Feeling so depressed and confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
I
As of today, I am unemployed. First time I have ever been laid off. If the economy had been going swimmingly like it was in February, I would have said Hoorah! because I had already planned to hang it up in October, sell the house, and take a long trip to the west coast to figure out where to live.
I work, or should I say worked, in HR, so I do know that there is already a bias against candidates who have been laid off, so I will have a strike against me.

I’ve decided to get the house up for sale; maybe I can sell before the market falls apart, and take advantage when prices drop in the part of the country that interests me.

But if I stay put and prices plunge, I’ll be stuck in an area I hate. But is being someplace I hate with an affordable roof over my head better than living in a higher cost area when your retirement portfolio has just collapsed?
This was a difficult post to read. So sorry you're in this situation and feeling depressed. Are you alone? Do you have a mortgage? Do you have debt?

You mentioned sitting on cash and bonds later in your post. I run a similar scenario in my head, if my DH passed. I'd be lost. It's more the emotional toll, I can reduce my spending in a heartbeat. That part is easy. Being alone scares me more than anything.

Your career is in Human Resources, so you must have experience with dire situations. I'd say, use your instincts. Human resources has a variety of challenges in human nature.

This might sound weird, but we live in a major university town. So much activity, students everywhere. I took a walk through the campus yesterday. Ghost town. Strangely, I enjoyed it. All by myself. There are silver linings if we look for them. The simple things get me through.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the responses. I had to disconnect for a couple of days just so I could try to get myself in the right frame of mind. I am feeling better and, while not jumping for joy, at least more optimistic that things will work out ok.<snip>

So I’m reversing my thinking as best I can. I have options. And I can keep irons in the fire for all of them and choose what is best for me. Maybe an interesting job offer eventually pops up, or maybe it’s a temporary move to a low cost state while I wait to see if things can happen for me in my preferred part of the country. And if not, I can go the expat route if needed. I’ll be just fine. Thanks everyone.

Based on this post you are clearly a very pragmatic, thoughtful, resilient person. I am so pleased to hear that you are feeling better about your situation; I was concerned after your first post.

Yes, it is extremely stressful when the rug is pulled out from under us - and that is in normal circumstances, let alone when the world is facing a pandemic with so many unknowns. We can't predict what will happen next, and that is very unsettling.

It sounds to me like you have done an excellent job of sorting through your options, accepting what you can and cannot control, and making a plan (to the extent any of us can plan right now!)

My only advice for now would be to continue doing what you are doing:

1. keep taking those deep breaths
2. turn off the TV news!! no good will come from immersing yourself in it
3. keep in touch with friends and family remotely; it does wonders for one's mood

Good luck with the house sale. I have confidence you will land on your feet whatever happens next. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom