Examples of current inflation - add yours!

We didn't travel in 2020 thanks to COVID. We barely did anything in 2021. And we lost most of 2022 due to my wife's illness. So I really haven't paid much attention to hotel prices - until today. I went online to book a couple of short local getaways, one this month and one next month. A pretty average hotel in a non-tourist area in the middle of January was $150/night, and that was the AAA rate. It was $170 without the discount. The February hotel - an even more basic place also in a non-tourist location in the middle of winter was $178 or $154 with AAA.

I booked a room for the Spring. At first I thought found a deal at $90 a night plus tax. But, that was for the non-refundable rate. I don't do non-refundable. The real rate was $120 plus tax. This is for a upper grade low-tier hotel. The ones that make the local Comfort Inn Plus Suites look like a palace.

Allen

Received a gift certificate to Omaha Steaks so had a look at their web site, talk about crazy pricing. Of course just about everything is listed at 50% off to make it look like a deal but their non-discounted price for 4lbs of top sirloin steak is $340 ($85/lb), even at 50% off it's crazy high.

If you have a fetish to see something really insane, and and spare 4 minutes.... see Allen Brothers steak website.

I dunno. I feel so fortunate when I buy 'choice' steak at the grocery store. On special occasions yes I do go to a steakhouse, with prime beef and yes it's really good.....but I just do not see how the Allen Brothers prices can be worth it.

I booked a room for the Spring. At first I thought found a deal at $90 a night plus tax. But, that was for the non-refundable rate. I don't do non-refundable. The real rate was $120 plus tax. This is for a upper grade low-tier hotel. The ones that make the local Comfort Inn Plus Suites look like a palace.

Yes, there was a cheaper non-refundable rate available but I couldn’t take that risk right now. We’ve used that rate in the past when life was more stable.

l dug into this a bit more.

CFO Michael Morgan of Dakota Layers, a family-owned egg layer in Flandreau, South Dakota, said, “We don’t anticipate prices going higher, but we don’t see them going down yet, either.”

“The chief culprit behind the price rise is the avian flu affecting the nation’s bird populations,” Morgan said.

The 2022 avian flu is the worst bird flu outbreak in U.S. history.
According to the United State Department of Agriculture (USDA), national depopulations have totaled an estimated 44 million YTD out of 325 million birds (egg-laying hens) – that’s 13.5% of the total hens.

I wonder how long it will take for the chicken population to return to normal?

Oliver Douglas asked Mr. Haney and he said 16 to 18 weeks.

As a bulk producer (though not of eggs) I'd rather work with half or less chickens and make the same money. If you like eggs you'd best hope the big egg producers don't have the same outlook.

As a bulk producer (though not of eggs) I'd rather work with half or less chickens and make the same money. If you like eggs you'd best hope the big egg producers don't have the same outlook.

The car manufacturers are already threatening us with this*.

* - See statements from Ford's CEO. Not 1/2 the supply, but constrain supply to 60 or less days inventory. The stockholders haven't necessarily warmed up to his statements though.

Last edited:

I personally can't remember the last time we bought eggs at a grocery store. We kept a small flock for years, and many of our neighbors do the same. We buy from them now that our chickens have gone to that great henhouse in the sky.

The City of Milwaukee allows small back-yard flocks, along with many smaller municipalities in my area. You can tell a fresh egg from a backyard flock vs. a store-bought egg as soon as you crack them open -- the yolk is a much more vivid yellow.

Of course chickens require some maintenance, but it's a relatively easy way to get closer to the food chain.

I live on a farm and buy my eggs...your last line leaves my LOL....here in coyote, stray dog, mean coon and meaner woodchuck territory some maintenance is a relative term.

If its not trying to kill the hen it's trying to eat her eggs!!!

All you can eat buffet at the Chinese restaurant is now $15.95, written over the old price with magic marker. I think it was $8.95 ten years ago. I had a date with me, and had decided beforehand to just pay whatever the rate was, so we got two buffets. I must admit they had some tasty 'New York steak' in the buffet, not exactly Chinese, but very tasty.

Dozen jumbo eggs here in eastern Washington was $2.39

Shoes!

I haven't ordered shoes for 2 to 3 years and just re-upped my order. It is 33% higher at my wide shoe outlet. Another pair at Amazon is 30% higher than 2021.

