Expiration Dates

This have many different answers as to what it is....

Drugs are required to have a date... I saw a program that said the date is supposed to ensure that the drug is 85% effective till that date... some are still 100% and can go on for years after... they just had to put down a date and that was what they choose... As FinanceDude said, some drugs go bad quickly, but you should be made aware of this....

Food is just a date that they make up... if you read... most say 'sell by' date, not 'goes bad' date.... some say 'tastes best by'... I have had eggs 6 months after the expiration date without any problem

Now, you want to talk about 'old' food... I was in the JROTC in high school... we went on a weekend bivwack (sp:confused:) They brought out C rats that had dates of 1919... (this was in '75)... Most were WWII from '45. we are talking scamble eggs here!!! some beef, some chicken.. the cigs were a bit bad looking, but I don't smoke so I don't know how they fared... the food was very salty and bland... but didn't kill anyone...

If the can still looks normal, with no bulges, it usually is OK..

We just replaced our freezer to an upright and found some soy burger patties that had a date of 2005...cooked some up and havent died yet....I have to guess that freezer burn is the enemy...

I cant imagine what you might do to a soy burger that would make it any worse.

Anything my dog wont eat is off the menu :p

I have a real issue with expiration dates. I'm freakish about deli meat, for instance. I keep it maybe 4 days, then I start feeling that it's getting slimy, and even if it probably isn't, I believe it is. So I waste a Lot of meat.

I once ate some yogurt past the expiration date. FYI, that date is real. Don't ignore it. Expired yogurt is up there with expired milk in terms of nastiness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom