Emotional Connection to the your house?

Our house was not new when we bought it. (In fact 250 years old).
I have always viewed our ownership as just being stewards until we hand it over to another family. There has been many families that have grown up here and I hope there will be many more

Same here, although ours is only 158 years old.

Re: The Adirondacks. Their proximity to NYC would have made them into a great summer tourist area, but the black flies, midges, and deer flies have made sure that people go elsewhere. I don't even know about the mosquitos there, but the other biting flying insects are bad enough.

Last edited:
Emotional connection? Yes, but not necessarily positive!

Like is said of boat owners, moving into my first house was one of the happiest days of my life. Well, now it's time to move on, and the day I unload the money pit will be one of the happiest days of my life.

To be fair, I had to live somewhere. It was a great place to live for 20 years, and cheaper and better than renting a comparable place in this area.

My mother has been her home for 56 years now. I am the oldest of 4 children and I joined the military and moved away at the age of 18. Every single childhood and family memory I have is in that house. My siblings all have families of their own now and have moved into their own homes and are raising their kids. They all stayed local but I am 1200 miles away. We periodically have conversations about the old neighborhood and the house we all grew up in. None of them want anything to do with the house when my mom passes, but I still feel an emotional connection to that place and it's probably due to the fact that I have been gone for so long. The house is willed to the 4 of us and my sibs keep telling me you can buy it from us if you really want it when mom passes. After 56 years the house is worth a small fortune compared to the $9000 my parents paid for it in 1959. When I take into consideration how much it will cost me to buy my sibs out, my emotional attachment doesn't seem so overwhelming! :)

Mike

Mike, this is so similar to my situation too. My mom has lived in that same house for almost 50 years, my 5 siblings all live within 10 miles of it. At 18, I moved out, then moved about 1200 miles away. I love going back to visit and have so many good memories. But I can't afford buying out the house from my siblings and managing the upkeep, only to spend a few weeks a year in it.

Mike, this is so similar to my situation too. My mom has lived in that same house for almost 50 years, my 5 siblings all live within 10 miles of it. At 18, I moved out, then moved about 1200 miles away. I love going back to visit and have so many good memories. But I can't afford buying out the house from my siblings and managing the upkeep, only to spend a few weeks a year in it.

I know what you mean. I'm afraid the house is going to get sold after my mother passes and that will be that. I have my children here near me and my first and only (so far) grandchild so I am happy. :) Good luck with your situation.

Mike

Freebird

Pick a place you have to fly into aboard a pontoon plane. Surely you can explain it to Mr B in such a way that he'd rather be your companion than someone else *grin*.
Now that would be something :LOL:

Mr B has a fear of flying. He was an ATC (air traffic controller) in his previous life, in the military and then the FAA. It left a huge impression on him.

It's ok because I've flown all over the domestic US, to Hawaii twice, and across the Atlantic twice in my younger years. My travel oats are already sown.

I may change my mind, but I don't feel like flying these days either. I can afford to, but the urge hasn't hit me.

Never say never...:cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom