or a couple hundred $ plane ticket. Well have to go now golf
with friends today about 10 minute drive 10 miles away, try that in third world traffic.

No, I'm not running from anybody - but this is a great place to hide if you don't want to be found.

You are right, some expats from foreign countries can be irritating, just like some of the locals. In a way, living in a country which allows in so many people from so many other countries makes life much more interesting. It makes me feel like I am part of the whole world.

Its all a matter of preference. You can live to play golf, I live to be surrounded by beautiful girls. Your hobby probably costs the same as mine. As you said, its all what standards you perceive as important enough for a suitable quality of life. I wouldn't live in shack in any country. But, for me, I'll gladly trade the golf course, the taxes, the cost of owning and operating a car, and a lot of government intrusion that I are common in the US for the freedom and cheap cost of living I can find in Indonesia.

Now please excuse me while I drink my fruit smoothie that my maid just served me at my computer.

I wouldn't live in shack in any country. But, for me, I'll gladly trade the golf course, the taxes, the cost of owning and operating a car, and a lot of government intrusion that I are common in the US for the freedom and cheap cost of living I can find in Indonesia.

Now please excuse me while I drink my fruit smoothie that my maid just served me at my computer.

You do make it sound very appealing.

Ha

for $10 you can be found and for a bit more you can be locked up, deported or worse.
Life as an ATM is interesting either way I guess, yeah that is paradise.
Having someone clean-up after myself or making me drinks is more of an intrusion
to me. We all have our quirks in life and the $18 I paid for having the pleasure of
my friends 73 yo mother kick my butt on the pristine golf course yesterday was a part of it.
Sorry no caddy but I did finish the game with the same ball I started with.
Lifes grand pleasure are much appreciated and thank whomever for affording me
the paradise I was born into. I'll cherish the paradise I have before I condem it and look to be the ATM in another. I am sure these paradises are handing out benefits like we have so we can prance off to another when we don't agree with gov policy.
Enjoy and be thankful for the paradise that affords you such things in life, do it graciously in fact. Have a nice day in the land of the most population of muslims
in the world. I think it has been a few months since the last christian beheading
but then what did we expect for paradise.. You gotta love it and let the good times roll....
http://www.harrythehorse.com/

girlphoto.html
yea, sometimes it hard to take. I think she loves me for my fancy kitchen :p

girlphoto.html

Attachments

• IU kitchen.jpg
    IU kitchen.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 23
Hobo...please continue to add info about you experience...I have never done anything remotely like you have done...but am interested in learning about it.
bd

Maybe a bit hard on Indonesia and I have ran into a few people that swear by it, alot
of oil workers in the region make it there home base. As Hobo has mentioned I
was also it is told it is very cheap for many things and reasons.
Most of these places can be very trying at times if not down right irratating
to the core.
Ecuador was on my list of places also to look into temp living. No pension and
95% invested in different assets but mostly stock market. One of my hedge funds
is 85% cash and was actually up on 6 Oct 08 and only down 2% for 08.

Here is a site I use to read for info on South America, think they request donations and do a monthly letter. They have club houses ran by volunteers and some cheap hostels or hotel information from what I remember. I never joined their membership but did for some reason get the monthly goings on, maybe it was free. Where ever a person decides to reside can vary for many reasons, doing it because of budget limits can be very rough and total distraught. Have a great day and enjoy all worlds
South American Explorers Destinations

For the single males (mainly) has info on several asian destinations Thai360 - Thailand Nightlife - Thai360 - Powered by FusionBB

Of course thaivisa.com is a great site for info on Thailand and near by countries Cambodia, Malaysia and maybe a few others .
There was also a message board on Indonesia maybe under Batam, Indonesia.

Be careful as many of these places do not follow current laws and we are looked at as nothing more than walking ATM's. Local law enforcement will try to get money from you for no reason, just a common shake down specially if you drive.

Maybe a bit hard on Indonesia and I have ran into a few people that swear by it, alot
of oil workers in the region make it there home base. As Hobo has mentioned I
was also it is told it is very cheap for many things and reasons.
Most of these places can be very trying at times if not down right irratating
to the core.

There was also a message board on Indonesia maybe under Batam, Indonesia.

Be careful as many of these places do not follow current laws and we are looked at as nothing more than walking ATM's. Local law enforcement will try to get money from you for no reason, just a common shake down specially if you drive.

I think every foreign country has its problems - everything is a trade-off. I think one of the big problems is a lack of understanding about money. Many people, including the girl in the picture, is accustomed to living on less than $2 per day. Meanwhile everything is a cash economy, so most foreigners walk around with $50 in their wallet - just walking around money. Some people are very honest; but you can understand the temptation other people have to steal or over-charge you.

It takes a little time and some painful experiences until you learn how to be more careful. The police will stop you at a routine road block just to check everyone's papers. And yes, if you drive without a driver's license, there is a good chance the police will give you a lecture. The only difference is in Indonesia you can pay the cop $20 and be on your way. If you drive without a license in the US, you are in really big trouble.

I have never played Russian roulette with the police - and have never been stopped just for a random shake down. But just today, my internet was not working - so I went to the internet provider to find out the problem. It turns out I paid $30 for my monthly service to a guy and he just pocketed the money. No receipt (stupid me), and the service was turned off. The guy I paid money to recently quit so I had no choice but to pay again.

Those are the kind of irritations that crop up. Fortunately it is not often, and most of the time it involves small amounts of money. On the way home, I stopped at a local street vendor and bought some mixed rice dish with vegetables and a local variation of all-beef shish kebob. I bought enough food to feed 4 adults for less than $5.

In the end, the cheap prices far outweigh the scams. But some foreigners just cannot handle the random cases of dishonesty... So you hear stories all the time about problems.

I think, as a rule, the further away you live from large pockets of expats, such as parts of Costa Rica and Bali, the cheaper things become and the more local benefits that you can find - but at the same time you will bump into cultural problems more often.

I pay the girls in the photo $20 per month each to be a live-in maid. She will stay a virgin until she marries. I must go to one of the tourist hotels if I want to get a "wife for the night". Anyway, she cooks, cleans, and helps take care of my 3 year-old-son (who was born when I was age 59 :D) from a previous marriage to another local girl. The divorce cost me $300 to settle - and if I wanted to get married again that would cost me $300. My son has a US passport and will get my future social security payments until he is age 18 (21 if he is in college) - so will a future wife

It may not be perfect but, as Randy Newman sings, "My life is good."

Back
Top Bottom