The car manufacturers are already threatening us with this*.

* - See statements from Ford's CEO. Not 1/2 the supply, but constrain supply to 60 or less days inventory. The stockholders haven't necessarily warmed up to his statements though.

Kinda reminds me of OPEC. Sooner or later one of the members "cheats" and then all bets are off. Who was it who said "Greed is good." Oh, yeah. Gordon Gekko.

Egg producers and the car industry will gladly take advantage of higher prices while they can, but sooner or later, they'll go for volume again. They can't help themselves.:cool:

Kinda reminds me of OPEC. Sooner or later one of the members "cheats" and then all bets are off. Who was it who said "Greed is good." Oh, yeah. Gordon Gekko.

Egg producers and the car industry will gladly take advantage of higher prices while they can, but sooner or later, they'll go for volume again. They can't help themselves.:cool:

I imagine the price of live chickens (hens) is going up too!

Yeah his supply constraint comments remind me of a cartel of some sort. He was blabbering about this at the height of the supply crisis, "drunk" on the power of control over customers and dealers. If I were a direct stock holder of F, I would have sold. His statements seemed very short sighted to me.

Chicken meat is actually one of the best deal for meat protein in my area. Whole chickens were 99¢ a pound a while back.

My Econ 101 book made it pretty clear that business owners want to maximize profits overall. So they will produce more even if they have to sell it somewhat cheaper if the end result is greater profit.

Can you imagine the CEO of a company at the annual shareholders meeting, "We could have earned each of you an extra dollar a share by producing more eggs and selling them for a bit less, but decided to maximize egg prices instead of your earnings just because we could."

AD09DB1E-409D-4867-A552-4A8BC456A598.jpeg

The egg price is crazy. It takes us 3 weeks to finish 18 eggs. Three weeks ago we go to Walmart and we pay $3. Now it's $6. Next time we go it'll be either $12 or $9.

I live on a farm and buy my eggs...your last line leaves my LOL....here in coyote, stray dog, mean coon and meaner woodchuck territory some maintenance is a relative term.

If its not trying to kill the hen it's trying to eat her eggs!!!

A couple good dogs worked for us. We have plenty of raccoon, chuck, coyote, fox and some mink around here.

Brought my cat to the vet for his 3 month blood work since radioactive iodine treatment. Vet bill increased by about $20 since last visit. On the receipt, a couple of new charges.

One for vet tech fee and another for waste disposal. So, I guess now after taking the cat's temperature there's a charge for tossing the material away use used to be included? :( Ticky tacky fees.

The egg price is crazy. It takes us 3 weeks to finish 18 eggs. Three weeks ago we go to Walmart and we pay $3. Now it's $6. Next time we go it'll be either $12 or $9.

I'm been going on around my 3rd week without eating eggs.

Eggs are currently going for $4.99 a dozen by me. That kind of money, I might as well buy a steak. Steak could be cheaper by the pound :blush:.

What the HECK is going one with EGGS?

DW goes out yesterday to Lidl and rejects the idea to purchase eggs at $3.49. She comes back and tells me so. I say, "The Internet says that is a good price, it is more like $6. You are a bozo."

DW says: "Bozo this, I'll show ya!"

She goes to Food Lion or Harris Teeter (North Carolina) and comes back with $2.29 per carton eggs. She then plants a flag in the floor of our kitchen that says: "I am THE master shopper."

So what the heck? Is this really a regional thing?

What the HECK is going one with EGGS?

DW goes out yesterday to Lidl and rejects the idea to purchase eggs at $3.49. She comes back and tells me so. I say, "The Internet says that is a good price, it is more like $6. You are a bozo."

DW says: "Bozo this, I'll show ya!"

She goes to Food Lion or Harris Teeter (North Carolina) and comes back with $2.29 per carton eggs. She then plants a flag in the floor of our kitchen that says: "I am THE master shopper."

So what the heck? Is this really a regional thing?

Yes. I have shopped multiple stores in my area and am a diligent comparison shopper - it avgs $4 and up per dozen - with many stores at 6+. There are no cheaper alternatives for us. This includes sam's, costco, walmart, aldis - all the usual suspects.

No biggie: we just won't eat eggs as much anymore. This too will pass, and in the meantime, there are many other alternatives - at least until we can move to a LCOL or MCOL market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom