Favourite and worst world festivals and events?

YVRRocketSurgery

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hope this might be a fun thread to help recall some travel memories while many of us are stuck at home.

Do you like traveling for major world festivals and events?
Personally, we've generally tried to avoid major events and festivals because accommodations get pricier and there's more of a strain on infrastructure (transportation, restaurants, etc) because of the crowds. We don't mind smaller festivals, particluarly ones we happen to come across by chance.

However, I'm thinking in retirement, we might be able to be more strategic in attending more festivals and going back to a few we enjoyed in the past. I'd like to attend some World Expo's. Vancouver had a specialty one in 1986 while I really enjoyed but was too young to fully appreciate. While it's kind of hit and miss, I'd like to experience Songkran in Thailand again. The Winter Olympics in Vancouver was fun but I'm not sure if I'd want to travel to the games somewhere.

What are some world festivals and events you enjoyed attending and ones you thought were underwhelming?

We were in Barcelona for La Merce in Sept 2014. Parades with paper mache costume giants, a “correfoc” (which is a fire run...think fireworks but in parade form - we kept a safe distance, haha), traditional music and dancing, popular music concerts, and amazing food. We had an Airbnb right near Las Ramblas so maybe more crowds than we’d normally like. But such a memorable experience, I would definitely go again someday...highly recommended!

Edit: corrected typo.

in 2018 we stumbled upon a Bagpipe and drum festival on top of a run to benefit Crohn's disease at Edinburgh castle. Irony was not lost on us. Same trip we wandered into the Malmo Sweden gay pride parade in downtown Malmo one day when we were looking for a burrito. And yes we found a good burrito.

The annual mullet festival in the FL panhandle was always a big disappointment. Not the best tasting fish, even when deep fried. One of the more interesting festivals (I have not personally attended) might be the Kanamara Matsuri festival in Japan, if for no other reason than the penis theme. :cool:

I don't know about world festivals - but there are various saints day parades we've happened upon. Since we have visited hubby's relatives in Sicily in late June several times we've been there for Saint Peters day (June 29th). Patron Saint of Riposto. The whole town gets lit up with beautiful lights. Beautiful candlelit parade, lots of music and food. One cousin lives in the heart of town 1/2 block off the main route... another lives right behind the Cathedral - and you can watch the festivities from his balcony.

There was a fun parade in Spain - no idea what saint - but there was a big paper mache version of him paraded through the town.

I would love to be in Venice for Carnivale... Maybe someday.

Oh - and I've been in Park City for Sundance... That's a LOT of fun.

I usually avoid summer travel to Europe, but several years ago I was taking a teenage niece and nephew who could only travel during summer break. We were in Bordeaux on June 21, the summer solstice. Throughout France since 1982 (and spreading to other countries now) that night is the Fête de la Musique. All through the city, musical performances were put on indoors and out, all for free. We were out from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. and they were going strong when we gave up. The performances ranged from individual musicians on a street corner to orchestras in public squares. It was a magical night, both for the music and camaraderie of all the people wandering the streets, listening and drinking!

in 2018 we stumbled upon a Bagpipe and drum festival on top of a run to benefit Crohn's disease at Edinburgh castle. Irony was not lost on us. .

Just curious: what's the irony - I don't see it?

Regarding Edinburgh, the Fringe is awesome!

Last edited:
Montreux Jazz Festival! Amazing music, amazing setting

The annual mullet festival in the FL panhandle was always a big disappointment.

I thought at first that this might be a celebration of the hairstyle rather than the fish. The souvenir T-shirt would have to be a tank.

When I was a kid I participated in a church youth group trip to Montreal and Expo 67. It was quite an excursion, about 50 youths in the throes of puberty riding in a Greyhound from Chicago and back. We camped out in a church basement for four or five days. The Expo was impressive, as well as the experience of a place where English was not the primary language.

DW and I were driving home from out west one year when we approached Mitchell, SD, and I suggested we take a drive past the Corn Palace. To our surprise we were in town for the hall's 100th anniversary celebration. The downtown was all blocked off and there was square dancing in the street. We spent about an hour there touring the palace, shopping some souvenir booths and eating street food. Then we left.

Not a festival, but in 2018 we planned a trip to coincide with the UCI Road World Championships (bicycle racing) in Innsbruck, Austria. DH has been a cycling fan as long as I've known him, and seeing the pros race in Europe was a dream of his. It was fun hanging out in the finish area and chatting with fans from all over the world.

To our surprise we were in town for the hall's 100th anniversary celebration. The downtown was all blocked off and there was square dancing in the street. We spent about an hour there touring the palace, shopping some souvenir booths and eating street food. Then we left.

1997, driving eastward from BC in a Class 'B' with my late wife, we managed to get right in front of some fruit festival or other parade in Morden, Manitoba.

Lots of Hutterites/Mennonites, (I don't know which is whom), and we waved to people who were wondering who the **** we were.

We all have our 15 seconds of fame, I guess. :LOL:

Last edited:
1997, driving eastward from BC in a Class 'B' with my late wife, we managed to get right in front of some fruit festival or other parade in Morden, Manitoba.

Lots of Hutterites/Mennonites, (I don't know which is whom), and we waved to people who were wondering who the **** we were.

We all have our 15 seconds of fame, I guess. :LOL:

:LOL: That reminds me of this:

Really, really dislike crowds but somehow have managed to go to both Oktoberfest in Munich and the Olympics when they were in Atlanta. Enjoyed Oktoberfest and met people from all over the world but would probably not attend the Olympics again.

The last time we were in the South of France it was during the Cannes Film Festival. Didn't attend any events but got our fair share of star sighting in the Nice Airport. On a previous vacation to the same area we were there during the Monaco Grand Prix. Didn't see the race but got to drive through Monaco with the track set up on our way to Italy.

We also have attended the Salon d'Agriculture in Paris three times. Not sure if that counts but it's a big deal to the French. it's like a food festival and a state fair combined. Oh, also saw two of the three Triple Crown of Surfing events on a visit to Hawaii. Hmmm. maybe I'm not as allergic to crowds as I thought. :LOL:

It's only an hour from our house, but we have enjoyed going to the Oktoberfest festival in Mt Angel, Oregon a few times in the past. It's quite the production, with the entire town in on festivities.

Unfortunately, we went last year and were very disappointed. The whole reason we made the trip was to enjoy German food, German music, and the German atmosphere. Instead it was just a big carnival. Corn dogs and elephant ears were the standard food offerings at most vendors. Unless, of course, you went to the booths selling Mexican, Chinese, or Russian foods. Except for one or two songs most of the music was 70's and 80's American rock and dance songs. The atmosphere was just a comical representation with people wearing silly German hats and drinking beer out of plastic boots. The millennial crowd seemed to be loving it but we felt like the whole festival had become a joke. It was loud, extremely crowded, and nothing like the festivals we had attended in the past. We both agreed we would probably never go back.

We also used to attend a local Oktoberfest celebration here in town. The first couple years it was fun, authentic German food and music, imported beer, and German dancers. The last time we went they played one German song, then the rest was (I kid you not) Disco and Budweiser. There weren't even dancers.

These traditional family friendly festivals lost their identity and just became big dance parties. Not my scene.

Those were the only festivals we really ever attended, and they lost their appeal even before COVID came on the scene.

I loved the New York World's Fair in 1964-65. I lived in NYC at the time so I went many times (just a subway ride away). Expo 67 in Montreal was also wonderful. DW was at both of those as well, but long before we met. She also went to the ones in Nashville and Montreal before I knew her. I doubt there will ever be another World's Fair now that we have the internet.

Hard not to enjoy Oktoberfest in Munich. I've been several times. We have the second biggest Oktoberfest locally (Cincinnati) which is also great fun.

