Escape Plan

jIMHo, thanks for land use ideas. The soccer field is a good idea, I am just a bit too late. Someone up the road is trying to put in a big soccer field complex. Surprisingly, the town and neighbors have been fighting this tooth and nail. I think it will eventually go in but they have been trying to get a permit for over 2 years. I will check out the paintball idea by calling some clubs.

jIMHo, thanks for land use ideas. The soccer field is a good idea, I am just a bit too late. Someone up the road is trying to put in a big soccer field complex. Surprisingly, the town and neighbors have been fighting this tooth and nail. I think it will eventually go in but they have been trying to get a permit for over 2 years. I will check out the paintball idea by calling some clubs.

The soccer field idea will "work" because of how fields get used.

Most clubs build complexes for practices. Think 50 teams using fields Mon-Fri for a 90 minute practice. Easy to schedule. Teams do not need as much space to practice, 1/2 field works, muddy areas (not suitable for games work). Don't compete with this, if fields exist, clubs will contact you if they want to use the space.

On weekends some tournaments host 400-500 teams (which each play 3-4 games). Think teams coming in from 50-500 miles away to play games. Those games are played every minute of daylight (so 7am-7pm where I live). If the fields had lights, they would host another 40-70 teams and play Friday night too.

There is NEVER enough field space for tournament games. I have ran tournaments, and helped run them, and coached in them. If there is a complex available, it is considered.

Focus on this market. I emailed you some links. Those links will show you tournaments in area. Most clubs are limited to the teams they can accept based on field space. More field space=more teams accepted=more money for clubs (tournaments are fund raisers).

The other advantage to using fields for tournaments only is the fields only get used 3-6 times per year (all weekend). They will get torn up those 6 weekends, but can grow back 4-6 weeks later.

And many times 3-4 clubs share the same community, the complex you see being built might be for one of those clubs.

The demand is there, and once word is out on the field space, Lacrosse clubs will be looking to rent it too.

I am concerned that travel agent does seem to be dying as a profession, but there seem to be specialty pockets where there may still be opportunities....anyway I am not looking for a long term career nor am I counting on the income, just something to do on the side a bit that I enjoy and might make a little fun money with...

If I were you, I would cut expenses dramatically and retire. You are fortunate that you were able to reinvent yourself but obviously you are tired of it and who wouldn't be after 30 yrs in a corporate job?
I am 46, doing same thing for 20yrs, and getting ready for something different next yr. I earn very good money but bank a large % of it and can/have been living off substantially less than what I earn. I only mention this because you refer to the 200k as a barometer and that's where you can get stuck. I'd be more conerned with my health and the value of time verus how much money I have for gifts. It's your decision but perhaps start worrying about yourself and what's important-a luxury vehicle and gifts for the grand kids is not.

Would staying in your current position but going part-time being selective on your projects be an option? Selecting only "fun" and challenging to you making the most of your time.

Back
Top Bottom