Examples of current inflation - add yours!

I just ordered a lining room set today from Rooms To Go. For $69 they'll deliver to the door or garage. For $169 they will assemble, put it in the house where you want and then takeaway the packing materials.

lining = dining or
lining = living?
Or have you thrown in the towel and just admitted you always eat in the living room so it is a dining room also = lining.

Last edited:
I buy 16x25x1 MERV 7 furnace filters from Menards, 3 for $10.

Thanks! We don't have any Menards's here in Pa, but that gives me hope. And my girl friend just bought one 20 x 20 filter at Aldi's for $6.45 today, which is a lot less than the Walmart price.

Maybe just a matter of finding the non-gouging stores.

This happened about 7 years ago, so not new inflation. The basic, very common 16 inch by 20 inch (I think) air filter for the furnace used to be about $1 each. You could buy a pack of 4 or 5 at a time for $5.

Now they're some huge price like $12 or something EACH. And you can only buy them individually. What a scam. Cardboard frame and plastic mesh. Really? This is at a Walmart store. Haven't checked online yet.

Heh, heh, time to get creative and make your own! Maybe you could clean a "dirty" one. The ones we use on the mainland stay so clean we don't need to change them very often. YMMV

I buy 16x25x1 MERV 7 furnace filters from Menards, 3 for $10.

Thanks! We don't have any Menards's here in Pa, but that gives me hope. And my girl friend just bought one 20 x 20 filter at Aldi's for $6.45 today, which is a lot less than the Walmart price.

A year or three ago I bought some plumbing stuff from Menards online (no physical stores around here either) and even with the $5 or so shipping they charged it was still a lot cheaper than anyone else I could find. So they're still worth a looksee.

Our toaster died the other day after 17 years. I went to Amazon to look at the options and found the same model, selling now for 25% less.

Our toaster died the other day after 17 years. I went to Amazon to look at the options and found the same model, selling now for 25% less.

They didn't have Amazon 17 years ago. I wonder if that's part of the story. So much has changed in the retail world. It's hard to compare.

They didn't have Amazon 17 years ago. I wonder if that's part of the story. So much has changed in the retail world. It's hard to compare.
Amazon was selling a lot of stuff 17 years ago.... not sure about toasters. I bought a toaster from Walmart 15 to 20 years ago, less than $10 IIRC, and I've never used it because the other one has continued working that dates back to early 90's! Coincidentally, I just saw the "new" one stored away in a cabinet in recent days.

Edit: looks like Amazon was selling kitchen stuff by 2000.

The new toasters probably don't last as long just like the larger kitchen appliances.

Last edited:
Yeah, it doesn't go up everywhere to the same amount at the same time. That was a report I got from someone in Schaumburg.

Edit: Did a bit of searching. Looks like it's going up nationally.

https://www.wfsb.com/2024/03/22/why-gas-prices-are-skyrocketing/

Why gas prices are skyrocketing

Today in Connecticut, the gas price average is $3.42 per gallon, which is up 10 cents from last week.

Last edited:

Yes we did. We started ordering from Amazon in the late 90s. Amazon online ordering launched in 1995.

Yes we did. We started ordering from Amazon in the late 90s. Amazon online ordering launched in 1995.
Right, although they started out with books and expanded from there through the 90's and beyond. At some point, that included toasters, but that looks like that might have been well over 20 years ago.

Last edited:
It's location dependent. It's apparently over $5/gal some places in CA. But the main point I was making is that they are going up.

But you don't buy your gas in California or Connecticut, do you? You buy it in Illinois, where the Gas Buddy site says the price is about $3.49. And did you bother to read the article you quoted? Gas goes up in Connecticut at this time of year every year, because they switch to the less polluting but more expensive summer blend (and I would add, because people drive more when the weather warms up). Finally, California gas prices are almost always higher than the rest of the country.

It's one thing to be concerned about inflation. It's another thing entirely to fabricate your data out of whole cloth just so you can complain about something. This is not the first time you've done it either.

I purchased the exact same model from Amazon on July 26 2007. The only difference is price, now it’s 25% less.

The only data point in that article:
"Today in Connecticut, the gas price average is $3.42 per gallon, which is up 10 cents from last week."

And that is explained as typical and seasonal for that area. Hardly skyrocketing, and hardly national.

It's $3.49 at my costco today, and has hovered around there for months. Gas always goes up over the summer in the US. But there's no reason for false alarm.

My espresso maker was $599 when I got it in 2013. I replaced it last march, same exact model, $536.

Yeah, it doesn't go up everywhere to the same amount at the same time. That was a report I got from someone in Schaumburg.

The gasoline prices in Schaumburg are at or below the average for Cook County. They aren’t rising faster than the national average.

Searching the internet will always help you find evidence to support your views. That’s confirmation bias.

The national average for gasoline prices is below where it was a decade ago. It is highly volatile, which is why it is not counted when looking at core inflation.

Yikes. Another jump in gas prices. Some gas stations over $4/gal.

I filled up my Dodge Ram yesterday. It has the 5.7 Hemi, which calls for 89 octane. I paid $3.779/gal. Last time I filled up, sometime in February, it was something like $3.579. So yeah, prices do seem to be creeping again.

The $94.05 it took to fill up was a bit of an eye opener, but it was also really low, so it gulped down 24.887 gallons.

I happened to notice the 87 octane price at the gas station. $3.499.

Back
Top Bottom