Fast Food Drive Thru Only - Is This the Future?

At least a couple of places near us are that way too. Not enough staff to be fully open.

+1 I cannot remember the last time I had to use a fast food restaurant restroom. Rest stops, truck/convenience stops, gas stations, convenience stores, supermarkets, large stores, hotels, etc. provide plenty of other options.

Funny story about using a hotel restroom. Granddaughter (DGD) was young and scared of all the self flushing toilets we were encountering on a trip. She was too small and they would flush during her evacuation.

I forget what hotel it was, but I had a reservation at one of their hotels about an hour further in our trip. But, I saw one at the next stop and went in to see if they could transfer the reservation. If so, I would have stopped early. They couldn’t and wouldn’t match the price. However, DGD went in to use the bathroom while I was talking to the clerk. Their lobby bathroom was sweet. Clean, modern and a regular flush (manual) toilet. When we got back in the car, you’d have thought I was a rock star. She was so happy and so was her mom to get the relief that was so needed.

I’ve wondered if any hotel would say anything if you just stopped in and used their restroom. I just signed up to be a Hilton Rewards member so I’m thinking if “confronted” that would get me a pass. Note, I didn’t get it for that reason. I signed up to get a discount on an upcoming hotel stay. Generally, I’m thinking they’d have better things to do as long as you weren’t making any ruckus.

I drove through Arby's and got a half pounder and horsey sauce. Set up in the parking lot and they gave me Arby sauce in error.

So I got out the car and walked to the door and it was locked.

Yeah. Drove back around (glad there was no line) and said "I'll trade ya"

Life in the covid times.

Hehe, this is why I bought a yacht!

Wifey saw the plastic bucket seat I bought for the 21 footer, said "what's that for?"

I said you put a trash can liner in the bucket and add a cup of kitty litter then put the seat on when you need to go.

She said "no way I'm crapping in a bucket"

Which led to this;

51873256785_6c5c5e225a.jpg

Women.

So if you name your boat "The Bucket" , then after she goes you can tell her she did go in a bucket :LOL:

I've never thought of stopping at a hotel to go... One has to walk past the front desk and I'm not sure all hotels have one available, as every room has one that guests can use.

Big hotels would due to having conference rooms, but I wonder about the little ones :confused:

I've never thought of stopping at a hotel to go... One has to walk past the front desk and I'm not sure all hotels have one available, as every room has one that guests can use.

Big hotels would due to having conference rooms, but I wonder about the little ones :confused:

Most have one somewhere in the lobby/front desk/just-down-the-hall area. I am often "sent there" while DW is on the can. :D

From what I can tell and from what my friends have mentioned, all the fast food places around here are open inside and have been for several months now. Of course this is Texas.

I drove through Arby's and got a half pounder and horsey sauce. Set up in the parking lot and they gave me Arby sauce in error.

So I got out the car and walked to the door and it was locked.

Yeah. Drove back around (glad there was no line) and said "I'll trade ya"

Life in the covid times.

"horsey sauce"? RobbieB = blower of the dough and equine gourmand :D

If you are ever pulling a large trailer, the drive through is not an option most times. Only if the drive through is a wide turn and no enclosed lane can you make it with a large trailer behind a truck. In those times I just walk in. Or if like lately where inside is closed, move on and just stop at a truck stop where they have a fast food inside where you can walk up to the counter.

I’ve wondered if any hotel would say anything if you just stopped in and used their restroom. I just signed up to be a Hilton Rewards member so I’m thinking if “confronted” that would get me a pass.

I have never had a problem with stopping into a hotel for this purpose. My experience has been:
- It pays to be dressed nice and neat, like someone who could be a client of the hotel.
- Some hotels are large enough that you can get to the bathroom without accessing the front desk. But I usually always ask.
- It does help to be a rewards member of that particular chain. "I have phrases like "Hello, I am a <name of rewards program> member on my way to stay at one of your hotels, do you mind if I/we use your restroom?" or even "Hello, we may be visiting this area in the future and wanted to see what the hotel is like, mind of we look around? and we might want to use the restroom?"

Hiltons have been the best to me. Once we stopped at a Double Tree, not only did the front desk person let us use the restroom, she asked if we needed water for our journey and gifted us the famous cookie. I wrote a letter to Hilton Customer Service about her, and received a nice response back thanking me for the letter and saying that it would go in as a commendation to the employee.

I have never had a problem with stopping into a hotel for this purpose. My experience has been:
- It pays to be dressed nice and neat, like someone who could be a client of the hotel.
- Some hotels are large enough that you can get to the bathroom without accessing the front desk. But I usually always ask.
- It does help to be a rewards member of that particular chain. "I have phrases like "Hello, I am a <name of rewards program> member on my way to stay at one of your hotels, do you mind if I/we use your restroom?" or even "Hello, we may be visiting this area in the future and wanted to see what the hotel is like, mind of we look around? and we might want to use the restroom?"

Hiltons have been the best to me. Once we stopped at a Double Tree, not only did the front desk person let us use the restroom, she asked if we needed water for our journey and gifted us the famous cookie. I wrote a letter to Hilton Customer Service about her, and received a nice response back thanking me for the letter and saying that it would go in as a commendation to the employee.

Thank you. Good to know.

I agree on Hiltons. I use a lot of Hampton Inns and frequently I've gotten off the road after hours of driving and really want to use the rest room before check-in. Half the time the desk person is in the back office or taking care of other guests- if one seems to notice me I just say, "I'm checking in but want to use the bathroom first". I don't ever remember there not being restrooms in the public area on the ground floor. I've even seen some stocked with free feminine products- not that I need them, but a very nice gesture.

I haven’t been to our McDonalds since the COVID since I’m not a big fast food eater, but ours is really nice with a fireplace and lovely ambience.

I’m not sure if it’s open or not.

DW much prefers hotel lobbies to gas stations :yuk: Never had a problem. Admittedly, we don't look homeless but neither do we dress up for car travel. If someone would ever stop us and ask if we are guests, I would say "not yet" (as more of a "threat" than a statement.) :cool: YMMV

Back
Top Bottom