Examples of current inflation - add yours!

Shadow bloom, this is the reason that when I got divorced and sold my house I immediately bought a condo. Rent here is 5xs what my mortgage is. It’s the only way I could afford to stay here.

I saw windshield washer fluid at Speedway last night for $5.99 a bottle. That's up just a bit from ... I think it was $1.79 about three months ago.

I was going to post this but I see it's already been handled. Windshield washer fluid is $6.99 a gallon at the gas station, $5.99 at the auto parts store, and $3.79 at Walmart. This product consists of water, alcohol, and dye.

And just a year ago it was $1.79 a gallon.

Used to be able to find windshield washer fluid concentrate. Much cheaper since you weren't paying for water. Haven't seen it in years in stores but amazon has some for sale.

I was going to post this but I see it's already been handled. Windshield washer fluid is $6.99 a gallon at the gas station, $5.99 at the auto parts store, and $3.79 at Walmart. This product consists of water, alcohol, and dye.

If I were really concerned about it, I would just mix my own.

Used to be able to find windshield washer fluid concentrate. Much cheaper since you weren't paying for water. Haven't seen it in years in stores but amazon has some for sale.

If I were really concerned about it, I would just mix my own.

I'm aware of the concentrate option, however, I only go through 2 gallons per year of the stuff.

Also, the thread was looking for "Examples of Current Inflation--Add Yours", so I did.

Shadow bloom, this is the reason that when I got divorced and sold my house I immediately bought a condo. Rent here is 5xs what my mortgage is. It’s the only way I could afford to stay here.

Buying isn't an option in my current location (prices are very high). I'll have to rent for a while in the burb I'll be moving to, since there isn't time to organize funds for a purchase, but I'll consider buying after that lease is up.

You and me both.

If I had to buy my place today, I could still do it, but I would be sitting on a bare floor eating out of a can of sold after the Best By date beans.

I guess we were lucky that our AC went out due to a slow freon leak and we decided to go ahead and replace it in 2019.

Same thing happened to my AC unit in 2019. The evaporator coil developed a leak and the unit was 20 years old. I had new Lennox system installed.

I just found a pair of Aldi and a Walmart grocery shopping receipts in the back of a drawer from Feb 17, 2020. I usually go to Aldi first and then to Walmart for whatever Aldi doesn’t have. They both contain many of the same food staple items that I continue to buy now and I have to say it’s shocking how much prices have gone up. For example, the Walmart frozen pizza dough was 99 cents back in 2020. Now it’s $1.79. The Aldi breakfast sausage Pattie’s were $5.99. Now they’re $8.99. Aldi sharp cheddar cheese was $1.19. Now it’s $1.99. A bag of pork rinds was .79 cents, now $1.19. Eggs were $.79 per dozen. Now $1.29. The Aldi Parmesan wedge was $2.99. Now it’s $4.29. A can of San marzano tomatoes from walmart was $1.99. I bought one last week for $2.99 (“on sale”), etc. I can’t accurately compare the meats and produce because the receipts don’t show the quality of the cuts and i may be buying different weights, but they also appear far higher. I guess I’m one of this unlucky ones who’s personal inflation is almost triple the official cpi amounts. Either that or the cpi food inflation amounts don’t reflect reality, at least not for what I eat.

I think the ton refers to how much heat it takes to melt a ton of ice (not sure over what time frame). Probably from some early days when they used ice to cool things.

It's a rate of heat transfer. A 1 ton unit could freeze 1 ton (2000lb) of 32°F water in 24hr. 1 Ton=12,000Btu/hr

You and me both.

If I had to buy my place today, I could still do it, but I would be sitting on a bare floor eating out of a can of sold after the Best By date beans.

Same here. I just ran a hypothetical scenario where I had to buy my house, again, but at today's value, current interest rates, and property taxes without the homestead tax credit, since I'd be starting new.

The monthly payment would be around $5400, which is roughly twice what I'm actually paying.

Oh, and one thing that definitely HASN'T kept up with inflation: My salary. I estimate I'd need roughly a 6.2% raise to get me to where I was in 2018, adjusted for inflation.

I'm glad I bought when I did, because with the way things are now, I think I'd be hesitant. Although, if interest rates come down enough, I wonder if that would make prices go up even more? So maybe the best thing to do would be buy now, but then refinance the next time rates drop enough to make it worthwhile (presuming that happens).

I just found a pair of Aldi and a Walmart grocery shopping receipts in the back of a drawer from Feb 17, 2020...I guess I’m one of this unlucky ones who’s personal inflation is almost triple the official cpi amounts. Either that or the cpi food inflation amounts don’t reflect reality...

