Effects of Aging?

Aging

Well, you know how it is on the internet. Everybody runs a marathon every day, has a BMI under 25, has $10,000,000 to live on, and looks like a movie star, right?

And everyone on the internet says that they went to all bonds in early 2007, and then got back in to 100% stocks in March 2009 !

And everyone on the internet says that they went to all bonds in early 2007, and then got back in to 100% stocks in March 2009 !
My market timing system did it. Developed in 2009 and totally data mined it. :)

This is an eye opening thread for me.

For me, too. It has got me asking myself the questions, "What if I only have 10 good years left? What would I want to do with them? How many of those 10 years do I want to spend working?"

p.s. I've also been surprised to learn that W2R is an old guy with knee problems and not an attractive woman in her late 30s who reminds me of Deborah Norville.

Last edited:
I think this is similar to the "don't just accept that this is how it will be" comments. Gotta fight harder and harder as that roller coaster starts going faster and faster.

There is literature showing a relationship between negative expectations of aging (e.g., that I will become mentally slower, or that I will have physical ailments) and the actual results of aging -- .

I also think being around other old people who are always complaining and detailing their ailments is bad for a body. I suspect there is peer pressure involved - if you look "too good for your age," they will needle you about it.

I think this is similar to the "don't just accept that this is how it will be" comments. Gotta fight harder and harder as that roller coaster starts going faster and faster.

When I visit the Dr. my first line of questioning is "What can I do to solve/change this situation?". Although I'm certainly not alone, it appears that there are far, far, too many who first ask "What drugs/pills can you provide?"

Medication/operation should be a last resort not the primary option.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Very interesting and eye-opening comments!

Hey you're only 44.

Do you need readers? Have you lost your night vision yet? Cataracts? Probably not yet.

How many times do you get up at night for the bathroom? Don't worry it will change.

We've been talking about the changes that happen a little later. This poster is a youngster.

My vision is still excellent, and no nocturnal bathroom visits yet. On the flip-side, I already take a couple of meds, and have a family history of heart attacks, so while I physically feel fine today, I'm aware that that won't continue forever.

This thread should be subtitled "OMY: Another Perspective"

This was my primary motivation for starting the thread. Even if it's anecdotal, getting a rough feel for how many "active" years I might expect in retirement is helpful to my planning. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences!

Looking back, one of the biggest regrets I have is the ~ 25 years of eating poorly and not exercising enough. I started to take things seriously at 59 when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. If I had been paying attention years earlier that never would have happened.

No major health issues until I hit my 50's. In my 50's the wheels fell off - Melanoma removed, lymphoma cured, aortic aneurysm discovered and watched, tachycardia (very high heart rate episodes triggered by near max effort exercise) considering ablation. 56 now and retired almost two years. Despite all of this crap I am still very active and can do everything I want except going back to bike racing.

Life is good but I would happy with a few less dr appointments and more certainty about medical insurance for preexisting conditions.

I think that my husband and I serve as the best sell of early retirement. At age 63 my husband retired. He was beginning to have back problems and went to the doctor the week after he retired. The neurologist noticed other unrelated neurological problems and diagnosed him with Parkinson's disease. I worked little over a year after he retired and had a serious heart attack two weeks before my retirement day at age 62. I didn't know what was happening and attributed it to acid reflux, stayed up sick and in pain most of the night, and went to work the next day. A few months after I retired I found I couldn't walk a long distance without stopping to catch my breath. That year I had a triple bypass and stints. For us age 60 was a real beginning of health problems.

We are both blessed with good health ( we feel good ) we do all of our checkups follow the doctors orders . I take blood pressure medicine , have had a kidney removed at 55 . I still have kidney disease and a GFR of 40 to 50% . But we feel fine . I once asked a doctor how do you live to a long age . he told me that you get sick and go to the doctor and get under a doctors care. He asked me if I was going to do all my follow ups . Everyone together do your checkups , drink lots of water and try to do some exercise every day .

I used to be a volkswalker in my 40's and was the kid in the crowd. Most of the walkers were older. Now I'm their age and I couldn't even think of that now. We used to do two walks in a day. Walk then lunch then out on a YRE in the afternoon.
I did break a bone in my foot when I was 51 and that stopped me for a while but the rest of the decline is my own fault.

Reading this thread at age 69, can't decide if if I should be jealous of not being able to top the list of ailments, or be happy that I take no prescripction meds, my joints function without binding and pains. I had a few hiccups in health around age 50, fortunately I outgrew them.:D

Am happy to be able to figure skate three days a week, do workouts at least twice a week. I was never a figure of muscularity or of athleticsm. I alway was interested in maintaining flexibility agility. Still am. Seems it worked out well sofar.

There were many years when due to poor finances of my mother, and much later my own, only ate one small meal a day. Guess the early days of "caloric deprivation" before it became a fad actually was beneficial. Tine will tell.

Well, you know how it is on the internet. Everybody runs a marathon every day, has a BMI under 25, has $10,000,000 to live on, and looks like a movie star, right?

Hmm - I'm too digitally challenged to photo shop my selfie - unless I find somebody 'younger' to help me.

heh heh heh - :cool:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the impact of aging on sexual function (is ER.org supposed to be fun for the entire family, and thus we ignore this aspect of life? :LOL: ) I'm willing to go on record as stating that my libido and sexual function in my 50's are not what they were when I was in my 20's, and I'm fine with that. Of course, if I were partnered with a sexually demanding woman, she might be displeased with this situation. I'm not willing to make any medical interventions to 'fix' this problem that may increase my risk of future ill health, so this eliminates the most popular solutions, such as testosterone supplementation.

One of the things I've always wondered is how long-time couples deal with differing rates of decline in sexual interest and/or function. It seems like some rather tricky situations could emerge. Anyway, not (currently) my problem. :whistle:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the impact of aging on sexual function (is ER.org supposed to be fun for the entire family, and thus we ignore this aspect of life? :LOL: )

I will be honest - this is one incentive for me to retire early. This year I turn 59 and DW turns 60, but we still enjoy this aspect of our marriage and try to make it a priority. While we have slowed down since our newlywed days, a large portion of that has been due to the stresses of life. Frequency started to increase again when our nest emptied, and on vacations where stress is absent we are almost like our newlywed days. We are not anything special... just fortunate that we both have the same, enthusiastic view of physical intimacy with each other.

Right now no medical "assists" are required... but we don't know how long this will last for us. So our attitude is to take advantage of this blessing as long as we can. We both try to stay physically active, and this is definitely one thing that is part of my retirement plan. :)

Last edited:
I'm 54 and all is good so far...I'm still young but have always been fit and active. A few friends my age are slowing down, mostly it seems due to a lifetime of little or no exercise, poor diet, and gaining too much weight.

My only ailments so far are minor...acid reflux which need a Zantack a day or so, and the occasional mild gout attack. Family history is good, so I'm hoping to continue the trend.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the impact of aging on sexual function

Ha. I'm not surprised. With the exception of certain daytime TV talk shows nobody really likes talking about that stuff.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the impact of aging on sexual function (is ER.org supposed to be fun for the entire family, and thus we ignore this aspect of life? :LOL: ) I'm willing to go on record as stating that my libido and sexual function in my 50's are not what they were when I was in my 20's, and I'm fine with that.[...]

Could rename it ED.org...

This is one of the nice things about aging, afaic -- to have the hormones settle down, to not feel so driven by those needs anymore.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the impact of aging on sexual function (is ER.org supposed to be fun for the entire family, and thus we ignore this aspect of life? :LOL: ) I'm willing to go on record as stating that my libido and sexual function in my 50's are not what they were when I was in my 20's, and I'm fine with that.
One of the things I've always wondered is how long-time couples deal with differing rates of decline in sexual interest and/or function. It seems like some rather tricky situations could emerge. Anyway, not (currently) my problem. :whistle:

DH was 15 years older and that aspect of our relationship was fine until about 4 or 5 years ago- he was in his early 70s. The polycythemia gradually wore him out over the years so of course decreased libido was part of that. My drives weren't what they used to be either so I just accepted it; it was a blessed marriage otherwise.

DH is gone now. I turn 64 this week and hope that part of my life isn't over but it's way too early to think about a new relationship and too many pitfalls. If it happens, it happens.

Last edited:
We think about our health a lot. We are in very good shape now and we would like to carry that into FIRE and front end load our retirement with all the strenuous hikes and trips first. We'll save the river cruises for when we can't walk as well.

Back
Top Bottom