FI (theoretically) but won't pull trigger quite yet

madsquopper

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, ran the numbers using a variety of calculators (including Firecalc) and I'm pretty much there, although I'd like to have a bit more cushion given the uncertainty of the markets and the rest of the world right now. So won't quit just yet; job is relatively interesting, low stress (except for occasional commute hassles), pays great, and I'm only working 4 days a week (32 hours) anyhow. Might cut back to 3 days soon, and if management ever started being a pain in the ass I'd just bag it completely.

Some of the general assumptions I used were:
3.75% withdrawal rate, inflation adjusted
Live to 100, no need to leave anything
3% inflation average over time
Take SS at 66 (I'm 56) but only assume I'll get 75% of actual by that point
approx 65/35 equity/bond mix

Larry

Congratulations! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to be FI?

If you can live on 3.75% (inflation adjusted) until you take SS, will you be giving yourself a big raise then? I need to figure this out for myself too.

After 2008, I moved my AA balance from 65/35 to 60/40. The drop was just too gut wrenching for me when I wasn't earning. A much worse drop in my portfolio during the tech crash didn't bother me as much because I was working then & adding to it.

All the best.

Hi Larry - My numbers are pretty similar except that I use 3.6% withdrawal rate, cut off 95, inflation 3.5% and I take SS at 62. Good idea to cut down to 3 days.

Might cut back to 3 days soon, and if management ever started being a pain in the ass I'd just bag it completely.

Congratulations!

Keep us posted on how/if this impacts your actions, life, attitudes, etc. (I am still trying to figure this out for myself.)

I'm piggybacked onto my spouse's health plan (she's a retired teacher with the state); not the cheapest plan but at least highly rated (Blue Cross Mid Atlantic). The main decision right now is what to do about the mortgage (when/if to pay off); we recently refinanced into a 15 year at 4%, 150K principal but the house is probably worth 650- 700K. For now I'm assuming no early payoff.

Larry

Congrats! Looks like you're in very good shape and your assumptions are very conservative, IMO, except maybe your asset allocation. Do you have long-term care? If not, may want to consider it.

Dave

Yes, decided to get LTC a few years ago. Ideally we'd never have to use it but after watching 3 out of 4 of our parents need it, probably not sorry.

3% inflation average over time

Using 3% average inflation over time isn't a good idea as it's not very typical. For example, if your retirement has high inflation at the beginning followed by lower inflation later and that "averages" to 3% inflation, you'll have very different results than if inflation is near 3% every year. And also very different from having low inflation at the beginning followed by high inflation but also "averaging" 3%.

I'd suggest you let FireCalc run using historical inflation rates. And try to stay away from "average" returns on investment as well.

Back
Top Bottom