ER schedule

Looking at his "schedule", I agree with Root's signature...he is not retired at all...he's a stay at home dad. Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

Really, anyone raising kids in "retirement" is going to have a schedule that those of us with no shackles (like kid-rearing) are going to find a bit too structured. That's how I view it anyway...

I do put appointments and deadlines into Calendar in my iPad. If I have three entries, I consider myself overcommitted for that day.

Perhaps I should adopt this approach. Only been retired a month and busier now than when I was working. A calendar has defined my day since starting undergrad so slowing down does not come naturally (which is why I never answer those pesky stop-and-smell-the-roses/what will you do all day/won't you get bored questions because people never get it no matter what I say). OTOH, just amazing and rewarding how productive I've been!

A very dear friend, who retired from ATT a year ahead of me, asked me this once: Do you ever feel bored? Friends ask me about this.

We laughed. heartily. Neither of us has felt anything close to boredom during retirement.

An ex-coworker used to say that boredom is a choice. I do not know about that (although I have pondered it), but boredom has not encroached anywhere near my retirement.

The only way I can relate at all to that question is this. While I worked, an oil change, a dentist appointment, etc. would get worked into a work day. In retirement, appointments like that are only worked into our peaceful day, one appointment at a time. We do not tack the appointment on to a filled work day; the apt is more an inconvenience we schedule that messes up an otherwise blissful day.

I do put appointments and deadlines into Calendar in my iPad. If I have three entries, I consider myself overcommitted for that day.

Yep, I'll sometimes tell people that I'm unavailable if I have more than 1-2 appointments in the day even if I'm only committed for a couple of hours. No way I want to be "busy" for 8+ hours per day. That's what I call work. :)

Looking at his "schedule", I agree with Root's signature...he is not retired at all...he's a stay at home dad. Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

Really, anyone raising kids in "retirement" is going to have a schedule that those of us with no shackles (like kid-rearing) are going to find a bit too structured. That's how I view it anyway...

True enough. 16 more years to go... :)

We're in the middle of a two month vacation here in Mexico and there are certainly pros and cons to having kids in early retirement.

Tonight was one of those nights where I was thinking how nice it would be to have just me and DW here, go into a bar or restaurant, drink a few beers, eat some tacos, and listen to some music. Instead we listened to music with the kids in the town square till 9:30 pm, walked back home past all those bars with the music and tacos and beer, and now we find ourselves having snacks and the adults are having Modelo Especial with lime on our living room couch.

With or without kids: not better or worse, just different.

Yep, I'll sometimes tell people that I'm unavailable if I have more than 1-2 appointments in the day even if I'm only committed for a couple of hours. No way I want to be "busy" for 8+ hours per day. That's what I call work. :)

This is overkill in my book. If I have more than 3 scheduled appointments on my google calendar in a given week, I feel as though I have failed at retirement. I love seeing the widget on my phone homescreen when it says 'no activities today'. :)

3 appointments in a single day? No way, Jose!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

This is overkill in my book. If I have more than 3 scheduled appointments on my google calendar in a given week, I feel as though I have failed at retirement. I love seeing the widget on my phone homescreen when it says 'no activities today'. :)

3 appointments in a single day? No way, Jose!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I schedule things like "Drink beers with Billy". "Attend cookout and eat burgers". "Play tennis at park". "Attend cultural free food event at library". Etc. When things like that pop up, I don't mind having 1-2 in a day. :)

Back
Top Bottom