My bet would be on the latter.

...The monthly payment would be around $5400, which is roughly twice what I'm actually paying.

Oh, and one thing that definitely HASN'T kept up with inflation: My salary. I estimate I'd need roughly a 6.2% raise to get me to where I was in 2018, adjusted for inflation...

...And people wonder why I still refuse to believe the "official" numbers...

Car insurance 1 yr ago $323 for 6 month premium
Car insurance today $393 for 6 month premium

That's just under a 22% increase in one year.

Same car, same coverage, same deductibles, same company, no claims, no accidents, no tickets, same discounts.

Inflation is still strong driving my costs up much faster than the government inflation figures.

...And people wonder why I still refuse to believe the "official" numbers...

Yeah, I wish I had only seen inflation as low as those official numbers, which are already too high.

Last edited:
I was in Bestbuy looking around, and saw some rectangular items I thought were flip phones, with prices like $49.00 and $53.00. I picked one up to look at it, and it was just a case for holding the phone. AN empty case, not a phone. A case for $53. Whaaaaaat ? I have to think it is severely ovepriced, if not inflated also.

I was in Bestbuy looking around, and saw some rectangular items I thought were flip phones, with prices like $49.00 and $53.00. I picked one up to look at it, and it was just a case for holding the phone. AN empty case, not a phone. A case for $53. Whaaaaaat ? I have to think it is severely ovepriced, if not inflated also.
Hard to believe, but I took a look on the BB website.

There was one case on the website that was listed $99.99 regular price on sale for $79.99. My last phone came with a free case, and my previous couple cases were under $13 each back in 2021.

Well if the phones weren't so slippery you wouldn't need a case. Unless you drop it. Guess that belongs in the peeve posts.

Hard to believe, but I took a look on the BB website.

There was one case on the website that was listed $99.99 regular price on sale for $79.99. My last phone came with a free case, and my previous couple cases were under $13 each back in 2021.

There are an endless number of offers at Amazon for phone cases under $13.

Windshield washer fluid is $6.99 a gallon at the gas station, $5.99 at the auto parts store, and $3.79 at Walmart. This product consists of water, alcohol, and dye.

I noticed it went up during 2020 and stayed there.

I think it's because those products and producers (cleaners, etc.) were focused on other things, so charged premium for this one since it wasn't seeing increased demand, if anything, less at the time.

And it's just stuck there....because they can. I don't think washer fluid is inflation related, just a pandemic issue that stayed that way.

I think it's because those products and producers (cleaners, etc.) were focused on other things, so charged premium for this one since it wasn't seeing increased demand, if anything, less at the time.

And it's just stuck there....because they can. I don't think washer fluid is inflation related, just a pandemic issue that stayed that way.

I sense that stuff you don't buy (say) once a month, is much easier to raise in price. You suddenly NEED washer fluid. You may even notice that the price has risen ridiculously, BUT, you need it. SO you BUY it. No time (or much value) in "shopping" for a better price. There are a lot of items like that. Stuff you buy every day (say donuts) can't rise as fast because there will be resistance - especially since you CAN live without them and/or substitute for them. Washer fluid is something you really need and there are relatively few substitutes and you rarely have to buy it.

There are an endless number of offers at Amazon for phone cases under $13.
That's where I got both mine for under $13 that didn't come with the phones. I thought it was reasonable. I never went to Best Buy to check out their high prices before.

This makes sense. People drastically reduced their driving during Covid so didn't use much windshield washer fluid. Stores increased the price in response. Now they've got us because we need the stuff.

Just checked local hardware store, 1.90 gallon for bug wash, (no freeze protection), and 2.49 gallon for -20 washer fluid.

Just checked local hardware store, 1.90 gallon for bug wash, (no freeze protection), and 2.49 gallon for -20 washer fluid.

Nothing around here for less than $4/gallon. Fortunately, I go through a gallon/year. That's one of the reasons folks accept 100% inflation on an item like bug wash - it doesn't make a big difference to the bottom line. You'll likely not change your behavior for that example of 100% inflation. 100% inflation of gasoline is another story. The bottom line is significantly affected for many of us at that level of inflation. YMMV

That's where I got both mine for under $13 that didn't come with the phones. I thought it was reasonable. I never went to Best Buy to check out their high prices before.

Not buying any accessories at BB would be a good rule. They may have a good price on a TV but hose you on cables, for example.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom