Facebook........who'd a thunk it!

On click volume............:)

Valued at 13 times *sales*? Wow, it's the dot-com bubble all over again!

No kidding--I'd be lined up to sell so fast. From the article:

A Russian Internet company is offering to buy 100 million dollars worth of stock from Facebook employees in a deal which values the fast-growing social network at 6.5 billion dollars. The Russian company, Digital Sky Technologies (DST), which invested 200 million dollars in Facebook in May, is offering 14.77 dollars per share of Facebook common stock. ... According to the technology blog BoomTown, current and former employees of Facebook will be allowed to sell up to 20 percent of their common shares.

Looks like the price is dropping. $15 billion when MSFT invested. Then $10 billion. Now only $6.5 billion.

Hopefully they can figure out a way to monetize the service. After all it is a marketing dream. All of your private data right there in the database just waiting for data mining and directly targeted advertising.

The stats are impressive. 100 million users log on daily. $65 per frequent user. 200 million members are "active", or $33 per active user. 30 billion person hours spent on the site each year.

I heard an interesting tidbit on the trivia question on the radio this AM. This was something 61% of people that use it said they could not do without it, and this was not true just one year ago. Answer? Facebook. And primarily among the older folks who said it was the best/only way to keep tabs on their younger friends and relatives.

I have no idea if they will ever monetize facebook successfully, but it certainly seems like a nice user-friendly service right now. If they crap it up with a bunch of ads and marketing, then I'm sure it will lose steam and users.

I have no idea if they will ever monetize facebook successfully, but it certainly seems like a nice user-friendly service right now. If they crap it up with a bunch of ads and marketing, then I'm sure it will lose steam and users.

If they just take a few cents per user from in-game transactions, that alone could double that revenue money without a single ad. It's kinda crazy out there.

If they just take a few cents per user from in-game transactions, that alone could double that revenue money without a single ad. It's kinda crazy out there.

Yeah, it wouldn't take much to make a bunch of money. And I see friends actually buying some of those facebook "gifts" unless they got the credits for free somehow.

But will it continue to be?

I seem to remember a site called MySpace, and a site called Friendster, etc.

What happens when everyone moves to the next hot thing?

totally believe it - Facebook is pervasive...

I just started using Facebook in April and have logged in about once a week since then. I tried some things like taking little quizes but they were too slow and dumb.

So now I log in and have 4 friends, 3 nieces and one brother. Two of the nieces post little things like it was nice at the beach or something the rest don't really post. I never post anything. Two new great nieces have been born that I wouldn't know about without facebook. One of the girls isn't a real niece I have never met her or spoken to her, her husband is my nephew I haven't seen in 15 years. My brother adopted his ex wife's children and so when I heard she died in April I tried Facebook to connect with the children.

Back
Top Bottom