Electronic equipment power savings

A Kill-A-Watt is a good investment. I still have a few more things to check, but most everything I have checked led me to not turn it off - the built in sleep mode worked very well. Printers, and other things typically draw a single watt or less in sleep mode. < $1/year for average rates. Really not worth the wear/tear or trouble.

-ERD50

I agree that a Kill-A-Watt is a very useful resource to have. Easy to use, may point towards opportunities to save, and not expensive. AND you can lend to friends to try at their places, no hassle!

Used around 352 kHw in Oct. The only thing I can do to lower my bill is to unplug the coffee maker after 5-10 min and heat my cup of coffee using the microwave when it needs it. Anything with a heating element is going to used a lot of wattage like the iron or hair curler and dryer. If those are on for a long time without being used, it's money in the garbage.

Anything with a heating element is going to used a lot of wattage like the iron or hair curler and dryer. If those are on for a long time without being used, it's money in the garbage.

Yes, but it's just not a lot of money. If an iron uses 1000 watts and it is left on, it will typically cycle on and off with a duty cycle of about 50%. At average electrical rates in the US, that amounts to about 7 cents of electricity for an hour. Even a clothes dryer, which uses a lot of juice, dries a load for about a quarter. Now, in Hawaii (or Alaska)--that's a different story.

Back
Top Bottom