ER poll (for us wannabes too)

What did ER mean to you or what does it mean to you?

• Freedom from job/boss

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Freedom to lead a more meaningful life

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Freedom to spend more time with family or friends

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Freedom to travel

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Just freedom in itself (all of the above)

Votes: 77 84.6%

• Total voters
I realized early on that, if I were not financially dependent upon my job, I could pursue so much more than I can with dependence, even if I were simply doing that same job.

To me, it's knowing that everyday is a "new" day with endless possibilites.

I'm not yet FIREd.
But it means I will be able to quit working when I want to and to be able to do a fair amount of traveling.
Right now I would be able to stay home all of the time, but what fun is that?

Just freedom to do whatever the hell you want tops the list at 81%

I thought a lot along the lines of buying myself out of prison, paying off my indentured servitude or other things along those lines during the accumulation years. THe challenge now is to make full use of the opportunity I've created, and not squander this incredible opportunity in some kind of inertia or torpor.

Although admittedly it may look like I'm just sitting around the house all day doing chores, errands, and the like, I like to think I am quietly working on the deep stuff and will emerge from my chrysalis at some future point into a pretty interesting new chapter in my life.

Don't think that just getting the financial part of ER to work gets you all the way home. The psychological stuff and your evolution into a post-work person takes time and attention, too.

Almost 5 years into ER, I am close to getting my first sculpture commission (discovered this interest two years ago and started taking classes), and have some pretty cool portraits made at this point, so there could be something there. I wrote a book about ER which has fulfilled my long-held dream of writing a book, and am 'researching' the next book -- something about integrating eastern spiritual practices into western life. I keep an almost daily yoga practice going, and have thoughts of maybe learning enough to teach elderly or injured people enough yoga to help ease some of their aches and pains.

And I do lots of fun stuff like hiking and sailing and playing ping pong with my sons,and I head a non-profit that runs a kids ecology summer camp (we're running 320 kids through a week each of camp this summer, earning the non-profit 80k and creating jobs for 15 local teens plus several moonlighting school teachers).

I figure if I can get these things jollied along their paths, even if by slow and stumbling steps, then I will have really begun to experience the freedom I was after in the pre-ER days.

Remember, freedom is not just sitting around the house all day flipping channels for the rest of your life. It will be different for everybody, but over the long run it needs to be more active than many might think.

ESRBob said:
I like to think I am quietly working on the deep stuff and will emerge from my chrysalis...
I save that for when I'm playing Windows Solitaire. Or surfing.

Remember, freedom is not just sitting around the house all day flipping channels for the rest of your life. It will be different for everybody, but over the long run it needs to be more active than many might think.

Very true in my opinion

ESRBob said:
Almost 5 years into ER, I am close to getting my first sculpture commission (discovered this interest two years ago and started taking classes), and have some pretty cool portraits made at this point, so there could be something there. 

Congratulations on the commission!

I'm motivated and inspired by your full life - it sounds like what I wish I could do.... motivates me to get back to the spreadsheets...

The ability to not have day in, day out pressure, the ability to not wake up at 4:30 in the morning worrying about this matter or that, the ability to decide what to work on and what to pass up. yeah, freedom in and of itself.
travel, friends, family, good deeds, good works, sure, but most important is the freedom itself.

I went to jury duty yesterday, but wasn't chosen for the jury ( :LOL:!).

But it was great, because it reminded me what it's like to have to get up at a particular time, dress up (just a little), and commute somewhere. It's so easy to take your freedom for granted.

If I had been chosen I would have had to give up:

1. Playing a gig at a Dixieland funeral Wednesday
2. Clamming during an especially low tide on Thursday

TromboneAl said:
I went to jury duty yesterday, but wasn't chosen for the jury ( :LOL:!).

Both attorneys were concerned that you would interrupt proceedings to correct somebodys use of english. :D

We are just having some fun with you. I think it makes me more careful with my postings, though. ;)

LL

DH---freedom from his boss.

Me---freedom to spend more time with family/friends.

uncledrz said:
The ability to not have day in, day out pressure, the ability to not wake up at 4:30 in the morning worrying about this matter or that, the ability to decide what to work on and what to pass up. yeah, freedom in and of itself.
travel, friends, family, good deeds, good works, sure, but most important is the freedom itself.

Amen
I have been told what to do, how to do it, when to do it, what to say about it, how to feel about it, what not to say about it, what to get others to say about it,for most of my adult life. To say I am sick of being boss'd is putting it politely. Yes it has paid off for this uneducated working class kid from the slums but it at been easy putting up with micro management everyday..... The day is coming fast when they can take this job and ................. :-*

Back
Top Bottom