The Edinburgh Fringe Festival and the Tattoo are also great. We were just there a couple of years ago.

Kind of esoteric, but I also enjoy the Great British Beer Festival in London. The American equivalent in Denver has become more of a "college kids trying to get drunk quickly" affair.

Milwaukee has a festival grounds on the shore of Lake Michigan that is home to Summerfest, a nine-day music festival that attracts almost 1 million people annually. I used to attend quite often when I was younger. A former co-worker who is a musician would take a week of vacation every year so he could go every day.

The grounds host a number of ethnic festivals too, including Irish Fest, which claims to be North America's largest celebration of Irish culture (they used to claim it was the world's largest, so somebody must have one-upped them somewhere). The president of Ireland has attended. If you're Irish you'd enjoy it (I'm not, and I still find it fun and interesting).

I’ll give a shoutout to the Albuquerque International Balloon Festival held the first couple of weeks every October (except, of course, 2020). Standing on the field in the middle of hundreds of hot air balloons ascending all around on a crisp October dawn surprised me with a sense of wonder I’d not had since childhood.

And when I did this with a hearty green chili breakfast burrito in hand...well, pure delight.

You can even arrange for a hot air balloon ride - uh, book early on that one.
Back in the days before phones became cameras it was the billed as the most photographed event in the world.

Last edited:
Gonna guess I'm a loner in here in mine:

Tokyo Game Show. Huge multiple connected convention halls, big annual games release. Huge booths for Sony, Nintendo, etc., every game out and coming out. Cosplayers, kids from all over Japan, and of course a few nerdy westerners.

Anime Japan - like TGS, but for Anime, and not quite so crazy.

Otakon (in the US) - annual US anime convention. Lots of cosplay, and lots of accepting the idea of standing in line for 2 hours for every event (which is fun when you're 23, but not 48, so I'm not rushing back to this one! but it was fun to go to once)

One of these days I'd like to do the US/LA Anime Expo, and maybe E3.

We have always enjoyed Mardi Gras right here in New Orleans, and we live 1/2 block from one of the biggest parade routes. That makes it even more fun, since we can just stroll down there and back without the headaches of finding a parking place or other amenities such as bathroom facilities near the parades.

However, there may not be any Mardi Gras celebrations here this year. Plus, by now it's so late that the krewes will have a tough time finding the money to pay for parades even if they are allowed at the last minute. So, at best things will be drastically scaled down. Mardi Gras is February 16th. The article I linked to said that no krewes had cancelled their parades, but since then some of the largest parades have been cancelled. Nobody knows what is going on, and we still have fairly draconian coronavirus restrictions in effect. So, I wouldn't recommend coming here for Mardi Gras this year.

Now, 2022? Come to New Orleans, and laissez les bons temps rouler. :dance:

Back in the 1950's when I was a kid, I always liked Japan's Obon Festival and dancing the Bon Odori with Japanese kids my age and their families. But that festival was earlier this week. Also I don't know if it is the same any more.

I was in Stockholm the night their local team won a big soccer (football) match. That was the most memorable street party I've been in. I had to ask why they were celebrating, but then I joined the festivity.

Formula 1 Grand Prix in Monaco, Melbourne and Budapest. Budapest was good, Melbourne was great and Monaco is to be experienced once.

When in Paris, we stumbled into a celebration in Mont Marte one Saturday. We never did figure out what the event was, but it was lots of fun with amazing food stands and street performers.

Australian rules football is a great time.

On the to do list is Oktoberfest in Munich and a proper European football game.

Went to the Kumbh Mela in 2013, only 3 mil people, a slow day, 50+ over a 30 day period. Would not do again until a vacine is out and effective, total opposite of social distancing.

I did eat local free temple food and dipped in the Ganges and did not get sick but the risks are there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbh_Mela

Back
Top Bottom