Emotional Train Wreck...

I retired 9 years before my DW. I took over meal prep on weekdays and most of the housework. It was no big deal for me and DW loved coming home to a hot dinner after a challenging day at work. I loved all the freedom and actually worried more about the relationship when she retired, too. As it turned out, she took to retirement like a duck to water and we have reestablished our roles. I do stuff outside and she does stuff inside, unless help is needed on either end.

Everyone is different, but my advice would be to quit worrying so much and recognize that you have worked hard and earned this, so enjoy it without guilt. Aside from your spouse, it is no one's business. Make your spouse happy and all will be well.

Sounds like there should be no problems with wife. Go retire yourself!

Regarding friends, you'd hope that true friends would be glad for you; however, there may well be some unspoken envy or resentment as well. But fibbing about it may cause even more hard feelings later if they discover the truth. Then they may wonder why you weren't upfront. Did you not trust them to react in a civilized manner? Did you think they'd hit you up for money? Honesty is probably a better way to go.

Is OK to feel it. It's also OK to resist it.

You’re in your 50s and you’re worried about what other ppl think?

Seriously?

In OP's defense, this is a normal part of being human. Throughout our lives, we will always feel a natural inclination to seek the approval of others.

I'm not saying this is conducive to optimum decisions. Not "keeping up with the Joneses" is likely a crucial factor in many people reaching R at all, to say nothing of E-R.

But as social animals, peer pressure is always gonna be there. Grit your teeth and fight it.

Back
Top Bottom