El Cheapo Camcorder

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Looks like CVS is selling, or maybe renting is a better word, a digital flash memory camcorder for $29. After taking your 20 minutes of video you bring it back in and pay a fee for the video to be extracted and the camera wiped so you can fill it again.

Of course, some guy has figured out how to hack it and extract the video for free...
http://www.maushammer.com/systems/cvscamcorder/flash.html

That sounds pretty neat. Better get one before they modify it to defeat the hacking.

Eh, some 11 year old will just defeat the defeats. A lot of these 'disposable' products get hacked. Unfortunately they arent that great to begin with, but they're good for a kids toy if nothing else.

There are a bunch of 'disposable' digital cameras intended to be brought back and 'developed' for a fee, that are then resold. Look around a little and you'll find quite a few hacks for them. Several only require that you solder a couple of wires onto one of the boards inside to hook them up to a plain old USB port. $10-20 for a halfway decent kids camera is a good deal.

Sure, not what the company intended when they made them, but I doubt hundreds of thousands of people are gonna go through the trouble...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom